Receiving KU East and West satellites on a moving dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adrian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
What do i require to account for the different skew on West and East KU satellites?

read some threads on poor man's h to h to get a better idea of how a motor does that... basically, the clarke belt is an arc above the equator... in theory, if you put a pole in the ground at the proper angle to account for both elevation and skew, you could pull in the full belt by just moving dish left and right, without fiddling with lnb location since the pole already accounts for skew. Motors work on the same premise, but are a lot more exact in how far the move left and right, so it can be automated and motorized, and you won't have to go out and manually move dish...

read some threads on poor man's h to h to get a better idea of how a motor does that... basically, the clarke belt is an arc above the equator... in theory, if you put a pole in the ground at the proper angle to account for both elevation and skew, you could pull in the full belt by just moving dish left and right, without fiddling with lnb location since the pole already accounts for skew. Motors work on the same premise, but are a lot more exact in how far the move left and right, so it can be automated and motorized, and you won't have to go out and manually move dish...

Huh?

a ghetto motor. I did this one and I know others have

set the mast to the same angle as your latitude (in my case 45 degrees)
set the elevation of the dish to declination (23)

voila..you can move the dish by hand and it would track the arc

What you've all described is the axis of a polar mount. I you were able to look North thru the axis (as you would "boresight" a cannon barrel), you would see the North Star (Polaris)

East/West KU Sats

Many thanks to all the contributors for the information provided.

East/West Ku sats

Iceberg i have read your reply with interest.What is a ghetto motor and kindly outline what "set elevation to declination (23)" means.
I have mounted my 90CM offset dish onto a polar mount and enquire how i account for my measurements as the dish has an offset angle of 22 degrees.Where i am my latitude is 34 with a declination of 5.

"ghetto motor" means you have to move the dish by hand. That's what some of us have called that. Ghetto move means kinda the same thing where you move the dish by hand to the different satellites

Ghetto motor would be to set up the mast/dish like you were using a motor so you wouldnt need to adjust the elevation

The declination angle I get from here (I have a SG2100 motor)
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/DECLINATION-ANGLE-TABLE.htm

Since I'm at 45N I take 30-declination (6.81) and get 23 :)

I
I have mounted my 90CM offset dish onto a polar mount and enquire how i account for my measurements as the dish has an offset angle of 22 degrees.Where i am my latitude is 34 with a declination of 5.

oh boy. The 22 degree offset don't worry about as its built into the elevation level on the side of the dish. The elvation on the dish would be aimed like normal.

East/West sats on 90cm offset dish/Polar mount

I am revisiting this thread.
There must be someone out there who has done something similar.I have copied the polar mount from my C band polar mount and mounted the dish on to that.My problem is that being in the Southern hemisphere i do not have a KU satellite above my true north position.The nearest being 21 degrees to the left and 27 degrees to the right.
I have removed my actuator from the new polar mount as it is easier going "Ghetto" style when looking for a single from a satellite.Any comments will be appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)