Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
It has been about 10 years since I had a FTA system. I am considering returning to this hobby for PBS HD on AMC 21. My zip code is 79938 and I believe the EIRP here is about 48. I read (somewhere) that a larger dish than would be indicated is recommended due to near by high powered commercial satellite signals. I am looking at the Winegard 1 meter DS-3100 as a retailer claims it is the largest that can be shipped by UPS. Would that be large enough?
It seems several members here recommend the GeoSat micro HD for this application, is there anything else I should consider? I have an audio receiver capable of decoding AC-3 if that is a concern.
Finally what would be the best LNBF for this project?
Please let me know if this adventure has a good prospect for trouble free success and if there are other considerations I should take into account. Thank you.

I use the Geosat Pro 90 cm dish with the GEOSATpro SL2 Bullet LNBF and the DG380 motor with Excellent results on PBS HD from AMC 21 @ 125 deg. west. So, I agree with FaT Air.

any hd receiver should do
you should be able to get an openbox or x2 premium receiver for well under $100

I agree with FaT Air. That's basically the same setup I have. I only have trouble with Montana PBS dropouts. All the rest of the feeds are solid. The picture quality on the HD feeds is really nice. I mainly watch the East and West feeds on 12180.

EDIT. I'm 230 miles north of you in Albuquerque.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys iOS app

Yes, many real HD feeds today at mpeg iv to mpeg ii with all low numbers need microHD to receive; the bigger dish is better. I like my 1200HDVR however for it almost scans "perfectly"; mpeg ii or iv! I would say a 10 foot or 8 foot Prodelin at 5k isn't in the cards; bigger is better!

I agree with Fat Air that's a good deal for a stb and dish :)

I am in Honduras, Central America and get all the PBS channels on AMC 21 with a 1.8m dish. A 0.90m or 1.2m only gets the Claro PR scrambled channels.

Anybody know where to find a program guide for the PBS channels. My receiver shows nothing.

Last edited:
Yes, it all should work according to the response to the tv you own. Auto the digital way PBS is then you need the best there is today! And if labor, here too is the package. AC3; HDMI; h.264 ; dish size; are all cures as is OEPB!

titantv.com has the listings:

KUSM-DT1 for Montana PBS
KWET-DT1 for OETA
KWET-DT2 for OKLA
KWET-DT4 for PBS Kids
PBSHD for PBS East
PBSHDW for PBS West
CREATE
PBSWORLD

Oh thank you! I’ve wondered about this for a long time! I just put some random PBS channels in my titan lineup and they were close but not always on the mark.
This is very helpful !

Thanks for Suggestions

Thanks to all for the suggestions on this project. It sounds as if it certainly would be feasible. I will look into it more after I get moved into this new location. I also plan to check on the possibilites of getting one of the two local PBS stations in my area although it appears challenging.

My zip code is 79938[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions on this project. It sounds as if it certainly would be feasible. I will look into it more after I get moved into this new location. I also plan to check on the possibilites of getting one of the two local PBS stations in my area although it appears challenging.

It looks like some parts of your zip code are poorly covered by PBS stations.
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1432098&map=Y
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1225136&map=Y
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b94c5d43a54ae

FTA to supplement OTA PBS seems like it may almost be a necessity for your location (speaking in general terms at the zip code level).

[I have always taken PBS for granted; I am well covered by two MPT channels. In addition to that I can get two different PBS stations out of DC. The NE is very different from other parts of the country for TV coverage.]

Status
Please reply by conversation.