Win7 Backup Error

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Access Denied!! 0x80070005 It seems Windows Update has struck again. Anyone else? Googled the fix from MS but the page won't load. Not surprised LOL.

Are you backing up to a NAS?

What is the nature of what you're backing up (whole drive, user folder, single partition)?

The long-term solution is probably to use a backup tool from an organization that doesn't have a reputation for resurrecting bugs and never really laying out a straightforward solution (along with a way of directly finding the solution that doesn't involve wading through dozens of user posts on their community support forum),

This problem has been striking on and off for over 8 years and most of the time it seems to be related to an inability to overwrite and/or delete files on the destination due to file permission problems.

This appears to me to most definitely be connected to the latest Windows update and that includes Win 10. I couldn't even restore to an earlier update point. Fixing the registry seems to have fixed the problem. In fact right after that Windows update said there was an update available so I'm guessing it never really updated or it was an update to fix what they broke.

I don't like when people give non answers like this, but your best bet is to use a third party software.

The built in Windows Backup and Restore has always been wonky in some fashion. My personal favorite is creating a sys image, right after a clean install of Windows 7, when it errors on right at the beginning saying there's not enough room on the drive to create a VSS copy, because the system partition is only 37MB or something like that, and it needs at least 40 MB. And recovering from an image can be a pain. The image must be in the 'WindowsImageBackup' folder and if there's multiple images in that folder, Windows can get confused. I also love how it won't let you back up to a flash drive, but you can make the flash drive a shared drive, map it as a network drive and trick windows into backing it up that way.

Acronis True Image can be had for about $30 or cheaper if you get a version from a couple years ago. Creating system images and setting up full and incremental back up schedules are dirt simple. You can make an Acronis boot CD or USB flash drive that you can boot off of to recover data and clone drives. If you need to recover a specific file or a set of specific files you can browse the contents of the TIB file in the a File Explorer window and copy and past specific files back to their original location.

If data backup, data retention and creating system images are important to you, I would not rely on Microsoft's own backup utility, since as you can see, it is not that robust. If you don't care about system images and setting up a back up schedule, and just want a daily or weekly copy of your My Documents or My Pictures folder, I would probably just schedule a batch file to run every week or whatever that copies the contents of specifically defined folders to an external drive or a NAS.

Reactions: Foxbat
I manually backup my pictures, documents and such on another computer and NAS units but I have a 1 TB sata drive ( B: ) installed for auto backup of a 500g PCIe system drive. I have never used the backup but it's nice to know you have one, of sorts. I imagine MS will patch it soon enough.

I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit. I turned OFF automatic updates a few months ago. About once per week, I go in and run them manually, and if it finds any, I do Google searches to make sure they haven't bricked any machines. I also have two Casper-imaged cloned spare drives sealed in antistatic packs, in case anything serious happens. I also have a bootable usb pendrive with the install image for Win7 on it.

I had a corporate laptop run an auto patch update from Microsoft some years ago while I was on shift, and it wouldn't boot to Windows after that. I had to go into under administrative mode, and reverse the patch to get it working again.

I never allow MS to autoload patches since then. I won't upgrade to Win10 until forced to.

I manually backup my pictures, documents and such on another computer and NAS units but I have a 1 TB sata drive ( B: ) installed for auto backup of a 500g PCIe system drive.
Usually that error comes from a permissions problem and that should be less of a problem with a NTFS drive that is formatted by you (versus a NAS or an off-the-shelf USB drive). I guess it depends on what kind of a backup you're doing and you don't seem to be willing to share that.

Backing up to some other internal drive isn't a particularly sound backup methodology as whatever damages the system drive may also whack (including trojans that may encrypt all files on a system) a mapped (CIFS) or hardwired backup drive.

If you follow the long tale of NTBackup, you'll use a third party backup tool that isn't beholden to Microsoft's deciding when you're done with a particular version of Windows and what you can or cannot go back to.

I use Clonezilla (requires booting into Linux) for drive imaging and FBackup for file backup. I've also tinkered with Aomei Backupper and it is pretty slick allowing you to mount backup files as drives under Windows but I'm not sure you can easily automate backups with it.

Years ago I learned that the best full computer crash protection was to have a clone of my C drive, both hardware and content. When I would have a major deadline to meet, was when something would crash. I use the Apricorn USB dongle that plugs into an SSD drive that I clone from my C drive. Then I just put the clone in the computer case for a later date when needed. I don't keep my project data on the C drive so it doesn't have to be a large drive. 500GB seems more than enough for the C Drive but then my data is on 4 4TB drives and I have m.2 1.5TB sticks for work in progress. The Apricorn runs from windows which is convenient but older OS has to use the CD to boot the computer to make the clone. Once you have the clone drive you can verify it is good by swapping it on your computer and it will boot up and look like the original.

When up against a deadline, the clone is a simple swap exchange taking a couple minutes. Restore from a backup is too time consuming and as noted before full of Murphy's law. The main downside to the clone process is that making the clone takes time and more expensive so I am typically procrastinating the process. Fortunately there is a solution which is to make the clone every moth or so or after a major change to the C drive and then also use the Microsoft backup / restore as your first rescue attempt when time is on your side. These can be done daily.

Reactions: TheKrell
So I reviewed the settings on the backup program and completed a backup without issue. I no longer have an alert for the backup failure. But it does an auto backup on Monday nights so we'll see if all is working again later today. :)

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)