Record OTA when guide says Digital Service

h2ouup2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 5, 2007
Oklahoma City
I have OTA in both the 722K and 622. I can record OTA fine when it's also in the quide (i.e. a channel that dish has as a local).

What I can't do is record a set time on a OTA local that dish doesn't offer as a Dish local.

If I am watching a show I can record it manually, but I can't record one while I'm gone because the guide shows digital service and wants to record 24 hours at a time.

I can't seem to find a way to set it to record a set time on a OTA channel that dish doesn't offer.

Note that on the OTA channels that are not offered by dish they just show up in the guide as Digital Service with a 24hr time block. I know what is coming on by looking at a paper guide and want to record set time blocks.

Example: local Channel 14 in Oklahoma City from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

Hope I explained this correctly.

OK. Let's assume you have an OTA antenna that is set up correctly and properly feeding your boxes. Let's also assume, from the above, that you have correctly scanned for local OTA stations, and that your boxes have picked up the channels of interest to you.

Now all you have to do is set up a manual recording:

-Press your DVR button twice.
-Select Schedule.
-Select timers.
-Select manual timer.

I think you'll know what to do from here. Might want to look at "options" also.

For the 922 you have to use remote access to be able to set either a manual or dish pass timer. But you can set them up if you want.

Well, at least so far, the ViP922 seems to be cursed by witches. Frankly, I am nearly convinced that this is a model to be skipped, like the 921 or even the the 942.

Sorry for the OP. I felt his pain, but now I have to say that Dish has done a decent job here in the Los Angeles DMA by, finally, providing quite a bit of guide data of the "sub channels" multiplexed, certainly the most significant ones. While a number of the foreign content multiplexed have data, there are still some that don't, but that is because those channels seem to change content or are taken down by the local OTA, then a new service appears and no guide date (yet?). There are still a few significant channels, most noticeably LA OTA ION LIfe, that still have the dreaded "Digital Service" in the guide.

I would suggest letting Dish know that you would like them to get around to providing guide date for your DMA.

Last edited:
Well, at least so far, the ViP922 seems to be cursed by witches. Frankly, I am nearly convinced that this is a model to be skipped, like the 921 or even the the 942.

On the 921 receiver I agree, on the 942 receiver, I loved this box. It could access both analog and digital ota stations and ota was built in. It was the precursor to the 622/722/722k receiver and the only drawback was that DISH decided to not keep it supported due to the never ending TIVO lawsuit.

As for the 922, you may very well be right. When the new "923" vaporware receiver comes out, that Charlie talked about, it will most likely have the bugs worked out that the 922 has and will have built in google features too. The 922 will be the last box I will be buying for a long time. So I will have to suffer through the bugs and glitches and lack of working features ,that other vip receivers already have.

+1

On the 921 receiver I agree, on the 942 receiver, I loved this box. It could access both analog and digital ota stations and ota was built in. It was the precursor to the 622/722/722k receiver and the only drawback was that DISH decided to not keep it supported due to the never ending TIVO lawsuit.

As for the 922, you may very well be right. When the new "923" vaporware receiver comes out, that Charlie talked about, it will most likely have the bugs worked out that the 922 has and will have built in google features too. The 922 will be the last box I will be buying for a long time. So I will have to suffer through the bugs and glitches and lack of working features ,that other vip receivers already have.

Mike is correct navychop. The 942 was a good unit only problem is it was part of the Tivo law suit so it had to be replaced w/ a non-infringing 622.

I was considering it to be a model to be skipped because it had such a short life. I suspect the ViP922 may become "tainted" and also fade quickly, even if it does become more or less "fully" functional.

Also, I guess it's a bit personal. I was about to buy a 942 when it seemed to take a death blow.

What I can't do is record a set time on a OTA local that dish doesn't offer as a Dish local.

If I am watching a show I can record it manually, but I can't record one while I'm gone because the guide shows digital service and wants to record 24 hours at a time.

Hope I explained this correctly.

I have 1 channel that shows up that way on my non locals. It's a Fox station. The other national networks do show the schedules
You need to go in and set a manual timer with a fixed start and stop time. To do this you need to go into menu/daily schedule/timers/manual timer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts