Receiving Los Angeles DMA channels, but...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

telarium

Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Currently I live in a fairly remote area of Colorado and, for the HD network channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS), I receive the Los Angeles locals. Being a native New Yorker, I'd like to receive the local New York networks instead of the Los Angeles networks.

Would this be possible? Is this merely a phone call to DirecTV?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Interesting. I qualify for the Denver locals -- however I don't believe I get those in HD. Instead, I get the Los Angeles locals in HD.

Edit: And would like to qualify for the New York DMA instead of the Los Angeles DMA.

Do you have a 3 LNB dish and older receivers. With an HR20 HD DVR or H20 HD receiver and 5 LNB dish and you qualify for Denver locals, then you can get HD versions. That would negate your ability to get New York locals though.

Currently I live in a fairly remote area of Colorado and, for the HD network channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS), I receive the Los Angeles locals. Being a native New Yorker, I'd like to receive the local New York networks instead of the Los Angeles networks.

Would this be possible? Is this merely a phone call to DirecTV?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

No, not in HD.

The latest distants law prohibits you from receiving distants from a time zone ahead of where you are. Unless you are grandfathered (already have them) you cannot get New York in Denver.

Do you have a 3 LNB dish and older receivers. With an HR20 HD DVR or H20 HD receiver and 5 LNB dish and you qualify for Denver locals, then you can get HD versions. That would negate your ability to get New York locals though.

I have a triple LNB with old receivers (none MPEG-4 capable).

I had the New York locals until a few days ago -- perhaps an audit on the account.

Thanks for all the responses thus far! I don't anticipate getting a 5 LNB or new receivers until I absolutely must.

Edit: Just checked, NY SD channels re-appeared.

Last edited:
Not necessarly so, just because you can get the SD versions of your locals doesn't automatically mean that you'll get the HD's. My brother in law in TN can get the Nashville SD locals but D* says he can't get the HD version. IIRC folks in the Raleigh DMA also have issues getting the HD versions of their locals, some zip codes can and others can't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.