Rechargeable batteries

FMW

Original poster
Jun 9, 2023
Indiana
I can't get fully charged rechargeable AA batteries to work in either of my 540 model remote controls. Is this normal?

I have been using Eneloop rechargeables made by Panasonic for years. I have four 540 remotes loaded with them and they work just fine.
My oldest friend in town swears by those too. He claims the regular alkaline batteries leak, which I am sorry to say, is occasionally true. He says the Eneloop do not.

Rechargeable batteries put out less voltage. For low demand electronics such as a remote, its usually no problem though. However every charge, drain and recharge cycle on the battery slightly depletes it's overall capacity, so if you've had them for a long time they just may not be putting out enough voltage anymore. Also it sounds silly but make sure batteries are in correct way. Most devices batteries alternate direction but with Dish remotes all batteries go in the same direction.

He claims the regular alkaline batteries leak
Duracell alkaline's have had leaking problems for years now. They did something to change them, and I stopped using them after they ruined multiple devices due to leaking. Eveready alkalines do NOT leak.

I can't speak for rechargeable batteries though.

Rechargeable batteries put out less voltage. For low demand electronics such as a remote, its usually no problem though. However every charge, drain and recharge cycle on the battery slightly depletes it's overall capacity, so if you've had them for a long time they just may not be putting out enough voltage anymore. Also it sounds silly but make sure batteries are in correct way. Most devices batteries alternate direction but with Dish remotes all batteries go in the same direction.
Yes, I wonder how well do the full 1.5v Rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries work in reality.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Duracell alkaline's have had leaking problems for years now. They did something to change them, and I stopped using them after they ruined multiple devices due to leaking. Eveready alkalines do NOT leak.

I can't speak for rechargeable batteries though.
Maybe it has to do with Gillette buying Duracell out, Proctor & Gamble later bought it and it's now part Berkshire-Hathaway, Warren Buffett's company.

Every time I buy no-name batteries at a big box store they end up going bad before I use them up, so I always buy name brand - Eveready this last time.
Rechargable batteries are almost always 1.2v. Old zinc -carbon batteries put out 1.5v per cell but NiMH batteries are 1.2v.

Every time I buy no-name batteries at a big box store they end up going bad before I use them up, so I always buy name brand - Eveready this last time.
Rechargable batteries are almost always 1.2v. Old zinc -carbon batteries put out 1.5v per cell but NiMH batteries are 1.2v.
I wonder if there is a big difference between Eveready and Energizer as they are both under the same umbrella. Rayovac is also part of Eveready after Spectrum Brands sold the company. Rechargeable batteries depends more on the output current than the voltage as many 1.2v will test to 1.4v but Panasonic(formerly Sanyo) Enerloop's are supposedly the best. There is also the high-current versions. Remotes are low drain devices unless you had one of those smart remotes like the one from LG which seems to drain the batteries within weeks.

I've had good luck with batteries from Sam's. Usually get the Member's Mark brand, sometimes Energizer or Duracell. They all seem to last about the same time to me.

I don't have any alkaline batteries in my hidy hole. I use nothing but rechargeables. I send less batteries to recycle that
I also only use rechargeables for everything that takes AA and AAA batteries (which is almost every appliance I have). I have a bunch trickle charging all the time, so when one set runs out I just swap. It cost a bit more up front for enough batteries and chargers. But I haven’t bought new batteries in years, and my battery recycle bag have gone to almost zero.

I also only use rechargeables for everything that takes AA and AAA batteries (which is almost every appliance I have). I have a bunch trickle charging all the time, so when one set runs out I just swap. It cost a bit more up front for enough batteries and chargers. But I haven’t bought new batteries in years, and my battery recycle bag have gone to almost zero.
Same here except other than my Panasonic Cordless phone which uses my personally custom made/hacked using Panasonic Eneloop low discharge batteries as the replacement packs don't last long, I am actually using all the junk AA/AAA rechargeables and hope they actually die so I can begin using my few hundred Panasonic low discharge and high drain Eneloops including a few pack of Duracell AA Made in Japan Rechargeables which are rebranded high drain Eneloops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts