reciever questions

scup

Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hey everyone,
Recently my dish reciever broke, and Ive got a few questions... First of all, my broken reciever is a 301, and we've got a 311 just sitting around (no smart card). I attempted swapping the recievers only to find that obviously it wouldnt accept my old smart card. Also a message pops up stating "a problem has been detected with your multi-dish switch". I was wondering if its possible to replace the 301 with the 311, and i have NO IDEA what that message means...

You may need to run a check switch, the matrix may not have been cleared and the receiver may be looking for a switch or lnb not in your system. Your receiver may have a built in smart card (not sure if the 311 has one) but Dish can help you with that once you call to activate it.

Does anyone have any clue as to how much it may cost to activate? or get a new smart card if it doesnt have one?
Thanks

If you own the 311 free and clear (i.e., the R and S numbers aren't assigned to anyone else) then there should be no charge to activate it. If a card is needed there might be a cost for that, or perhaps not if there was an update pending for that receiver anyway. If there is a problem with the R & S numbers you probably won't be able to activate it at all. If the 311 is merely replacing the 301 there should be no monthly service charge difference unless you also change programming or some other attribute of your account at the same time. You should call Tech Support instead of a standard CSR for this change however. They can get it all handled probably with one call.

Oops - slow typer. Sorry for dup of information from garys...

Welcome, BTW...!

311 has a built in smart card so just call DISH with R & S numbers.

Go tp menu6-1-1 a check the switch with it connected to dish.

Although the 311 has a built in smart card, just wanted to clarify for anyone else who finds this thread, that lost smart cards are a $50 fee, not $15 as was guessed previously.

Although the 311 has a built in smart card, just wanted to clarify for anyone else who finds this thread, that lost smart cards are a $50 fee, not $15 as was guessed previously.

I may have heard wrong, but I understand that if you reactivate a receiver with the previous card out of date, Dish sends you a replacement at the shipping fee only ($15). If you buy a receiver without the card and need a new one to active on a different account was more (probably the $50 fee). Since OP stated he already had the 311 and thinking he had it on his account at one point, the OP would only be charged the shipping. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I am wrong.

I may have heard wrong, but I understand that if you reactivate a receiver with the previous card out of date, Dish sends you a replacement at the shipping fee only ($15). If you buy a receiver without the card and need a new one to active on a different account was more (probably the $50 fee). Since OP stated he already had the 311 and thinking he had it on his account at one point, the OP would only be charged the shipping. I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I am wrong.

Correct. Even if you don't need a new Smart Card, fee for receiver activation is $49. There is no fee if the receiver was previously activated on your account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts