Reception on a clear night

PALL MALL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hi, Everyone!
One of my local channels WWTI lost signal, so I decided to do a rescan and got about 10 more channels. Whats surprising is all the channels are from Buffalo and Rochester both over 150 miles away. I have a cheaper roof antenna about 7' long, with no amplification. Channels im receiving are:
WGRZ-2.1
WIVB-4.1
WKBW-7.1
WROC-8.1
WHEC-10.1
WHAM-13.1
WNYB-26.1
WUHF-31.1
ION-51.1

Channels I always receiver are:
WWNY-7.1
WPBS-16.1
WNPI-18.1
WWTI-50.1

convertunits.com reports flying distance from my town to Rochester is 151 miles and 213 miles to Buffalo.

WGRZ is out of Buffalo.
Tv Fool report from my address.

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 03fac1f744.jpg
    03fac1f744.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 209
Are you sure there aren't repeaters in your area? If it's skip, I wouldn't expect the signals would stick around for long.
Although with the right antenna setup and amplification, maybe it's possible.

Are you sure there aren't repeaters in your area? If it's skip, I wouldn't expect the signals would stick around for long.

Im pretty sure there's no repeaters around except for Fox 28 in Massena but its still analog. A few of the channels from Rochester where breaking up, although Buffalo's channels 2 and 10 came in strong. Right now 2,10,51 have low signals, 2 breaks up and goes out while the others dont come in.

Im thinking about getting an amplifier for it, I also need a distribution amp. Can they be used together? I have about 50' of cable from the antenna to the living room ,then 25-30' to the upstairs, and more or less 100' to my bedroom. Theres one local digital VHF channel, 7, the rest from Canada are analog. Whats kind of amplifier would I need?

Im not sure what brand my antenna is, but its really cheap compared to the 50 year old one I took down. I got it new, free from a friend who found it in their garage. I dont know if it was in a box but there were tags all over it explaining how to assemble it. Ill try and get a better picture of it later- it wont upload!

Does any know where ION tv is out of, it doesnt have a call sign just 3 subs called qubo, ION life, and Worship. Its gets signals between 25-35 but doesnt come in at all.

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
closest thing I can find is this

WPXJ-TV is the Ion Television (formerly Pax and i) affiliate in the Buffalo, New York market, but can also be seen in the Rochester market and is licensed to Batavia. The station is owned by ION Media Networks (the former Paxson Communications), acting as an owned-and-operated station of the group's ION Television network, and airs programming on digital channel 23. Its transmitter is located in Pavilion.

That explains Ion, a local pbs station broadcasts on 23.

I've been doing some reading on TV DX, seems im getting the signals through tropospheric ducting. I read somewhere that June and July are good months for receiving far away tv and radio broadcasts. I'll keep rescaning evernight to see if anything new pops up, last night I got OmniHD 27.1. If I get my rotator fixed and amplifiaction who knows what I could pull in. The signals from Buffalo seem to be persistant, from 6:30 pm to 7, channels 2 and 10 have been coming in. At about 8:15-8:30 my local Abc starts pixilating and channel 8 comes in with 65-70% signal. 8 will keeps its signal all night, while others fade in and out.

I also find that the colder the temperature outside the better the reception.

Yes, a distribution amp can be used in conjunction with an antenna amplifier as long as it is all connected correctly. How many sets are you splitting it to? How long are the cable runs? You might get away with not having a dist. amp if it's 2-3 sets.

Just re-read your post, I think you may be ok with just a splitter if your incoming signal is good.
I dont' know what is available for amplifiers but I think Radio Shack still carries a couple. I've used them in the past with good success.

How many sets are you splitting it to? How long are the cable runs? You might get away with not having a dist. amp if it's 2-3 sets.
3 sets right now, the cable runs are pretty long. I have already tried a splitter and only got weak signals in the other rooms. My house was connected to a set of amplified rabit ears before I installed the roof antenna. The signals were receivable in all rooms, through the same splitter. So maybe if I got the antenna amplifier, I wouldnt need the distribution amp?

I've been doing some reading on TV DX, seems im getting the signals through tropospheric ducting. I read somewhere that June and July are good months for receiving far away tv and radio broadcasts.

In addition to the ducting caused by weather fronts, temperature inversions, and humidity, there can be lake effect ducting. The path that you are observing is primarily over lake Ontario.

3 sets right now, the cable runs are pretty long. I have already tried a splitter and only got weak signals in the other rooms. My house was connected to a set of amplified rabit ears before I installed the roof antenna. The signals were receivable in all rooms, through the same splitter. So maybe if I got the antenna amplifier, I wouldnt need the distribution amp?

I would try hooking up just one set and get the most possible signal. Then connect the splitter and see what happens. If the signal was marginal to begin with when connected to one set, you probably need the amplifier for the antenna.
If you have good signal with one set and insufficient signal with a splitter, then try the distribution amp.
With antennas it is pretty much all about your location. Start with the minimum and work your way up until you get a usable signal on all sets.

You are just getting some exceptional signals at this time. They will dissappear as your reception is not normal and don't expect it to be cosistant. I'm about half way down the lake and my reception changes day to day.

I've got to agree with Larry.....I'm close to columbus Ohio and use a Winegard 8200U on a 60 ft tower with a C/M 7777 pre-amp and for normal viewing 80 miles is tops...I have on occasion picked up stations as far away as Ft Wayne and Pitt Pen.200 miles away but it's on rare ocasions

Nothing tonight but its expected with the rainy weather. Last night it was awfully cloudy but channel 8 still came with 60% signal. Also last night yet again co-channel interference blocked channel 50.1 (21). Hopefully the rain stops and I get my rotator fixed, so I can explore other distant channels. My antenna got stuck in the west position sometime this week and I just realized yesterday it wast moving.

Attachments

• 6-27-09.JPG
    6-27-09.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 181
I'm in the same area as you PM. Haven't gotten anything that far away yet with digital, although have had Rochester and Buffalo at times in the past with analog. So far I have gotten channel 4 - CBOT-DT, 9 - CBOFT - DT, 20.1 - Sun TV (2 channels- same thing), Omni 1 at 27.1 on clear nights from across the border, as well as the locals you listed. There is a signal at 66 (Omni 2?) but haven't been able to lock it yet. My rotor works good, but I should probably put up new cable and get a pre-amp.

That happens to us. We were getting Dallas which is 63 miles from us but then lost it. Now we are showing LOTS of channels out of Oklahoma city but have only been able to see them a time or 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts