Recommend a good universal remote for my new Hopper setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, the 9910 will do it. Just use setup code SAT 0775 for Dish (same as the code on Xsight). Then tap SET followed quickly by the following numbers for each function. When you press the last digit the command is sent until you release.

Red 048
Green 108
Yellow 078
Blue 046

Discrete Off 174
Discrete On 242

I have an rca rcrp05br. I set it up with SAT 0775. How do I enter codes for individual buttons? In other words, how do I enter 048 for the red button, etc.?

1. TAP SAT
  2. PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the red LED flashes twice, then RELEASE.
  3. TAP 9 - 9 - 4.
  4. TAP the SETUP button
  5. TYPE the 5 digit code
  6. TAP the button (i.e., RED) - two Blinks

The RCA uses 5 digit codes, so prepend 00 to each, i.e., 00048, instead of 048.

Have had a Harmony 880 for several years; very reliable; it's been dropped serveral times. After I got the Hopper I got the Harmony 900 which CNET reviewed as "the best remote ever tested." It has RF & IR with the color hard buttons which work great with the Hopper.

jdmart said:
Have had a Harmony 880 for several years; very reliable; it's been dropped serveral times. After I got the Hopper I got the Harmony 900 which CNET reviewed as "the best remote ever tested." It has RF & IR with the color hard buttons which work great with the Hopper.

Harmony 900 here as well. Rock solid remote.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Logitech has removed sequence capability entirely from all their current remotes (besides the One). So hang on to that old 880 as long as you can because only obsolete models can do it. However I don't believe you were actually able to do it because captions takes more than the paltry 5 steps on those old models (0 steps on new models). You must have used the raw learn trick or left out some steps. How did you even get the time delays between steps right? Harmony can't do that either.

Last edited:
I also vote for Logitech Harmony universal remotes. I have a 880 & a One. Very happy with them. You'll only drop them in the water once, though. :(

That is why I always have a spare on hand, although after dropping in the spa, if I immediately run it under my filtered cold water tap, it will survive.

That is why I always have a spare on hand, although after dropping in the spa, if I immediately run it under my filtered cold water tap, it will survive.
Funny you should mention that. The OP was looking for a waterproof remote.

I also find Dish's new "Learning remote" to be an excellent universal control. This is the model -21
According to your signature, you don't yet have a Hopper. Those use the model 32 and 40 remotes for RF, battery monitoring, signal strength and location tone. The 20/21 and older models work with Hopper only in IR mode.

While Dish remotes are more universal than DirecTV remotes thanks to the learning feature, they aren't very useful for saving button presses. I find the $9 RCA RCRP05B mentioned a few posts back to be much more functional. Not only does it learn, but also does global macros (15 steps), device specific macros, shifted functions and is programmable from a computer with an optional cable, giving you almost unlimited capabilities, surpassing even harmony. Using JP1 software with the RCA, you get 5 functions per button, nested subroutines and branching, variables, flags, state tracking, unlimited devices via multiplexing, keygroup mapping, a graphical programming interface, pronto hex import, IR signal analysis, custom device and protocol building tools, and more, all for $9 plus a $5 cable.

While harmony is very popular and well liked, its only useful in simple systems mostly due to its limited or non-existent macro capabilities.

I do have to retract something I said earlier (can't edit my post). I managed to get my hopper captions macro down to 5 steps, so it should theoretically work on harmony.

Though I would agree, the sequence on Harmony should allow for more then 5 steps. I wonder why they took the feature out of the newer models? They need to step up, because as much as I like my 880, I can see them getting passed by in the next couple of years if things like full keypad remotes come into play.

Though I would agree, the sequence on Harmony should allow for more then 5 steps. I wonder why they took the feature out of the newer models? They need to step up, because as much as I like my 880, I can see them getting passed by in the next couple of years if things like full keypad remotes come into play.
Sadly, the limit is zero steps on all current models (200, 300, 600, 650, 700, 900, 1100 and OnePlus), and 5 steps on older models like the 8xx, 5xx and One. The latest harmony due to hit the US market soon is the 800, and it does have a full QWERTY keyboard. No word yet about whether they've restored sequence capability, probably not. I'm sure they think removing features saves money, but it's a two edged sword, causing them to also lose some customers. There are more options than ever now with all the cheap/free iOS and Android based remotes.

Removing sequences has to be one of the dumbest things ever. To me macros ("sequences") are one of the biggest advantages of a good programmable remote. Activities as provided get MOST of the same functionality, but not for every case.

Harmony can't even do a simple macro like turning on captions. I find them woefully inadequate and overpriced.
Incorrect. I programmed my Harmony One to do it.

But, I do agree on them being over-priced.

Bingo.

In fact, I just did it. Took me about 20 seconds to create the macro to toggle captioning. I have a Harmony 880, love it with the hopper.
Bingo II

Logitech has removed sequence capability entirely from all their current remotes (besides the One). So hang on to that old 880 as long as you can because only obsolete models can do it. However I don't believe you were actually able to do it because captions takes more than the paltry 5 steps on those old models (0 steps on new models). You must have used the raw learn trick or left out some steps. How did you even get the time delays between steps right? Harmony can't do that either.
It does not take more than 5 steps. And, you can adjust command delays. So, wrong on both counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)