Record a channel on VCR & watch another - not a HD DVR or DVR-just a regular receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bedpotato

Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Hello. I have a regular DirecTV receiver (not a HD, HDDVR or DVR). Before getting DirecTV, I used to be able to record one channel on my VCR and watch a different channel at the same time. Now that I have DirecTV, I can't do that. It just records whatever channel my VCR is on, and I'm told that in order for the DirecTV signal to come through, my VCR has to be on channel 3. Please tell me that there's some type of switcher or something that I can use to still be able to watch one channel and record a different channel at the same time with a regular receiver and a VCR. Thanks.

I don't think you can do that. I think you would be better off upgrading to a DVR or HDDVR with dual tuners to do what you would like. I have a HR20-700 and it works quite well for me. Seems like your idea of recording to VCR is out of date. Most people do DVR their programs and watch them later. You can even record 2 programs at the same time and watch something in your now playing list while recording the 2 programs.

i know it seems out of date to you, but vhs is more reliable than a disc, in my opinion.

paying more for a dual tuner is not an option, because i'm being forced to get directv in the first place. even if i wanted to, the service provider already said that they don't even offer dual tuner receivers. they claim that if i were to purchase my own from a store, it wouldn't work with their service anyway. don't know if that's true.

I respect your opinion on VHS, because I used to feel the same way. I broke down several years ago, however, and got my first DVR with Dish Network. Best thing I ever did. Picture quality is FAR superior to VHS, and I've NEVER had a problem with any DVR I've ever had. In fact, I've only had a DVR with Dish or Directv for about 4 years. Had 1 with Dish, and now 1 with Directv. That's a total of 2 in 4 years. There was a time when I went through twice that many VCRs in a year. Not to mention the times that I have found the picture jumpy and/or unwatchable from a VCR because of old video tape.

DVRs are a great thing, and even better is the fact that the satellite companies normally will simply send out a new one if you are having problems with it. That's better than having to buy a new VCR every time it breaks down.

Everyone's situation and story is different. I'm not telling you what to do, just offering a suggestion.

i know it seems out of date to you, but vhs is more reliable than a disc, in my opinion.

paying more for a dual tuner is not an option, because i'm being forced to get directv in the first place. even if i wanted to, the service provider already said that they don't even offer dual tuner receivers. they claim that if i were to purchase my own from a store, it wouldn't work with their service anyway. don't know if that's true.

Sounds like your fighting having D* that you don't want in the first place.

Yes, D* has dual tuner DVR's, ALL of the DVR's are dual tuners, that is how you watch something other than what your recording.
As far as your statement about a disc not being reliable .... OK .....
Do you own any CD's or DVD's ? Which last longer, a VHS tape, I have a few still but they are unwatchable or a DVD.

Your computer is using a disc, how do you feel about the reliability of that ?

To answer your question, there is ways to record from D* and watch something else, if you use an OTA set up, you can record from D* and watch a network from the antenna, or vice versa.

There are several ways to set up your VCR with the D* box, depending on the availablity of the connections on the VCR, probably RCA patch cords, coax or maybe a s video connection.

That's possible with cable and a VCR, but not with satellite because you can't just splice a satellite signal. I believe to do that you'd need two individual satellite receivers to pass along two distinct signals.

Believe me - I used to live on the DVR. But I certainly don't miss shuffling through tapes trying to figure out which tapes I could record on, finding the right spot on the tape, etc. A few years back my [now] wife started working retail, and would call all the time asking me to tape something for her. I couldn't keep track of what tape was what, what shows she had watched, where to line up the tapes, etc. I bit the bullet and bought a Tivo, honestly not expecting a life altering experience. It didn't take long to realize what we'd been missing. And she always leaves the technology to me, but one day I made her sit down to show her how to use it so she wouldn't have to make me come do it for her every time. Her only comment - "well that's easy!" And my son has been running the DVRs since he was 4 years old.

A DVR completely changes the way you watch TV. Not only does it simplify recording and watching more than you can possibly imagine, you wouldn't believe how often you would make use of even just the pause and rewind features. And by setting up season passes, you can automatically record your favorite shows. Even if you normally prefer to watch live vs. time shift, if you happen to miss a show for any reason, you've got it taped and waiting for you. You can even tape two live programs while watching a 3rd taped program.

And there is no additional charge for a dual tuner. You pay a DVR fee, no matter how many DVRs you have - I have 4 DVRs in our hose and pay the exact same DVR fee as I did when we had 1.

I understand the hesitation to move to something new, I really do. But I cannot recommend dumping your VCR for a DVR enough. You would not regret it.

I'm not sure I buy the line your provider is feeding you about dual tuners and buying your own - doesn't really make sense...

I helped someone adjust their phase 3 dish Tuesday & he wanted me to also connect his Betamax machine; I had a hard time keeping a straight face. He selected Eddie Murphy's Raw as his test showing & it proceeded to eat the tape. Taking that machine apart to rescue Eddie was the highlight of my Tuesday.

Yep still use a vcr and I have tapes that have outlasted 5 failed hard drives including one sitting on my desk that has a dozen movies on it. One thing you can say for tape and plastic that you cant say about a hard drive, a tape and plastic will never get the click of death.

The reason you can record on a VCR and watch another on TV is because both the VCR and the TV have their own TV tuners and both tuners can decode the signals coming out of the cable.

If only your VCR had a DirecTV satellite tuner built in, and your TV also had a DirecTV sat tuner built in, you would be able to do the above. Of course they do not, though a few TV models in the past did have DirecTV tuners built in.

If you refuse to consider (or cannot get) a DirecTV DVR, the closest thing will be to have two DirecTV receivers at the same location, one connected to both the TV (for viewing and monitoring the recording) and the VCR (for recording), the other for your TV viewing only.

For that matter you can even add a second VCR to the second receiver, and record two shows at the same time. One step further, if your TV has picture in picture (PIP), connecting both receivers to the TV too, and you can use the PIP on your TV.

VCRs are low cost, and standard DirecTV receivers are free, the only thing is the second receiver will cost you an additional $5 a month use fee.

That's possible with cable and a VCR, but not with satellite because you can't just splice a satellite signal. I believe to do that you'd need two individual satellite receivers to pass along two distinct signals.

Believe me - I used to live on the DVR. But I certainly don't miss shuffling through tapes trying to figure out which tapes I could record on, finding the right spot on the tape, etc. A few years back my [now] wife started working retail, and would call all the time asking me to tape something for her. I couldn't keep track of what tape was what, what shows she had watched, where to line up the tapes, etc. I bit the bullet and bought a Tivo, honestly not expecting a life altering experience. It didn't take long to realize what we'd been missing. And she always leaves the technology to me, but one day I made her sit down to show her how to use it so she wouldn't have to make me come do it for her every time. Her only comment - "well that's easy!" And my son has been running the DVRs since he was 4 years old.

A DVR completely changes the way you watch TV. Not only does it simplify recording and watching more than you can possibly imagine, you wouldn't believe how often you would make use of even just the pause and rewind features. And by setting up season passes, you can automatically record your favorite shows. Even if you normally prefer to watch live vs. time shift, if you happen to miss a show for any reason, you've got it taped and waiting for you. You can even tape two live programs while watching a 3rd taped program.

And there is no additional charge for a dual tuner. You pay a DVR fee, no matter how many DVRs you have - I have 4 DVRs in our hose and pay the exact same DVR fee as I did when we had 1.

I understand the hesitation to move to something new, I really do. But I cannot recommend dumping your VCR for a DVR enough. You would not regret it.

I'm not sure I buy the line your provider is feeding you about dual tuners and buying your own - doesn't really make sense...

Scottie,
Well Put :)

I had to explain all the stuff to my parents when they got a HD DVR too.....
Mom still asks how to tape something, but she's getting better about it, she usually remembers that we are now "Recording" not taping.
Yes, I am glad I no longer have to go thru tapes to see where to record anymore and don't need to worry about the poor quality that you invariably get from an OLD tape over time..

Jimbo

The reason you can record on a VCR and watch another on TV is because both the VCR and the TV have their own TV tuners and both tuners can decode the signals coming out of the cable.

If only your VCR had a DirecTV satellite tuner built in, and your TV also had a DirecTV sat tuner built in, you would be able to do the above. Of course they do not, though a few TV models in the past did have DirecTV tuners built in.

If you refuse to consider (or cannot get) a DirecTV DVR, the closest thing will be to have two DirecTV receivers at the same location, one connected to both the TV (for viewing and monitoring the recording) and the VCR (for recording), the other for your TV viewing only.

For that matter you can even add a second VCR to the second receiver, and record two shows at the same time. One step further, if your TV has picture in picture (PIP), connecting both receivers to the TV too, and you can use the PIP on your TV.

VCRs are low cost, and standard DirecTV receivers are free, the only thing is the second receiver will cost you an additional $5 a month use fee.

I needed a VCR a few months ago and I only found a few expensive models available. I ended up getting a VCR/DVDR combo for about $180. Where can I find a cheap VCR? I could use one in another room.

I have recently watched movies I videotaped in the early 80's with no problems. There didn't appear to be any deterioration. Of course the quality wasn't great, but very watchable.

I have recently watched movies I videotaped in the early 80's with no problems. There didn't appear to be any deterioration. Of course the quality wasn't great, but very watchable.

You've had a lot better luck with yours that I ever did with mine then.

And D* will normally GIVE you an SD DVR for FREE as well - & since the DVR would replace getting a 2nd receiver (which costs $5 monthly), getting the DVR instead would ONLY be $1 more, plus getting the ability to watch a pre-recorded show while STILL recording 2 other shows at the same time.

Yes, it would DEFINITELY be worth the extra $1 difference... :eek:

And D* will normally GIVE you an SD DVR for FREE as well - & since the DVR would replace getting a 2nd receiver (which costs $5 monthly), getting the DVR instead would ONLY be $1 more, plus getting the ability to watch a pre-recorded show while STILL recording 2 other shows at the same time.

Yes, it would DEFINITELY be worth the extra $1 difference... :eek:

I am not disagreeing with many here, only to answer the OP's question, he seemed not having much faith in disks rather use tapes, sometimes you have to respect the opinion and not insist he was wrong. Beside he said he could not get a dual tuner DVR from his service provider to work for him anyway.

Who knows, maybe he will change his mind after reading the comments here, but if he refuses to, at least we should help him to find the best alternative.

Status
Please reply by conversation.