Reconsidering backup methods

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I use Norton 360, and occasionally copy certain critical files "in the clear." Two questions:

1. Anybody use, or have an opinion of, Redo backup?

2. Anybody got a good method of backing up particular files and directories without compression? IOW, the files can be read or used directly, just by copying back or using in place, without a "restore" step from some program which may or may not still be around or working>

For option #2, what about good ol' xcopy? Put it in a .bat file with the options you want and auto run it every night via scheduled task. That is what I do. I use the flag to only copy newer files.

For option #2, what about good ol' xcopy? Put it in a .bat file with the options you want and auto run it every night via scheduled task. That is what I do. I use the flag to only copy newer files.

That's exactly what I used to do at work to backup my pc files to the network. In my opinion the easiest way.

I use jungledisk.com, you can give it a list of files and it backs up over the internet to Amazon's cloud. Amazon has storage fees of course, first 5GB free after that 12.5 cents per GB per month, I keep about 100GB on it, or about $15/month.

I guess I probably better find something else too since Symantec shelved Ghost. I've been using Ghost for a long, long time but have used other things, like Acronis TrueImage and GParted. I think GParted ( the recovery portion of it ) just copies the files without compression, but it isn't something I'd recommend for folks wanting something easy to use.

I just have 2 big drives and put my essential files on both drives.

I just have 2 big drives and put my essential files on both drives.

You mean EHDs? xCopy?

Or installed and in use?

I have RAID on some machines but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)