Recommendation for attic install

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I am moving into a new house in the next few months and it is part of a very strict HoA. While I understand I may technically have the right to install an antenna on my roof, I don't think it is worth the fight and I would rather not start out on wrong foot with them right from the start.

With that said, I am looking for recommendations on the best possible long range attic install setup, whether that involves 1 antenna or separate VHF/UHF antennas. I am 50 miles from the towers, so I realize I may be pushing my luck, but at least it is a 2-story house on somewhat high ground so I do have that going for me. I may not get EVERY channel, but hopefully I can still get a good portion of them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

The first thing you must do is run a TVFool.com report for you r EXACT address (it will not show on the report), then capture the URL and paste it in a post - there will be a line on the report that is bolded that has the direct URL link to your report.

This will give us some idea of hoe strong TV signals may be and which frequencies you need to capture.

After that we can comment on antennas.

The TV fool report recommends an attic antenna for most the stations. I would survey the attic and pick the largest antenna that will practically fit in there. You will need to figure out which direction in the attic it will need to point to figure out how much space you have. If you have a house with a huge attic it will be easy. If it is a low pitched roof and not much space it will be harder. CBS and the one independent are on VHF (High) the rest all look to be UHF. 15 degrees looks like a line to the closest city's cluster.

I'll take mike123's recommendation one step further and suggest a Winegard HD8800 UHF antenna. You have 15-20 stations at 50 miles CBS is the only broadcaster of importance not on UHF. I am using a 4bay UHF to pick up my channel 12 broadcast so it is possible to get VHF on a UHF antenna. For in attic mounting there is some loss of signal through the roofing material and no signal through metal roofing. HD8800 starts on ebay at $60 including shipping.

Last edited:
I'll take mike123's recommendation one step further and suggest a Winegard HD8800 UHF antenna. You have 15-20 stations at 50 miles CBS is the only broadcaster of importance not on UHF. I am using a 4bay UHF to pick up my channel 12 broadcast so it is possible to get VHF on a UHF antenna. For in attic mounting there is some loss of signal through the roofing material and no signal through metal roofing.
Yeah. For 50 miles, an 8-bay would probably be necessary over a 4-bay.

But, from what I understand, the WG HD8800 is not as good as its 8-bay competitiors, such as Antennas Direct DB8, Channel Master 4228, or AntennaCraft U8000. The Solid Signal HDB8X gets great reviews, and looks pretty well-made. I'm considering it as an upgrade to my current 4-bay setup.

So assuming I can fit it in the attic, would a DB8e be my best bet? It looks like it would probably pull in all the UHF channels without issue, but what about CBS on VHF?

So assuming I can fit it in the attic, would a DB8e be my best bet? It looks like it would probably pull in all the UHF channels without issue, but what about CBS on VHF?
Won't know until you try, unless the VHF is very weak, it will probably get it OK. I use a UHF/high VHF antenna for my OTA, not nearly as big as a UHF/VHF antenna.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...eries-TV-Antenna-(HD7694P)&c=TV Antennas&sku=
I live a lot closer to the stations so this works for me.

Last edited:
I have a DB4, the 4-bay version of the previous generation to the "e". I pick up RF channel 12 just fine, which is what your CBS station and my local NBC station use.

If you want to save a few bucks, you can pick up an original generation DB8 from Solid Signal for $87 with free shipping. I can't imagine the new gen "e" version at $130 is much better. It's rated at ~2dB higher gain, and can be configured for two different directions. But, the original DB8 should be able to handle a single tower from 50 miles. You can always add a preamp, if necessary.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DB8&ss=154462

The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, but is very good at picking up high VHF stations. I don't know if it would fit in your attic.

The Channel Master 4228 is a UHF antenna, but is very good at picking up high VHF stations. I don't know if it would fit in your attic.

I think it would fit ok once it gets into the attic, but getting it in there is the difficult part. Based on the comments on Amazon, it does sound like people have managed to squeeze it through their attic openings, so it may work.

Even though you are 50 miles from Chicago the signals are all LOS so I would go with a good 4bay design. If the VHF is weak or drops out in bad weather you could install a small VHF-HI antenna like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ls-713-(Y5713)&c=TV Antennas&sku=716079000987 and combine it with the 4 bay using a UVSJ combiner.

If you want to beat the HOA and get the antenna outside you could make a radome (plastic box/cover) for the 4 bay. Just paint it the same color as the house and mount it on a side below the roof facing the towers.

There shouldn't be a fight with the HOA. The FCC says they cannot deny you an outdoor antenna on your own property. See the Sticky: FCC Says you CAN put up that antenna - HoA can't stop you "but you still have to live with the uptight morons you call neighbors."
But, if relenting, do 'size up' your attic space. The 8 bay antennas are pretty large. Largest required clear area is going to be mainly east-west, a couple of feet deep, to aim the antenna towards the NNE.
If that's not an option, a yagi may be needed to'fit'. HDB91X (?)

The DB8 is a good performer. RF 22 and 40 are 40 miles from here (1edge and 2edge according to TVfool) and I rarely have an issue. Actually, some of the nearby stations give me more trouble. If you can fit it, I'd recommend it.

I'll take mike123's recommendation one step further and suggest a Winegard HD8800 UHF antenna. You have 15-20 stations at 50 miles CBS is the only broadcaster of importance not on UHF. I am using a 4bay UHF to pick up my channel 12 broadcast so it is possible to get VHF on a UHF antenna. For in attic mounting there is some loss of signal through the roofing material and no signal through metal roofing. HD8800 starts on ebay at $60 including shipping.
I'm using an Antenna Craft U4000 4 bay bowtie aimed at Dallas 63 miles away, from the back side of the antenna I am picking up Sherman channel 12VHF at 36.8 miles. I agree with bob2011 that a 4 bay should work but I recommended a HD8800 to give you more gain. It also can be purchased at a reasonable price as low as $56 off ebay if you shop around. Also on the Winegard the back reflectors fold up so it takes up less space for shipping

***NEWS FLASH*** I just found HD8800 on Solid Signal for $42.99 and they listed the shipping dimensions as 59 1/2 X 6 1/2 X 6 1/2 so it will easily go through your attic hatch. At that price I'm thinking about replacing my U4000 that cost about the same a few months ago.

Last edited:
The DB8 is a good performer. RF 22 and 40 are 40 miles from here (1edge and 2edge according to TVfool) and I rarely have an issue. Actually, some of the nearby stations give me more trouble. If you can fit it, I'd recommend it.
He can assemble it in the attic. Disassembled, it should fit through any opening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)