Receiver Upgrade Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have an HD-DVR (HR24-500) where I'd like the Genie to go and an owned standard (but now broken) R10 (where the existing HR24 would go to support a new HDTV).

Not sure if that's a "swm setup." Each box is controlled individually, and I can say I don't presently have the "whole house" wiring.

I will have to try calling. Is retention the best route for something like this? I find having to make such threats irritating, but I also don't want to spend $500 (or whatever) to get the new machine.

yes retention is the best

As for a SWM setup I'll say no as the R10 is old but the easiest way to look...are there 2 cables going into the HR24? If there is then it is not a SWM setup but they'll upgrade you

Hattiesburg/Laurel, MS. And, yes, they are HD only. But, the ABC affiliate says its HD and it is NOT. One of the worst pictures I have ever seen on a digital signal. Thankfully, I still have a waiver for ABC and Fox and those are STILL on my account. (I expect them to disappear any time now....)

A move may be in play if they do go away.

Just to be clear, you are in an mpeg4 market for your locals, not an hd only market. All hd channels are mpeg4, but not all mpeg4 channels are hd.

I have an HD-DVR (HR24-500) where I'd like the Genie to go and an owned standard (but now broken) R10 (where the existing HR24 would go to support a new HDTV).

Not sure if that's a "swm setup." Each box is controlled individually, and I can say I don't presently have the "whole house" wiring.

I will have to try calling. Is retention the best route for something like this? I find having to make such threats irritating, but I also don't want to spend $500 (or whatever) to get the new machine.

So I've been dreading calling DirecTv and have thus far avoided it. Was talking to the Mrs. when directv called her at home. She said they've been calling over and over. I screamed, "pick up and demand a genie!" She took the call, then called me back. We get a free genie and free install. The only extra cost was something for $3/month for streaming or something she didn't quite understand. That's a huge win in my book, even if I spend $3/month more.

Coming out next Wednesday.

Cool!

very cool.
The $3 is whole home DVR which allows you to watch programs recorded from the Genie on the HR24 in the other room (and vise versa). So if you record a sports event on Genie and want to view it in the bedroom later you could.

You dont need it so you can drop it and save $3. Then the Genie stuff can only be seen there and the HR24 stuff can be seen there

We're still loving the switch from DISH to Directv and the Genie. The clients were slow for the first day or two after install but so far since then everything has been pretty good. We've noticed the skip issue as well on both the Genie and the client but it's not too often that it happens.

very cool.
The $3 is whole home DVR which allows you to watch programs recorded from the Genie on the HR24 in the other room (and vise versa). So if you record a sports event on Genie and want to view it in the bedroom later you could.

You dont need it so you can drop it and save $3. Then the Genie stuff can only be seen there and the HR24 stuff can be seen there

I talked to a rep today about the Genie and he told me that if I used the Genie and a HR24, I would give up whole home capability. That I wouldn't be able to see recordings from the Genie on the HR24 situated TV and vice versa. Are you saying I would be able to and be able to save the $3 whole home fee too? Or am I misunderstanding something? He did say I could get the Genie for no $$ and, of course, have to do a new 2 year contract.

Or does the whole home still work if left connected that way? Which is really what I wanted - 3 more tuners (I already have two HR24 and would be giving one up).

yes you will be able to see the DVR recordings on the other DVR if you paid the $3 a month for whole home dvr

I read that you don't need the mini client (C31) if you have a certain Samsung TV. What should I be looking for (i.e. what's it called)?

Thanks again.

Look for rvu televisions. There is a thread somewhere on this forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts