Receivers from Far East needed repair

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
A few years ago I installed some receivers for my friends for 97 W. Recently, 2 of them stopped working. In July, I repaired Richard's receiver, after finding faulty (a little swollen) electrolytic capacitor. And yesterday, Stan asked for checking his receiver. Sure enough, it was the same capacitor... the difference was, that the first receiver was dead all the time, whereas, the second started working normally after switching in off and later, on. Sometimes it kept working just a few minutes, other times it was on for more than an hour. Typical "intermittent"...
Anyway, the cap was removed (it was quite warm when touched with finger), and replaced with another, of higher voltage.
Annotated pictures follow.
Cheers, polgyver
thumb_IMG_3786_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4854_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4856_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4865_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4868_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4869_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_4870_1024.jpg

It is always good, when you don't have to replace a whole receiver, but just a capacitor! :) Nice work!

I've seen various tips for choosing your replacement capacitors in power supplies, as to not get the same problem again:
- higher voltage
- higher temperature (105 degree Celsius, instead of (normal) 85 degrees)
- low ESR-capacitors (instead of 'normal' ones)
- adding a ceramic low value capacitor parallel to the new capacitor.

I'm no expert at this, but I thought I'd share these tips.
I keep a few 'binned' devices, to desolder spare capacitors from, if possible. Then there is no waiting/delivery time for new ones... ;)

Greetz,
A33

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts