OTHER Receiver question

Bqnpr

Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
USA
What's the current and best FTA receiver, I'm a newbie in FTA and would like some orientation.
Thank you in advanced.

Iam starting from cero and would like to have an idea before I buy anything.
Once again Thank you

Well Iam not sure if this will help but I am looking 110 and 119 I'm from USA
110W and 119W Ku band are pretty well tied up with DISH and what doesn't belong to DISH belongs to DIRECTV. None of that content is FTA.

There is no C band at 110W and just Univision at 119W.

This is why it is important that you tell us specifically what you're looking for.

There are only a few unscrambled channels on 110/119 satellites. The channels are encrypted and require a subscription and a proprietary receiver available from Dish Network.
Oh ok I see so what satellite would be to get FTA?

110W and 119W Ku band are pretty well tied up with DISH and what doesn't belong to DISH belongs to DIRECTV. None of that content is FTA.

There is no C band at 110W and just Univision at 119W.

This is why it is important that you tell us specifically what you're looking for.
OK I didn't know that thank you
I want USA channels, sports, movies, anything entertainment, anything for kids.
Sorry if I asking these question I'm totally new on this.

I assume you have an old DishNetwork Dish 500. That is way to small for FTA.
You will want to start by getting a dish like this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5337980106&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Inch-90-cm-Free-To-Air-FTA-Satellite-Dish-HD-LNBF-/122007810338?hash=item1c683b7122:m:mARR27kXDIyvEc6TXCU4sIQ
That dish is a really solid dish and comes with LNBF.
Then you want something like the linkbox 9000 over at www.hypermegasat.com.

Thank you KE4EST you answer my question, awesome I didn't want to buy nothing until I find the correct answer, didn't want to waste the money on equipment that was old or not working.
Thanks you for your help.

Reactions: KE4EST
Most of the good free content is on C band. I've used many of the Dreambox receivers and still feel they are the best ones, but made the transition to PCs with tuners and find them to be far more versatile/capable than any receiver.

Most of the good free content is on C band. I've used many of the Dreambox receivers and still feel they are the best ones, but made the transition to PCs with tuners and find them to be far more versatile/capable than any receiver.
Awesome dem0nlord I will search for the Deambox sounds like what I'm looking for, Thank you

Dreambox is not a very popular receiver in North America and as a newbie, you probably will want a receiver that hobbyists use, are familiar with and can assist with your set-up and questions. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the brand, but they are not very common here. KE4EST mentioned a great receiver and you might check out any Manhattan 1997 units still available as they are on close-out. You have many members here that are happy to help you get started!

If you have room to install a 10' C-band dish, there is much more programming on C-band. C-band dishes are usually found for free on Craigslist if you will remove from their yard. If you don't see a listing, place a wanted ad. For an investment of time and some labor, you can own a dish that may have cost $1,000-2,0000 15-20 years ago. Invest a few hundred more dollars and you will have a system that will bring in a lot of free programming!

Dreambox is not a very popular receiver in North America and as a newbie, you probably will want a receiver that hobbyists use, are familiar with and can assist with your set-up and questions. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the brand, but they are not very common here. KE4EST mentioned a great receiver and you might check out any Manhattan 1997 units still available as they are on close-out. You have many members here that are happy to help you get started!

If you have room to install a 10' C-band dish, there is much more programming on C-band. C-band dishes are usually found for free on Craigslist if you will remove from their yard. If you don't see a listing, place a wanted ad. For an investment of time and some labor, you can own a dish that may have cost $1,000-2,0000 15-20 years ago. Invest a few hundred more dollars and you will have a system that will bring in a lot of free programming!
Great advice Titanium, you're right about having assistance or if I have a question of a receiver that hobbyists normaly use, would be easier to get help buying a receiver that is more popular in the FTA community.
Thank you Titanium

Sent from my SM-N920T using the SatelliteGuys app!

OK I didn't know that thank you
I want USA channels, sports, movies, anything entertainment, anything for kids.
FTA isn't nearly as comprehensive in the US as it is in other regions. Finding something interesting to watch when you want to watch it is much of the battle. Sports is difficult at best. Movies aren't easy either.

Galaxy 19 is a good starting place for Ku but know that less than half of the programming there is in English and there are only five or so channels in Spanish (as this appears to be your native tongue).