receiver remote antenna

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
my 625 came with the little external antenna that screws in to the port for it. Can I put a 5 ft piece of coax on that to so I can hide the receiver in the closet and put the antenna up on a wall..??

i have a single set up. 1.
btw it looks like it would be ok to split the antenna after the 5 ft and have short pieces to 2 different rooms that have TVs on the same channel all the time...?? only 1 tv is on at a time..

That reminds me... I'm guessing the attenuator is to keep the antenna from pulling in interference and/or broadcasting TV2 over the air right? I for the life of me can't find the attenuators that came with my receivers, I guess RadioShack has them... Are they really necessary for that though? I would think not as long as there's no interference on the TV2 and I really couldn't care less if someone happened to be able to pick up what I'm watching on TV2 :D .

That reminds me... I'm guessing the attenuator is to keep the antenna from pulling in interference right? I for the life of me can't find the attenuators that came with my receivers, I guess RadioShack has them... Are they really necessary for that though? I would think not as long as there's no interference on the TV2.

I've never used them.

Now that I think about it... A few years back an installer used that method, and didn't use the attenuator either.

my 625 came with the little external antenna that screws in to the port for it. Can I put a 5 ft piece of coax on that to so I can hide the receiver in the closet and put the antenna up on a wall..??

If you hide your receiver, tv1 IR remote won't work without line of sight. Everybody else skipped ahead without mentioning you need to replace it with a UHF Pro remote, and then if it's done right you shouldn't need to extend your antenna.

To everybody else, the attenuator is only necessary if backfeeding the antenna and tv2 output on air. If you don't have it, modulate tv2 output to cable, which is a closed system and will not broadcast over the antenna.

i would have guessed the antenna was a substitute for the front sensor..??? are you sure..??

i would have guessed the antenna was a substitute for the front sensor..??? are you sure..??

He's right. We overlooked the fact that the TV1 remote is IR-only. You need a UHF Pro remote in order for the radio to work. Unless you plan on using the TV2 remote for TV1.

TV2 remote always has the UHF function. With the receiver, the TV1 remote is pretty much always IR when it's installed. So you may need a different remote for TV1 to get it working the way you've been looking at doing it. What model is your current TV1 remote (on the back at the top, something like 5.0, 6.3 etc)?

On another note, if you're only using one TV at a time, you can put the receiver in single mode, and the TV2 remote should control both TV's (they would always have the same picture).

Just putting a long piece of wire into your antenna input won't necessarily improve performance. Simply switching to band B greatly improves performance. You may not realize, but antennas are designed very precisely. The optimal length of an antenna is proportional to the wavelength of the signal. So 5 ft may not be optimal and may even be worse than the original antenna.

My 2 cents.

Because the DVR is in a different room in the opposite direction from TV2, we would have to point the remote over our shoulder to change channels. Very awkward. I ran a separate 50+ foot length of coax through the basement to put the antenna behind TV2. Works great.

Last edited:
He's right. We overlooked the fact that the TV1 remote is IR-only. You need a UHF Pro remote in order for the radio to work. Unless you plan on using the TV2 remote for TV1.

There is another alternative. A number of years ago I got something similar from Radio Shack. Sender and receiver look like small pyramids. Just put the receiver pyramid in front of the sensor to control TV1 output.
Do a google search for "Radio Shack remote control extender" It's less than $45.
And as others have said, you can put the antenna on coax to move it from behind the Dish receiver. I had to do that for the remote 2 to control the TV2 output reliably.

There is another alternative. A number of years ago I got something similar from Radio Shack. Sender and receiver look like small pyramids. Just put the receiver pyramid in front of the sensor to control TV1 output.
Do a google search for "Radio Shack remote control extender" It's less than $45.
And as others have said, you can put the antenna on coax to move it from behind the Dish receiver. I had to do that for the remote 2 to control the TV2 output reliably.

IR to UHF converter is what that is. I feel it would be cheaper to run the pigtail and buy a new remote.

I've had mine located in my attic for the past 2 years..the antenna that it is. I was having issues with the remote barely working in the back bedroom. Now I can use it anywhere in the house.

IR to UHF converter is what that is. I feel it would be cheaper to run the pigtail and buy a new remote.

Are you referring to TV! or TV2 tuner with your suggested set up? If the OP wants to put the Dish receiver in a cabinet, he would need some way to get the IR signal inside the cabinet for TV1. Additionally if he has any other IR devices, the IR to UHF would allow those to used as well.
In my situation with TV2 tuner, I could not reliably control TV2 tuner from either of the 2 tv's in different rooms. When I moved it away from behind the receiver and hid it behind some books on a bookshelf, it worked much better.

If he's planning on having his receiver in the closet, I'm suggesting that he sets up TV1 for UHF, and makes the extension on the antenna so he may get better remote response. I do not recommend using the IR-UHF converter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)