Reception question for you fellas with a mini bud

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
I'm ready to turn my 1.2 meter dish into a mini bud for reception of one channel. Of course, I want to see if anyone else is able to get this with similar equipment instead of wasting my time. I could just throw up that other 10 footer I have in the shed, but the pole in the ground isn't big enough.

So, if anyone with a mini-bud setup could let me know if they can lock the following TP, I would appreciate it, even if it is bad news. Let me know what size dish, LNBf model, scalar ring type (if any), etc. Again, I appreciate it.

Galaxy 23 (121W), 3783V SR24431. It IS in "The List!" so it should be OK to post it here.

---------------

However, if there is someone that could tell me what to modify in the MythTV mythconverg database in order to force MythTV to receive setanta rather than canal52mx, I would appreciate it even more!! Although, from my reading, it doesn't sound possible.:tux:

Hammer

That transponder is 7/8 FEC so I dont know even if a 1.2 can keep it stable...I know my 6 footer has issues with Equity stuff on G3 which is also 7/8 FEC

(the higher the FEC the more signal you need to keep it stable...1/2 you can have almost no signal and keep it stable....7/8 you need a lot of signal)

I know that transponder works on the 6 footer fine

Hammer

That transponder is 7/8 FEC so I dont know even if a 1.2 can keep it stable...

True, forgot about that. Probably a bigger challenge than what I'm up for to lock with a 1.2. Never worried about it before because of the 10 footer I'm using for C band.

With 1.2 Meter dish and the C-Band LNB on the side of my Ku band LNB the signal is jumping between 0 - 25 on my Pansat 3500 so I can not watch it.

If I put my C-Band LNB at the center of the dish I might be able to get it (I have previously picked it up)

NOTE - 121° is very close to my true South satellite, Scottc98 is located in Ohio so he might have a better answer.

My alignment is a little off lately on that side of the arc but I'll do a BS right now.

Storm messed up the dish and I am good from 72 through 91. 99 is still good but weaker than before.... after that, it just gets worse.

Will need to spend sometime on a free day to re-align

Going on past records, the V side of G23 was always weaker. Documentary mux would come in at around 40-46, and HITN was always strong (right now, its only 26 for me)

That being said, STO HD was always tough for me so not sure if "the mux " will come in.

If I get a free chance on a re-alignment, I'll try to stationary here and see what I can get.

I was just about to ask the same question. It looks like I can set up a mini bud cheaper than seting up the bird view I just salvaged. I understand that some signals will be out of reach of a mini, but overall is it worth it to play with? I have found 2 threads here that talk about them but I just don't know if anyone has come to the conclusion if it is worth it or not. I just don't have the bux needed to put up the BUD and convert it.

good for tinkering? yep
will you get some of the really strong stuff? yep
will you get even 25% of the C-band stuff up there? maybe

I was just about to ask the same question. It looks like I can set up a mini bud cheaper than seting up the bird view I just salvaged. I understand that some signals will be out of reach of a mini, but overall is it worth it to play with? I have found 2 threads here that talk about them but I just don't know if anyone has come to the conclusion if it is worth it or not. I just don't have the bux needed to put up the BUD and convert it.

If you have the most basic of handyman skills and some basic tools you can put that birdview together for less than 100.00. I do it all the time. I am the KING of lowbuck installs. Most of my dishes, the concrete cost is the biggest I pay, that is unless I have to buy an LNB. I scrounge and scrape for ANYTHING that I can use, you ALWAYS have to be on the lookout for stuff you can turn on ebay for bucks to get what you can't beg, borrow, or steal...LOL

Biggest thing on the B'view is that goodfernothing 6" pipe. If you don't know a welder that might be an issue for you. I have a welder, but he's 72, so I have to wait until he feels like welding it for me...LOL...he does things on his own time. :)

Update:

Dish realigned now but that mux off g23 is no good for me :(

CST is up to 86Q now and hitN at 66.

I can't believe how long its been since i've been able to see the western arc....a lot of new channels I haven't seen before :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)