Receiver Shot?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davey4000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I have an old RCA setup at my boat dock that's no longer working. Here are the specifics -

DRD430RG, Round dish, single LNB

The symptoms are that it searches for signal, and then goes to the data acquisition stage. it gets to 100 percent and that's it.

The system checks out OK and the signal strength is 95. I have switched transponders and even tried an old card. Even an old card should bring up channel 100...correct.

Oh yeah, I've tried every reboot method know to man.

Before I rush out and buy another receiver I wanted to check here and see if anyone had any ideas.

How long has it been since this setup has worked as expected?

What card is in the receiver (what does it look like)?

It is possible that the card has been retired and needs to be replaced.

This setup was installed about a year ago. The receiver was used, and D* made me buy a new access card ($20).

The card has a bunch of light blue squares on the left side and dark blue ones on the right. It says "rethink tv" in the lower right hand corner.

It has worked perfectly over the last year, but every so often I would have to reset it by unplugging and replugging the power cord.

harshness -

I didn't answer your first question...

It was working exactly one week before Thanksgiving. The next time I tried it was this Tuesday and it didn't work (hasn't since).

Davey,
If worked as receintly as this past November then it's not a card issue, your SS is fine, you've tried to reboot and that did not work....
Have you tried calling into D* for a re-hit or go on to the web page and do your own re-hit ?.

It is an older rec that will only get Mpeg 2 programming, but I 'm sure your not worried about the Mpeg 4 on the boat.

I would give them a call ....BEFORE I would go out and buy a new rec.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have not been able to find where to go on the web page to do my own re-hit (yes, I am registered and have a login). Do you mind pointing me in the right direction? I have spent a considerable amount of time looking on my own.

Jimbo,

I have not been able to find where to go on the web page to do my own re-hit (yes, I am registered and have a login). Do you mind pointing me in the right direction? I have spent a considerable amount of time looking on my own.

I have not done it myself, but I have seen the link posted, I will look and see what I can find.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have not done it myself, but I have seen the link posted, I will look and see what I can find.

Jimbo

Here ya go Davey,

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydirectv/mysystem/mySystemResendAuthorization.jsp?_requestid=443003

Jimbo

well, the re-hit didn't work. I suppose I will buy another receiver.

Do receivers and cards have to be married to each other to work, or can I buy a used receiver and put my almost new access card in it with no other effort involved? An older receiver will work fine for the boat.

well, the re-hit didn't work. I suppose I will buy another receiver.

Do receivers and cards have to be married to each other to work, or can I buy a used receiver and put my almost new access card in it with no other effort involved? An older receiver will work fine for the boat.

They have to be married to each other...D* may let you swap the card from the old receiver to the new receiver, but may not.

Still don't see why you don't just call D* and tell them that the rec on your boat quit and have them send a new one out, if you have the Protection plan it should be free (possibly shipping).

Jimbo

I did call D* when I was troubleshooting. They walked me through a few processes, did the re-hit, etc. to no avail. Since I don't have the protection plan they said a service call would cost $70, plus whatever it cost to fix the problem, if fixable, or I could buy a new receiver. I don't feel like paying $70 for a service call and would prefer to buy a new receiver (they call it upgrade). I thought you could buy regular non HD receivers in stores, but I guess not anymore. I have not seen them anywhere (yet).

Thanks for walking me through the basics. I bought two receivers and an antenna back in 1994 for $1500 and have been using them since. Prices have certainly changed since the early days. The only change has been when I added the used boat system a year ago. It was a little bit of a hassle adding the used receiver, but not too much. They just made me buy a new access card.

I guess it's time to upgrade to HD in the home and get a new regular receiver for the boat.

I did call D* when I was troubleshooting. They walked me through a few processes, did the re-hit, etc. to no avail. Since I don't have the protection plan they said a service call would cost $70, plus whatever it cost to fix the problem, if fixable, or I could buy a new receiver. I don't feel like paying $70 for a service call and would prefer to buy a new receiver (they call it upgrade). I thought you could buy regular non HD receivers in stores, but I guess not anymore. I have not seen them anywhere (yet).

Thanks for walking me through the basics. I bought two receivers and an antenna back in 1994 for $1500 and have been using them since. Prices have certainly changed since the early days. The only change has been when I added the used boat system a year ago. It was a little bit of a hassle adding the used receiver, but not too much. They just made me buy a new access card.

I guess it's time to upgrade to HD in the home and get a new regular receiver for the boat.

Sounds like a plan,
I don't know how long it takes for the Protection plan to go into effect, but if your not in a hurry you could always order the protection plan and call back.

Also, have you checked CC and BB for SD receivers ?
If you decide to have D* come out and upgrade you to HD at home, you can always have them add a SD to a bedroom and take it to the boat.
Or you could check ebay

Jimbo

Update -

I purchased a new receiver from BB for $69. I hooked it up (no changes in dish or orientation) and started viewing channel 100. I then called D* and they activated it.

There was no mention of a lease or change in plan. Everything is like it was except I have a different receiver. I am happy with the this resolution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTV We need...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)