Receiver reboots quite often

doc000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
I have a ViP 622, and in the last few months, it's started just randomly rebooting.

It turns off completely (I guess it's the normal power up cycle), and then I get the "Acquiring Signal" notice. Usually, it takes a couple of minutes to go through that, sometimes it just takes a few seconds. When it gets the signal really quickly, I know it's going to reboot again in just a few min, which it does.

Most days, it might happen once or twice. Sometimes, I can go a few days without it happening. However, on Mondays, it does it constantly for a couple of hours after I first turn it on. After I turn it on, without fail now, within 5 min, it starts this rebooting cycle. It reboots, comes back, and then a couple of minutes later it does it again. After a couple of hours, it seems to settle down. Sometimes, I can unplug it for a while (up to an hour) and that seems to makes it settle down, sometimes not. This behavior happens every Monday morning, like clockwork. It doesn't do that on the other days.

At first, I thought it was a hardware issue and that the receiver may be dying, but with the pattern of behavior on Mondays, I'm wondering if it's some sort of software issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Having the SAME issue as doc000 described with my 622 as well. The 612 in the bedroom does NOT have this issue. Perhaps Dish is doing some sort of 622 software/firmware updates on Monday morning.

Are you trying to receive sat 77? It's gone now.

No idea. I just read about that, so I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen 77 listed as a satellite for any channels I watch. Yesterday morning (Sunday), when I turned it on, several of the HD channels (not all) just weren't there. No error message or anything. I would switch to them, just get a black screen for several seconds, and then it would automatically switch down to the SD version. About half an hour later, it rebooted and those HD channels were there again.

This whole issue started earlier this year, just before summer time. I thought maybe the receiver was overheating or something, but I don't think that's the problem.

No idea. I just read about that, so I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen 77 listed as a satellite for any channels I watch. Yesterday morning (Sunday), when I turned it on, several of the HD channels (not all) just weren't there. No error message or anything. I would switch to them, just get a black screen for several seconds, and then it would automatically switch down to the SD version. About half an hour later, it rebooted and those HD channels were there again.

This whole issue started earlier this year, just before summer time. I thought maybe the receiver was overheating or something, but I don't think that's the problem.
61.5 and 72 is all I've ever been pointed to on the 622 and the 612. The problem appears to be model specific (happens on the 622 only).

Unless it is a coincedence & your hard drive is failng, if you are pointed to eastern arc do a check switch and if asked you may lose channels do you want to proceed answer yes so the reciever no longer looks for 77 should fix it.

Unless it is a coincedence & your hard drive is failng, if you are pointed to eastern arc do a check switch and if asked you may lose channels do you want to proceed answer yes so the reciever no longer looks for 77 should fix it.

How do I do that?

How do I do that?
Menu button (Top left area of the remote), then type in 6 > 1 > 1. Once there, select the check switch option on the right, and take note of the satellites currently present for both tuners (Just because you see them here does not mean your receiver is currently getting them, just that it was initially setup with them). If you see satellites 77/72.7/61.5, go ahead and select the test option on the bottom and once it’s done select Save on the two pop up’s saying that you are missing a satellite. If this was your problem, 77 will go away and you will see X/72.7/61.5 instead, this is fine. If you initially see only 72.7/61.5 or 119/110/129 then you may have a signal problem, so run the test but do NOT Save if you get the missing satellites prompt. If you get that message without 77 on screen then it’s time to call Dish and get a Tech scheduled.

The capacitors in the power supply are going bad. If you popped the cover, you'd probably see several that are bulging.

Bulging-top.jpg

Menu button (Top left area of the remote), then type in 6 > 1 > 1. Once there, select the check switch option on the right, and take note of the satellites currently present for both tuners (Just because you see them here does not mean your receiver is currently getting them, just that it was initially setup with them). If you see satellites 77/72.7/61.5, go ahead and select the test option on the bottom and once it’s done select Save on the two pop up’s saying that you are missing a satellite. If this was your problem, 77 will go away and you will see X/72.7/61.5 instead, this is fine. If you initially see only 72.7/61.5 or 119/110/129 then you may have a signal problem, so run the test but do NOT Save if you get the missing satellites prompt. If you get that message without 77 on screen then it’s time to call Dish and get a Tech scheduled.

Thanks! I'll give that shot and see if that fixes it.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)