Recently Began Having Pixelated Reception, Cutting In and Out.

drizler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
About a month ago my system which has worked fine for years began having issues with locals dropping in and out. It got worse over the next couple weeks and whenever there was any sort of heavy cloud cover got really bad.
I checked for trees and there was one branch way out there that just might have been in the way but it didn't really look to be dead center on the feed. I finally chopped it off and nothing changed. I checked the signal strength and it showed nothing. Somehow it worked most of the time with zero signal. It also shows it was picking up wrong satellite?????.
Eventually I call tech support and the guy give me really nothing. He did casually mention that they had "been moving things around up there lately". He wanted the error codes which I didn't have since it wasn't acting up at the moment and wasn't much interested in the fact that I was showing zero signal and hitting the wrong satellite. So I get pissed and call right back again after hanging up. What I had done in the mean time is climb up on the roof and check the settings. I found my elevation to be around 28-29 degrees instead of the recommended (on setup screen) 23. It was also off on the skew being around 93 when it was supposed to be 105 (or the other way around).
So I call back and the auto answer tells me it sees I had just called and was the problem still the same one and such and I say yes. Then I get a girl who seemed to know what she was doing . She says something about adding some channels and it might help. Of course I tell her about the alignment situation and no signal as well. She said that they were going to send someone out to do a site survey and that it wouldn't require me to be there at the time and that was about it. We did the sat setup and it says the usual sat 110 / 119 which shows zip reception. Then she tells me I am supposed to be on 77 and it does show a signal.
Ok, so what gives? Somebody moved something somewhere for sure and it wasn't me. Any explanations out there? Did they reposition a couple satellites or what? What does this "site survey entail".
Ok so what am I looking at here?

Ok yeah I'm curious as to which way your Dish is pointing too. Also if you are having signal drop it could be from various reasons such as what receiver you are using maybe its just a commonly known model that has tuner failure. You could check the lines, follow each one thru the whole way and if you find a splice take it apart and check it for corrosion. You shouldn't have any with a "white" insert of a barrel in any of the path from the Dish to the receiver they should be "blue" if any. But if there are connections outside then perhaps one of them is damaged or water has gotten in and is starting to go to work on the semi-conductor which will often times explain signal loss as random times.

About a month ago my system which has worked fine for years began having issues with locals dropping in and out. It got worse over the next couple weeks and whenever there was any sort of heavy cloud cover got really bad.
I checked for trees and there was one branch way out there that just might have been in the way but it didn't really look to be dead center on the feed. I finally chopped it off and nothing changed. I checked the signal strength and it showed nothing. Somehow it worked most of the time with zero signal. It also shows it was picking up wrong satellite?????.
Eventually I call tech support and the guy give me really nothing. He did casually mention that they had "been moving things around up there lately". He wanted the error codes which I didn't have since it wasn't acting up at the moment and wasn't much interested in the fact that I was showing zero signal and hitting the wrong satellite. So I get pissed and call right back again after hanging up. What I had done in the mean time is climb up on the roof and check the settings. I found my elevation to be around 28-29 degrees instead of the recommended (on setup screen) 23. It was also off on the skew being around 93 when it was supposed to be 105 (or the other way around).
So I call back and the auto answer tells me it sees I had just called and was the problem still the same one and such and I say yes. Then I get a girl who seemed to know what she was doing . She says something about adding some channels and it might help. Of course I tell her about the alignment situation and no signal as well. She said that they were going to send someone out to do a site survey and that it wouldn't require me to be there at the time and that was about it. We did the sat setup and it says the usual sat 110 / 119 which shows zip reception. Then she tells me I am supposed to be on 77 and it does show a signal.
Ok, so what gives? Somebody moved something somewhere for sure and it wasn't me. Any explanations out there? Did they reposition a couple satellites or what? What does this "site survey entail".
Ok so what am I looking at here?

Hey drizler: When you spoke with an agent on the phone did they have you do a check switch test?

Oh yea I did forget to say where I lived Northern NY way up by Burlington Vt. Yes I had done the switch check several times and did it again with the tech results all ok, unplugged and reset ect . Did all of that. It's my own roof too so I know nobody has been up there but me. I just find it odd on the installation screen it shows different alignment settings and the satellites she said to use to check it were not the same 110/ 119 it's always been.

Are you sure it is not 110,119,129? Those will not be on the Point Dish screen, since the recievers do not have the option to select the 1K.x Dish. It will give you the 500 dish at the best, which is different.

what receiver do you have?
from those settings you have a 500 dish
I don't know if your area is under the eastern arc migration yet where some areas are setup to be converted to the eastrern arc automatically if a service call is created

I think the OP needs to schedule a tech visit to update his system. If his locals are Burlington Vt, he needs to be put on the earc. Maybe someone from DIRT can PM him and get him set up.

Receiver is a 722K. Angie from the "DIRT" team contacted me. Maybe she can take care of whatever it is or at least shed some light. I gave her my info but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. FWIW I am getting about a 46 to 52 % signal on both 72 and 77 which are showing me being Ecostar West sats. I get a signal on 105 as well but not a lock.

Ok yeah I'm curious as to which way your Dish is pointing too. Also if you are having signal drop it could be from various reasons such as what receiver you are using maybe its just a commonly known model that has tuner failure. You could check the lines, follow each one thru the whole way and if you find a splice take it apart and check it for corrosion. You shouldn't have any with a "white" insert of a barrel in any of the path from the Dish to the receiver they should be "blue" if any. But if there are connections outside then perhaps one of them is damaged or water has gotten in and is starting to go to work on the semi-conductor which will often times explain signal loss as random times.

Was all this done OP? Or did you just completely skip over what I suggested to check? You never said if the Dish was pointing to the SouthWest or the East?!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts