Receiver Upgrade Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mindcrime

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
My son wants a DVR in his room. He doesn't have an HDTV. Im thinking of getting him a DVR off of ebay.

Are there any models i should avoid for any reason, such as age of model or features and reliability? Thanks.

eBay may not be the best choice to get a SD DVR. If there is an account balance on the access card, you will have to pay off the balance before DTV activates it. In addition, some people on eBay are selling leased receivers and some are selling owned receivers. Obviously, this can cause a problem if someone is selling a leased receiver that they have no right to sell.

Why not call DTV and see what they will charge you for the upgrade? Since you didn't provide the details on how many receivers and what type you currently are using, we have no way of knowing if you may need to have a multiswitch installed.

I have a total of 4 receivers

HR21-700
H20-100
and (2) D11-100 units

I did read on ebay where you should make sure the receiver is able to be re-authorized. I was trying to avoid paying retail cost of a new unit if possible.

I have a total of 4 receivers

HR21-700
H20-100
and (2) D11-100 units

I did read on ebay where you should make sure the receiver is able to be re-authorized. I was trying to avoid paying retail cost of a new unit if possible.

You can buy one locally , but as iwc5893 said, why not call D* and see what they will do for you, SD rec.'s are relatively cheap, possibly free thru D*.

You definatly need a Multiswitch (WB68) , it's possible that you already have one in place, D* will also supply this if nessasary.

You more than likely already have the 5 LNB dish set up from looking at your listing of rec's H 20/21 series rec's.
You already have 5 tuners, so the MS is more than likely already there, unless you have a rec. your not using.

Give them a call and see what it would cost for them to update you.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)