Recent ExpressVu signal problems

Jaspear said:
Your Mileage May Vary. Don't blame me if you try my suggestions and your receiver blows up! :D

Given that your 5800 is currently in Boat Anchor Mode, trying the old smart card certainly won't make it any worse!

Understood.

At this point I'm more annoyed at the prospect of possibly having to take the 5800 back up and leaving it to be repaired. By the time they repair it and I'm able to make another trip to go pick it up, 3 or 4 months will have passed. When I upgraded to my first 3100 I got it back home and tried to activate it but it was in need of repair. On my next trip to Toronto (less than a month after I purchased it) I tried to get them to exchange it but to no avail. I had to leave it to be repaired :mad:

Thanks again and have a good holiday.

KDH

Cdninva said:
Thanks again and have a good holiday.

KDH

You as well!

I understand (from reading posts on the ku-sat DBS forums) that Expressvu will replace receivers that have gone belly up - for a price. You might even be able to talk them into sending you a replacement for no charge if you can convince them that the software update caused the problem. Any replacement from them will probably be a refurbished unit, though.

Jaspear said:
You as well!

I understand (from reading posts on the ku-sat DBS forums) that Expressvu will replace receivers that have gone belly up - for a price. You might even be able to talk them into sending you a replacement for no charge if you can convince them that the software update caused the problem. Any replacement from them will probably be a refurbished unit, though.

I'd be happy with a refurbished unit if I could walk in and swap it right away. I'm driving up in Wed. and back on Sat. If I have to leave it with them I probably won't be able to pick it up for at least a couple of months.

My 5800 is definitely in need of repair. I've tried it with both the old card and the new card, various cables and after rebooting numerous times. It just freezez trying to aquire satellite signal. I can't even check signal strength or get to the info page.

For anyone who has been following this thread and is still interested, I just got off the phone with an Expressvu tech support rep who finally concluded that there was no way they could troubleshoot my 5800 receiver with me over the phone. That's what I tried to tell the first rep I spoke to today from work, but she insisted I call back when I was at home in front of the receiver. The first rep also told me that my receiver was no longer under warranty and a replacement would cost me $140 CDN. The second rep however told me that it was still under warranty (I bought it in May) and is sending the replacement. I wish I would have called last week because the odds of it arriving before I head back down to the States next Sat. are not real good. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

KDH

Iceberg said:
Good luck!

Hopefully the new one works better :)

Thanks.

I never had a problem with the old one until the latest software upgrade. I guess they don't believe in testing.

Cdninva said:
Thanks.

I never had a problem with the old one until the latest software upgrade. I guess they don't believe in testing.

well the equipment is the cousin of Dish Network, and we all know the reliable stability of Dish network software :rolleyes:

Well, I got the replacement 5800 and it works.

When I spoke to the BE rep on the phone he said it was probably just a coincidence that the receiver stopped working around that time. He said that the only software bug they were aware of was that the PVR's would not turn themselves on to record.

Funny thing though... I'm still getting occasional "searching for sat. signal" messages on both receivers now, but when only the 3100 was connected, there was no problem.

KDH

This is driving me nuts :mad:

If either the 5800 or 3100 receiver is connected by itself, it works fine, but if I connect both, they both start acting flaky. They get "searching for satellite" messages, some channels show nothing but a black screen, the receiver won't turn off with the remote.

Has anyone had similar problems or heard of anyone that has.

KDH

Iceberg said:
did you try a new LNB?

Not since I got the replacement 5800. I was getting the same results with the new LNB I bought so I returned it.

Have the same problem

Hi,
I have had the exact same problem with my 3100 bell receiver(acquiring sat signal and hanging). It started happening sometime in September/October and has progressively gotten worse. I tried replacing the cables and that didn't solve the problem. I have a 2700 and it works fine if I plug in where the 3100 is normally. The 3100 has progressed to the state that it doesn't do anything now. When I turn it on it is a black screen and hung. Bell can't seem to do anything except to offer to repair the receiver for $99 Cnd.

If you find another solution please post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)