Receiver suggestion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tbmac

Original poster
May 18, 2012
SC
Would I need the HMC receiver if it is just me and my 6yo who watch TV? I don't think it would get used to potential. Is everybody getting those these days? Also should I get 3 receivers even though I only have 2 TVs at this time. I will probably get one for my room before the end of the year but we are fine with what we have now.

I'm almost ready to take the plunge. I've never had satellite or cable on my own and the ex worked for charter so we had that for free. Thanks!

welcome :wave

couple thoughts...
-get everything you THINK you will need. As a brand new sub they give you the best deal. Up to 4 HD receivers and a DVR free. Once you're up and running if you decide to add something later you'll pay for it
-The HMC has 5 tuners. For $99 (normally $399) I think its worth it. I use to have 2 DVR's in the same room because I kept maxing out the 2 tuner limit when recording. Again get what you THINK you'll need

I agree with Iceberg, get everything upfront. If you even think that it is possible that you'll be getting a new tv in that other room anytime, go ahead and get it during install. There would be an upgrade charge if you called in more than 10 days after install.

If you mean the HR34, it does with the AM21N tuner. It has two ota tuners in it that integrates completely with the HR34.

What I needed to know where I live they don't carry the Fox station so would have to record it OTA. I considering adding D* if E* drops AMC. So you just ask for the AM21N tuner to be added at install?

I'm not sure if it is simply added to a work order or if you have to call and order it separately. It will likely cost you $50 either way.

The email about the HR34 talked like it has OTA built in to it. That all I need is to be able to get OTA ant lead to it. BTW they sent me a total of 3 emails. The 1st one didn't answer anything. I told them that. So they replied that the do have ability to record OTA "This is for HD DVR HR21 and up or an R22 receiver". I replied that I was wanting the HMC and that is when they replied w/ the info I stated above.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't have an ota tuner. I did read somewhere that if you add the AM21 ota tuner to the HR34 it will scan for ota channels.

yes you will need the AM21. None of the new HD DVR's have OTA built in (the older HR20 did)

Oh My they told me wrong. I can't believe that would happen NOT. :D Won't be doing anything for more than a month anyway. But wanted to start see what and how things far in advance.

What I needed to know where I live they don't carry the Fox station so would have to record it OTA. I considering adding D* if E* drops AMC. So you just ask for the AM21N tuner to be added at install?

Are you by chance in the Lubbock market? Looks like they turned on the Fox affiliate recently (along with the CW too)
Network Affiliate Local Channel HD Channel
IND KPTB 16 --
FOX KJTV -- 34
ABC KAMC -- 28
NBC KCBD -- 11
CBS KLBK -- 13
PBS KTXT -- 5
CW KLCW -- 22

and a thread on it
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/286020-new-locals-directv-lubbock.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.