receiving D* signal in West Indies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maf99

Dec 8, 2004
I have a home in the Turks & Caicos Islands (just south of the Bahamas) and receive all of the programming for my U.S. based subscription using a 6' dish. However, I can't receive any of my HD signals except CBS & NBC. I assume it's because I need a triple LNB even though I'm receiving strong signals on most transponders on all three satellites as is. Is there a triple LNB fix for a large dish? Or, is there some other workaround so I can receive the signal for the rest of my HD package (ESPNHD, DiscoverHD, BravoHD, etc.)?

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Binghamton, NY
What transponders are you getting for each satellite?

CBS and NBC HD are on the 101 satellite. The others are on 110 and 119. The 110 sat requires a special LNB.

I have no idea if there is a large dish equivalent to the Phase III dish.

numb nutz2010

Nov 9, 2004
Legal?

Q: Is DIRECTV service available in Canada or Mexico?
A: We are legally prohibited from transmitting our signal outside the United States.

From http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/FAQ_DTVBasics.dsp#8

Not only does that apply to Canada or Mexico, that means anywhere outside the US. If you are getting a DirecTV signal outside the US... it is being done illegally. Didn't you see the post about piracy?

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hold on a minute. I agree that it is not legal for D* to transmit there signal outside of the US&P however I am not convinced it is "illegal" to receive this signal. Also calling this piracy goes too far. Piracy suggests that you are not paying for this reception. This person merely has a vacation home in a foreign country but legally pays for his subscription.

ramcm7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2004
You'd think that with the spot beam technology, D* could stop the signal right at the US border.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
numb nutz2010 said:
Q: Is DIRECTV service available in Canada or Mexico?
A: We are legally prohibited from transmitting our signal outside the United States.

From http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/FAQ_DTVBasics.dsp#8

Not only does that apply to Canada or Mexico, that means anywhere outside the US. If you are getting a DirecTV signal outside the US... it is being done illegally. Didn't you see the post about piracy?

Piracy means you do not pay for it....and that is not allowed here...but if he is paying the bill, who gives a flying monkey where it is.

He isn't really breaking any legal rules. Heck, there are people on here who have a Canadian satellite service :)

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
You really couldn't stop a spot beam right at the international border.

As long as he's a paying customer I don't see the harm.

numb nutz2010

Nov 9, 2004
un-informed?

I know you don't want to see this... and you're going to flame me for it... but here goes.

Acctually, per webster-
[url said:
http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary[/url] ]

Main Entry: pi·ra·cy
Pronunciation: 'pI-r&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratEs pirate
1 : an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery
2 : robbery on the high seas
3 : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright

Under definition 3, DirecTv does not authorize it's subscirbers to utilize their signal outside the US. In fact, they strictly prohibit this under the customer agreement. That's not to mention that receiving signal outside of the US without authorization is violating the FCC regulations. Under both of these situations it is not only piracy, but it is also illegal.
Who gives a flying monkey? I do, I don't want to be punished by increased charges to allow DirecTv to track down these people and prosecute them. Those who abuse the system are only making it harder on those of us who decide to abide by the rules and laws in place.

For all of those in Canada ( and other countries ) receiving D*, they should be punished for breaking the law ( both Canadian and US).

For all intensive purposes, those in the US receiving foreign signals without authorization should be punished under the law as well.

Let the flaming begin-

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
numb nutz2010 said:
I
Under definition 3, DirecTv does not authorize it's subscirbers to utilize their signal outside the US. In fact, they strictly prohibit this under the customer agreement. That's not to mention that receiving signal outside of the US without authorization is violating the FCC regulations. Under both of these situations it is not only piracy, but it is also illegal.
piracy is not paying for the subscription
Who gives a flying monkey? I do, I don't want to be punished by increased charges to allow DirecTv to track down these people and prosecute them. Those who abuse the system are only making it harder on those of us who decide to abide by the rules and laws in place.
so, if someone is PAYING a bill, whats the problem here?
For all of those in Canada ( and other countries ) receiving D*, they should be punished for breaking the law ( both Canadian and US).
if they are hacking the signal, I agree. If they are paying, let them pay. They aren't doing anything wrong.
For all intensive purposes, those in the US receiving foreign signals without authorization should be punished under the law as well.

Let the flaming begin-
SC & ExpressVu don't care where you are located, as long as you pay the bill.
I am a PAYING customer to ExpressVu for over a year
I am a PAYING customer to StarChoice for a couple months now
I ordered both my systems from Canada and they shipped them to the US with NO PROBLEMS
I called StarChoice and asked them if I took my unit to the US, can I receive a signal. They said "Yes you can and you can call us and order PPV if you'd like, Mr. Iceberg". There have been articles in US papers about people who subscribe to Canadian TV...

I have a problem with people who are stealing satellite signals...but if they are in the US or Canada, they still have to go find them. But if you are a PAYING customer, I don't see the problem. My god, if I lived a couple hundred miles north, I'd be in Canada :)

Cripes, next thing you're going to say "moving" or haiving a free to air system is illegal too :rolleyes:

ramcm7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2004
DirecTV only has authority to broadcast their content in the US. Bell and StarChoice likewise in Canada only. Part of the user agreement, I believe is your agreement that it will be used according to their terms, in the proper country. If you do so otherwise, you made a contractual misrepresentation. What that means legally probably varies by jurisdiction.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
ramcm7 said:
What that means legally probably varies by jurisdiction.

To a certain extent that is true, however most states now follow the UCC. Under the UCC it is hard to see what D* would be able to get from you in damages, as you are actually not damaging them, but rather giving them money that they would not otherwise have. Also, since it is a contractual agreement you are breaking you cannot get arrested or anything like that, it is only a civil matter. And the chances that D* would take the time to file suite against a paying customer, regardless of the location, is slim.

stevesmall

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 17, 2004
South Jersey
maybe turks and caicos could bill directv for violating their airspace ??????????

some of you need to lighten up, hes paying for the service

numb nutz2010

Nov 9, 2004
Enough.

Silver Surfer10793 said:
Also calling this piracy goes too far. Piracy suggests that you are not paying for this reception. This person merely has a vacation home in a foreign country but legally pays for his subscription.

How can you legally pay for a service that is obtained illegally?
-also see notes below regarding piracy
Iceberg said:
piracy is not paying for the subscription
I'm sorry, was I unclear in the exact definition given by an accredited publisher of THE most widely used dictionary?

piracy- D3) the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright

does that say ANYTHING about paying? no, it says " the unauthorized use"

so, if someone is PAYING a bill, whats the problem here?

that's a moot point now.

if they are hacking the signal, I agree. If they are paying, let them pay. They aren't doing anything wrong.

I'm sorry you feel that breaking the law isn't doing anything wrong.

SC & ExpressVu don't care where you are located, as long as you pay the bill.
I am a PAYING customer to ExpressVu for over a year
I am a PAYING customer to StarChoice for a couple months now
I ordered both my systems from Canada and they shipped them to the US with NO PROBLEMS
I called StarChoice and asked them if I took my unit to the US, can I receive a signal. They said "Yes you can and you can call us and order PPV if you'd like, Mr. Iceberg". There have been articles in US papers about people who subscribe to Canadian TV...

Good for you, I'm glad you are paying for service, I really am. As per the other companies, if they get fined... or if they provide signal against FCC regulations, so be it.

I have a problem with people who are stealing satellite signals...but if they are in the US or Canada, they still have to go find them. But if you are a PAYING customer, I don't see the problem. My god, if I lived a couple hundred miles north, I'd be in Canada :)

You have your opinion, I have mine. I just see things differently than you.

Cripes, next thing you're going to say "moving" or haiving a free to air system is illegal too :rolleyes:

I have no problem with FTA, it is simply that, free. That being the case they are non-profit orginizations who are authorized to broadcast without boundaries to all who wish to receive the signal.
However "moving" is illegal. That's why you call it "moving" and not "falsifying documents that you are submitting to the FCC in order to receive a service that you are otherwise not eligable to receive."

Ya know what? I'm not really up to disputing all your little "tricks to circumvent the system". That's all I have to say on this matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)