Receiver to PC monitor via HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d55266

Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Hi guys,

Following your advice I bought a Sonicview HD8000 and I'm loving it. Thank you!

I need some more guidance in setting up the connection. You see, I use my 24 inch monitor to work and watch TV, to save space. I'm currently hooking my receiver directly to the monitor via a HDMI-DVI cable. This works ok but the burden is that I have to switch back and forth between the 2 connections.

I like the setting that I used for my Coolsat 5000. I hooked it up to the PC via a TV turner card. The TV feed is displayed by the card software. That way I could work AND watch TV simutaneously, and switch to fullscreen to just watch TV. Unfortunately this card only supports S-video input.

My question to you is: Do you have any good TV cards to recommend, one that supports HDMI? Do you know any better way to do this?

Thanks.
Peter.

Following your advice I bought a Sonicview HD8000 and I'm loving it.

Nobody advised buying anything in particular. In your previous thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ng-computer-should-i-get-hd-fta-receiver.html

You sound pleased ("I'm loving it") with the Sonicview. If anything, I advised not to buy it, admittedly based only on what I've read here (I'm looking for a new receiver myself, but cannot find one with the features I want). Not to change the subject, but you must tell me - should I buy one? Did something change since the last time I researched it?

There are video capture cards with HD inputs but they cost something like $700 at the cheapest. If you're watching TV in a little window it wouldn't be HD anyway, so couldn't you just use S-Video for that? For switching to fullscreen you should be able to use a DVI video switch or KVM. The only problem would be if your receiver can't output HD and SD video at the same time.

Edit: Another option would be to get a cheap PCI or USB DVB-S device and slave it off the Sonicview. That would let you see 4:2:2 feeds as well. There are some cheap PCI cards on eBay (e.g. Twinhan).

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts