Receiver Shuts Down

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blue Crystal

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Well I finally hit two sats while I was out by the dish on a short ribbon cable and the reception was great.
I connected to my long ribbon cable and moved everything inside.. Each time I connect my cable to the receiver the TV screen goes blank and so does the front of the receiver.
When I disconnect the coax the menu functions will show on the screen again.

Any Ideas.

There's a short somewhere in the long cable, that's grounding the LNB power to the shield, causing the receiver's power supply to drop out. Careful, it may kill the power supply in the receiver if left connected. Best fix is running a new cable to the dish.

I'd unhook both ends of the long cable run and check the center conductor for continuity with the shield (use an Ohmmeter) - if you have continuity try cutting the connectors off the cable and make sure the conductor on each end is not touching the shield then check it again. If you still get continuity your cable is shot and as eurosport84 said - you'll have to pull new cable.
Depending on how it is ran, I have seen coax get crushed and do this - especially in rocky soil. One of the advantages of running conduit...
If you DON'T get continuity, then your problem lies elsewhere.

The original C band systems had 4 cables in one ribbon. It had 2 coax, servo wires to control polarity and actuator motor with sensor wires.
My original system had one RG59 coax coming out of a Block Downconverter running to the receiver and a telephone cable running from a Tenna-Rotor to a Control Box, to turn the Feedhorn 90 degrees for polarity. I had to walk out to the dish to turn the Hand Crank to change satellites. It was a long time before I could afford an Actuator upgrade, and even longer before I was able to upgrade to the (then) modern LNB, which combined the LNA into the Block Downconverter and made one device.

I may be mistaken, but from what you wrote, I get the indication that you are connecting & disconnecting your cable with the receiver powered up. Don't do that, if you are, you could fry the receiver (adding to your problems?). Make sure the receiver is powered off before removing ANY cabling using the POWER switch on the back. Power it back on after all cables are reconnected.

Hope you find your cable problems -- you've found the right guys to help you.

Happy New Year

Status
Please reply by conversation.