Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
I am considering getting a Pansat 3500s for the AC3 but I will need a new audio system or at least a new audio receiver. I have a set of 5 cheap KLH speakers that do the job ok so I might just go the receiver only route. But all-in-ones are attractive because they would save space. My questions:

Can anyone recommend either a receiver only or one box solution for AC3 with the Pansat? I am looking at something under $200.

To Iceberg:

You mentioned a cheap system at Walmart. What was the brand/model of that?

Thanks

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
To Iceberg:

You mentioned a cheap system at Walmart. What was the brand/model of that?

Thanks

Durabrand...dont know the model. It was a discontinued model but it puts out AC-3...was pretty inexpensive. The speakers aint the best, but tis just for the AC-3 channels :)

The receiver needs to do Dolby Digital....NOT Dolby Prologic to work with AC-3 :)

Iceberg said:
Durabrand...dont know the model. It was a discontinued model but it puts out AC-3...was pretty inexpensive. The speakers aint the best, but tis just for the AC-3 channels :)

The receiver needs to do Dolby Digital....NOT Dolby Prologic to work with AC-3 :)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Optimus I have now does Prologic but not Digital-not the right connections either. I saw 2 durabrands down there yesterday. I would have to get someone to take one apart to see if it had the right connections I guess because it doesn't say much on the box. How is the sound on the Durabrand-do you just use it for the Pansat or everything too?

I think theres a GE model as well for cheap at Wallyworld. Also check with some of the liquidation places, they always seem to have alot of the all in one DVD players/amps with Dolby Digital and some surround speakers.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Optimus I have now does Prologic but not Digital-not the right connections either. I saw 2 durabrands down there yesterday. I would have to get someone to take one apart to see if it had the right connections I guess because it doesn't say much on the box. How is the sound on the Durabrand-do you just use it for the Pansat or everything too?

USe to have an Optimus receiver (when I worked at Rat Shack) :)

The Durabrand is basically for the AC-3 right now. Will be hooking the StarChoice system to it one of these days :)

Just so I understand, the connection I need to have on the audio unit in order for this to work is spdif optical-it sticks out and is square with a little hole in it?

Thanks for the heads-up Sharris. I am looking at the Pioneer 2500 system at Walmart as well. Anyone have this?

sharris said:
I think theres a GE model as well for cheap at Wallyworld. Also check with some of the liquidation places, they always seem to have alot of the all in one DVD players/amps with Dolby Digital and some surround speakers.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Just so I understand, the connection I need to have on the audio unit in order for this to work is spdif optical-it sticks out and is square with a little hole in it?

yep...well maybe

The Pansat 2500 I think has a RCA type output for the AC-3

yes, the optical is the output. You should have one on the back of your reciever with a little plug in it. as its optical it emits a red light and thats how it passes through a fibreoptic to your reciever. something like that.

You can look around eBay for some receivers that will work
I purchased a new JVC RX-D210 Audio / Video Control Receiver
for just under $180 including shipping just recently. It has both the Optical and Coaxial Inputs. Works great with my Pansat 2500

Iceberg said:
yep...well maybe

The Pansat 2500 I think has a RCA type output for the AC-3

So as long as it is spdif (coaxial or optical) it will work then? In other words do they make cables that will connect coaxial spdif to optical spdif?

I have no heard of such a thing, but that does not mean it doesn't exist. If it does I would imagine its relatively expensive and it would prolly be better to find a reciever that matches the output on your pansat.

carload said:
How about the Extigy mentioned here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=561829&postcount=3? Creative Labs is selling refurb models for $60 on eBay. Would that work?

Yes, those are the units Creative labs is selling directly on ebay and they will indeed decode AC3. I'm using one right now with my Pansat 2500A and it works. I didn't buy mine directly from creative labs however. I bought it from another seller who bought it refurbished from creative labs on ebay and then after using it about a year sold it again on ebay. I believe he used it for some other purpose like digital recording on his PC and later moved on to a higher end product. Anyway, the extigy will work. You'll need analog speakers to connect to the outputs of the Extigy. It uses the little 3.5mm stereo jacks like computer speakers and headphones use, but you could probably use an adapter cable if you needed different jacks. You probably need to use amplified speakers as I don't know whether the device could really effectively drive unamplified speakers directly.

As for the Durabrand units at Walmart, be careful. while it is true that at one time there may have been one durabrand unit that Walmart carried that had a spdif input and would decode AC3, I believe all of the cheap ones they carry now do NOT and only have analog inputs. In fact, before I bought the Extigy this is exactly what I bought only to be dissapointed by the fact it wouldn't do what I wanted and had no spdif in. After that I bought the Extigy after I saw on another forum a post saying the Extigy would do this. Anyway, now I have the Extigy decoding the AC3 from the Spdif out on my pansat and feeding analog out to the durabrand speakers.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
So as long as it is spdif (coaxial or optical) it will work then? In other words do they make cables that will connect coaxial spdif to optical spdif?

If your reciever has either optical or coaxial, you can use whatever your reciever has. The extigy, I believe, has both optical and coaxial spdif input. I've only used the Coaxial input but I would think the optical should work just as well. If you use optical you'll probably need an optical cable which may cost more.

As for converters, they do exist and at one time radio shack used to sell one fairly cheap. I believe it was in the $20 or less range. I know because I bought one there once, but that was a good while ago and I needed it for a completely different purpose back then. So, I don't know if they still carry them or not, but they used to.

Stefan said:
As for converters, they do exist and at one time radio shack used to sell one fairly cheap. I believe it was in the $20 or less range. I know because I bought one there once, but that was a good while ago and I needed it for a completely different purpose back then. So, I don't know if they still carry them or not, but they used to.

These are currently on clearance at Radio Shack (they won't carry them anymore) along with other products from their optical SPDIF product line. I recently got one for $10, along with a $2 optical 'Y' adapter and 99 cent pack of optical dust plugs. Look for them soon as most stores in New Orleans have run out. Good luck!

I have an Audigy which appears to have the needed jacks but I think by time I buy the necessary (long) cables and speakers it wouldn't be worth it. I think my best bet is to go with the Pansat 3500 and a new audio receiver (overdue to upgrade anyway) to use with my existing setup. I could sell the Coolsat on Ebay to recoup part of the money. Thanks for the idea though.

Stefan said:
Yes, those are the units Creative labs is selling directly on ebay and they will indeed decode AC3. I'm using one right now with my Pansat 2500A and it works. I didn't buy mine directly from creative labs however. I bought it from another seller who bought it refurbished from creative labs on ebay and then after using it about a year sold it again on ebay. I believe he used it for some other purpose like digital recording on his PC and later moved on to a higher end product. Anyway, the extigy will work. You'll need analog speakers to connect to the outputs of the Extigy. It uses the little 3.5mm stereo jacks like computer speakers and headphones use, but you could probably use an adapter cable if you needed different jacks. You probably need to use amplified speakers as I don't know whether the device could really effectively drive unamplified speakers directly.

As for the Durabrand units at Walmart, be careful. while it is true that at one time there may have been one durabrand unit that Walmart carried that had a spdif input and would decode AC3, I believe all of the cheap ones they carry now do NOT and only have analog inputs. In fact, before I bought the Extigy this is exactly what I bought only to be dissapointed by the fact it wouldn't do what I wanted and had no spdif in. After that I bought the Extigy after I saw on another forum a post saying the Extigy would do this. Anyway, now I have the Extigy decoding the AC3 from the Spdif out on my pansat and feeding analog out to the durabrand speakers.

"I have an Audigy which appears to have the needed jacks but I think by time I buy the necessary (long) cables and speakers it wouldn't be worth it. I think my best bet is to go with the Pansat 3500 and a new audio receiver (overdue to upgrade anyway) to use with my existing setup. I could sell the Coolsat on Ebay to recoup part of the money. Thanks for the idea though."

Well, whatevers best for you may depend on your particular situation. Perhaps you can find a reciever that will better fit your needs, but the point with the Extigy is that it will function as a stand alone unit not attached to a computer. In other words the Extigy can be used just like a reciever without any PC attached to it. Of course the Audigy, being a PCI card, wouldn't be able to function in a stand alone configuration like this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)