recommended dish size vs. bare minimum

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mateosat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Caribbean
I happen to live in a location that is covered by the outer ring of AMC4 Ku band. My recommended dish size is 130cm, according to satbeams.com.

Now I happen to have a 80 cm offset dish. Is it pointless to look for a transponder on this bird or might I get lucky? In general, how much margin is there between recommended dish size and the bare minimum?

I already noticed I can get Galaxy 19 on a 78 cm dish, whereas satbeams.com recommends a 90 cm. My quality levels are about 40%

But then again, 80 cm vs. 130cm seems a lot. I'd like your views on this one.

I would try to lock Galaxy 16, so you know you are close, then try for AMC 4.
You are correct, there is a big difference from 80 cm to 130, about 60%.

I guess I'll give it a shot tomorrow. My equipment is so so. Your plane jane $10 LNB from China so nothing special there. I'm just curious if I can get a lock on. In any case, is it possible to couple two smaller dishes to achieve the effect of one big dish? Just a crazy idea.

Two dish idea: no, not really.
You need a large dish to do the job.

But another thing to consider besides your location, is how much rain you have to put up with.
Where I live, we have maybe 10 days of rain per year.
Of course the intensity of the rain is important, too.

So, if you have a lot of heavy rain, that larger dish may be what keeps your signal working.
The small dish may work on a sunny day, but only the sunny days. - :rolleyes:

I would recommend you try with what you have, and then you will have first hand knowledge of the problems.

edit:
Oh, and it's always possible once you've moved up to a big dish, to re-use the smaller one for another satellite.
Maybe 30°w, for instance, or one of the others which put a strong signal into your area. - :)

It was also mentioned that they would be focusing their signal more strongly at the USA once they switch to the new bird.

I hope we who are beyond the lower 48 are not left out.

Keep in mind that the signal strength is proportional to the surface area of the dish; more important, in your case, is the fact that the surface area is proportional to he square of the diameter.

A 100 cm dish has not twice, but four times the surface area of a 50 cm dish.

drBoyd,

Right, I should have remembered that from math class.
Indeed I'm going to lose AMC4 altogether once the switch to SES1 is made. I'm all out of that new footprint.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)