RECEIVER RESET CODES

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Is there a code for dish receivers to force a reset or just reset like direct has with 02468? ty for any replies and help:)

Is there a code for dish receivers to force a reset or just reset like direct has with 02468? ty for any replies and help:)

AFAIK that DirecTV code when entered immediately after a reset will cause the receiver to force a firmware download, if new firmware is available.

I know this is a little off topic but (I don't want to but just wondering) can your reformat a 722? I know with Directv you could because old receiver I had when I had then kept having problems and they made me reformat it couple times before they realized the receiver was bad not the software. Does that fix issues with it or does it just delete your recordings?

I know this is a little off topic but (I don't want to but just wondering) can your reformat a 722? I know with Directv you could because old receiver I had when I had then kept having problems and they made me reformat it couple times before they realized the receiver was bad not the software. Does that fix issues with it or does it just delete your recordings?

All that will do is refresh EPG. The receiver will not look for new software while "active". Putting the receiver in standby on both tuners should make it look for new software if available. It may take 15 minutes before getting to the 061 (Vital Information) screen. Also, the 3 am update usually looks at the spool on the satellite for the same software.

I know with Directv you could because old receiver I had when I had then kept having problems and they made me reformat it couple times before they realized the receiver was bad not the software.
IIRC, that functionality was eventually removed in favor of some fancy diagnostic tools that take a very long time to run.
Does that fix issues with it or does it just delete your recordings?
Usually it just erases everything (your recordings as well as your programming preferences). It also purged the guide data.

On the DISH side, I don't think there's any built-in way to reformat the internal hard drive. Formatting at the level that most are talking about is actually little more than a destructive testing process as opposed to reestablishing sectoring.

There is a code for the 501 and I assume that it applies to the 508 as well.No idea if it would work with any of the other receivers.Tech had me do this to my 501 yrs ago as it had basically locked all the dvr functions out.This did wipe everything from the drive but the dvr has worked great since then.Just remember this will completely wipe the drive!

Re-initialize HDD (Will Wipe Drive):

- Menu->6->3->Info->Browse->Theme->Play->Play->Recall

Yes, there is a very deliberately cumbersome set of buttons to push that will dump the memory and reformat the drive. I am not going to post it here, since you don not seem to need it. Yes, that process fixed a really bad problem my 722K had. It would not access any of my recordings. I did not want to RMA the box because it was not necessary to do so and I they would have sent me a fresh memory dumped and reformatted replacement anyway. The memory dump reformat is a drastic measure and will erase all recordings, but not all settings. In my case it did allow me to archive all my recordings; I just couldnt play them back from the DVR itself. There was an error message stating that the HDD was corrupted and it began the purge and reformat. My 722K has worked PERFECTLY since the dump and reformat. Don't expect any of the Dish Resolution Team to ever provide this info because the are probably prohibited from doing so. Dish is OK with power users like those on this forum using it--UNOFFICIALLY or at Tech Support's direction--but I'm sure they don't want Joe Blow knowing about it as they could just invoke it when NOT necessary and cost Dish more $$ and problems. Here's hoping you never need to use a dump and reformat.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)