Reciever stuck in duo mode

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
For the last 2 software upgrades my receiver has been stuck in duo mode without PiP working. If I go into the menu to turn it back to solo, it comes up with the warning about cutting off TV2 and asks if it is ok, but when I say do it, it just stays in duo mode. I have of course tried the reboot and power off and such. Is this still a known issue or is it just my 922 acting up?

The receiver also gets stuck with blank screen bug until a DVR event is viewed, on occasion. It really seems to have been buggy with the current software.

There is a known issue about being stuck in Duo mode after remote viewing but doesn't sound like this is what is happening with your 922. Can you please send me your account information? I would like to submit a technical problem report about this.

I do use the sling, but this happens even on days that I have not used the sling, and after reboot. I will PM the info.

I've had the same thing happen with my 922. A hard reset, unplug, wait, plug back in, and solo worked again, then later same thing.

My Software is S118SAMB.

I have S118 SACB bootstrap 1333 XACB

I have tried the unplug, reset back to factory, using front panel mode vs remote, etc. It refuses to go back into solo mode. It comes up with the box and warns that it will cut off TV2, but then it does not actually change the mode.

Maybe this isn't the right place ask but, is it possible on a 622 that one tuner can go bad?

I am sure it could happen, the general dish technical support forum would be a better place to ask. Also contacting Dish would be good too.

Crazy fingers I didn't reach far enough and hit the S instead of the X, it should be S118XAMB.

I have S118 SACB bootstrap 1333 XACB

I have tried the unplug, reset back to factory, using front panel mode vs remote, etc. It refuses to go back into solo mode. It comes up with the box and warns that it will cut off TV2, but then it does not actually change the mode.

This is becoming an interesting question.I would recommend contacting DISH Advanced Tech Support see if they may know somehow to free it up to change back.

Same here on my 922 refusing to go back to Solo/PIP

Same issue here - my 922 refuses to go back to Solo/PIP (my preferred setting.)
My 922 hardware has been fairly flawless - it is just a software issue, and hoping it will be resolved by S119.

I'm having the same issue on my 922. Hitting the red reset or unplugging it resolves it. I just had my 922 recently replaced due to a harddrive failure. Software: S118 XAYD Boot Strap: 1533 XAYD

My 922 works the opposite way. Mine gets stuck in what I assume is single mode. Probably once a month or so, my tv at tv2 location has no picture, just a black screen with no remote response. A fpr is needed to restore tv2 picture. Nothing else fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My 922 works the opposite way. Mine gets stuck in what I assume is single mode. Probably once a month or so, my tv at tv2 location has no picture, just a black screen with no remote response. A fpr is needed to restore tv2 picture. Nothing else fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Try watching a DVRed show. That fixes the black screen on TV1 for me...

New success at resetting my VIP 922 - return of TV2 on Solo/PiP mode... reset the Factory defaults, hard-booted with at least 1 min pulled-plug at least 3 times, reset to Shared View On and Solo/PiP, and my TV2 has come back to life. Of course - having to reset all of the channels, etc, but didn't have to reset timers.

Well yesterday my 922 decided that it was recording as scheduled, but nothing was showing up in the DVR list. So, I did a reset. Now it finally decided it could go into solo mode (and it still is this morning). Then it started to record as it should record.

It had over a year of being super reliable, then they roll out these new changes and now basic things like being able to rely on it recording properly, having a picture without having to watch a DVR event and solo mode break. I hope they can tear themselves away from hopper fixing to at least get the 922 recording reliably.

It is as buggy now as it was when it was released. I really did not need the BB@home stuff that bad...

Just to add my voice to the chorus....I'm having problems identical to that described above by Mike and Bob. (ViP922, S118XAMB, 1333XAMB) Fortunately, a soft reset has solved the "stuck in Duo Mode" problem each time so far. And starting a DVR'd program corrects the "blank screen" issue (which usually precedes the "stuck in Duo Mode" problem). Sounds like this is simply a software issue since it seems to have appeared an update or two ago. (I've only had the 922 for a few months.) Hopefully Dish will address this with the next update - new features are nice but don't break what's working!