Recommend a good universal remote for my new Hopper setup?

bgnewb said:
Got it.............go into ur logitech remote software and change it to the 922 for ur receiver and ur all good!!!

When you do that, does it keep your custom buttons? (the touch screen ones)

When you do that, does it keep your custom buttons? (the touch screen ones)

No, the buttons are going to be different. if ur touch buttons are intertwined with the "old Dish receiver" then it wont be there any more so it cant use it. I had to change my "listen to radio activity" around because i used the sirius channels on my 722k. Hope that helps

on a side note.....i saw in ur sig that u have IR4PS3???? whats that about? How u like it? is it the one from logitech?

Last edited:
IR4PS3 is basically the same thing as the logitech one. But a guy made it and was selling it online a couple of years before logitech got in on that market. I ordered a kit and used the ps3 remote I already had. I had to take apart the remote and use its guts in the IR4PS3 box. It works flawlessly, because of the Bluetooth remote insides. There's a video on YouTube of how to put it together. I think it was $25 not counting the remote, which I already had. Not sure if you can still get one, since logitech released theirs.

Sort of, but not me. Inside the kit is an IR to Bluetooth converter of some sort. You take the board out of the ps3 remote. Clip off the battery posts (it becomes usb powered). Install in the kit, and it works. It receives the IR commands from my Harmony One and broadcasts Bluetooth to the ps3.

You might want to set it to a 922 so you have the codes for the colored buttons. The 40.0 remote might not shot out IR when it's in SAT mode since the receiver is RF, even if you enable IR on the Hopper.

I don't have a harmony but with my universal remote AR Xsight Touch ARRX18G using the code for 922 does work for most functions, but not the color buttons.

And you are correct the 40.0 remote only uses IR for TV/AUX functions, so you can't learn colored button functions.

Love my remote by the way. Especially the price versus Harmony.....

I do have a support request in with audiovox for a new code to get the colored buttons to work properly.

Last edited:
I have a couple of Xsights as well. You can also learn the colored buttons from an older Dish remote (20 or 21) or cheap cable or universal remote. They're easy to send from a $15 RCA RCRP05B. I've used that remote for teaching my other remotes hundreds of commands over the years because it can send virtually every in existence, unlike most cheap universals.

I already had a Harmony One remote when I had my Hopper Installed two weeks ago. When I plugged the remote into the computer to reprogram it, there was already a code available for the Hopper. Everything worked perfect after downloading the info into the remote.

I have a couple of Xsights as well. You can also learn the colored buttons from an older Dish remote (20 or 21) or cheap cable or universal remote. They're easy to send from a $15 RCA RCRP05B. I've used that remote for teaching my other remotes hundreds of commands over the years because it can send virtually every in existence, unlike most cheap universals.

Can you confirm that the colored buttons work as designed specifically for the hopper, when learned from an older remote? Because, the code for the 922 does assign functions for the colored buttons but they are different modes than for the hopper.

Hopper Functions

Red: Tv Viewing Status (Status of the tuners--so far this is the ONLY way to bring up this info--main reason I want the proper functions)

Green: Alternative Favorite channel list? (don't know exactly what it is, or called)
Yellow: Settings Menu
Blue: Settings: Network Setup

On DVR screen (and other menus) each button is a shortcut to change options

Yes, the colored button codes learned from any other remote perform the functions they're supposed to on Hopper. Each colored button code is the same across all Dish remotes. IOW, there is only one code for Red, not 2 or 3, and it performs the Red function on Hopper. Same goes for all the colors. I've analyzed the codes from several sources and have proved it to be true by looking at the waveforms and decoding them.

Just be aware that the Green channel list function has been removed in the latest firmware. Green still works as is should in other contexts.

If you have an old one-for-all, radio shack, or cable remote, post the model, and I can tell you how to send the colored button commands from it.

Yes, the colored button codes learned from any other remote perform the functions they're supposed to on Hopper. Each colored button code is the same across all Dish remotes. IOW, there is only one code for Red, not 2 or 3, and it performs the Red function on Hopper. Same goes for all the colors. I've analyzed the codes from several sources and have proved it to be true by looking at the waveforms and decoding them.

Just be aware that the Green channel list function has been removed in the latest firmware. Green still works as is should in other contexts.

If you have an old one-for-all, radio shack, or cable remote, post the model, and I can tell you how to send the colored button commands from it.

Interesting.....I wonder why using the code for 922 (S0755) does not then set the correct functions on the Xsight?

Anyway, the only old remote I have is a One-for-all URC-9910, but no color buttons. Can it be made to work?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the 9910 will do it. Just use setup code SAT 0775 for Dish (same as the code on Xsight). Then tap SET followed quickly by the following numbers for each function. When you press the last digit the command is sent until you release.

Red 048
Green 108
Yellow 078
Blue 046

Discrete Off 174
Discrete On 242

Thanks mdavej!

Worked great, but--fogive me if this is a dumb question--what are "Discrete Off" and "Discrete On" for?

Also, I have a question about the Dish remote that maybe you can answer, or point me to another appropriate forum:

I am using a dish 40.0 remote with another TV on a Joey. I am having issues with the volume adjusting up and down too much. I cannot fine tune the volume like I could with the tv remote or my TiVo remote. Its like the button gets stuck down momentarily. It is a Zenith TV, and I have tried all the codes, with the same result. Is there a way to adjust the length of the IR pulse?????

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Some devices have 3 power commands: toggle, on and off. If you use the discrete on and off in your macros instead of toggle, your devices never get out of sync, i.e., tv turns off but sat turns back on when you didn't intend. Discrete on only turns your device on and never off, unlike a toggle would. Discrete off only turns things off.

As for the vol issue, I have the same problem with my Toshiba TV, and it uses a very common protocol. I just think it's a quirk with Dish remotes, and there's nothing you can do about it. I had the same problem with 2 older model Dish remote, never a problem with my other universal remotes.

If you want to know the technical details, every time you press a button on a remote, it sends a couple of copies of the signal. The device responds and ignores any extra copies. But vol is special in that it repeats even more when held down. So the device sees the repeats and keeps changing the vol a step for each repeat. Most remotes only send a couple of copies, with a short button press, so the device knows you only meant to change the vol one tick. But Dish sends too many copies, even on short presses, so the device thinks you're holding the button when you're really not. I have a device that can capture the waveforms from remotes, and it confirms this behavior.

Last edited:
Can you confirm that the colored buttons work as designed specifically for the hopper, when learned from an older remote? Because, the code for the 922 does assign functions for the colored buttons but they are different modes than for the hopper.
Yes. I'm using IR codes for the colored buttons I downloaded from RemoteCentral.com and ALL FOUR work correctly on Hopper.

RC: DISH Network 922 - Red/Green/Yellow/Blue

For some reason, the IR programming for the colored buttons within the 922 isn't correct: Red and Green work but Yellow and Blue don't do anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)