Recording a show ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sportman13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I want to record the show the good wife my set up is Default First Run Only for other series sometimes the show the good wife starts late and runs late where do I expands the hours for series recording in expended hours for just the show The good wife what is the best set up to do this ?

The Good Wife is a good example of a show that often runs late because of a previous sports program overrunning. What I do with these programs is set up the series link to stop recording at a later time.
Series manager>select the series>series options> stop>1 hour later (or even 2, it's up to you)

texasbrit a little confused on your direction could you tell me steps for do this for The Good Wife ?

texasbrit could you tell me the set up using series recording with 1.5 hours for both the Good Wife and Mentalist ?

Iceberg my question is refering to this question

It's guess work really. I usually set for 1.5 hours and that has always been enough. If you set the overrun time too short, you might miss the program. Setting it too long just means there will be some of the next program at the end but you will stop playing back before you get to it. With the Genie having five tuners, keeping one tuner on a channel too long does not really matter.

set up the series link with the overrun time. if you find it is too short, make it longer. If you don't need the overrun because the live sports program is removed (end of the sports season for example) just go in and remove the overrun from the series link.

and my follow up question could you tell me the set up using series recording with 1.5 hours for both the Good Wife and Mentalist ?

On the DirecTV forum I gave you step by step directions how to do this for the Good Wife. Just repeat the steps but this time select the Mentalist in the search.

texasbrit you meant this

Menu>recordings>manage recordings>series manager.

You will see a list of your series.

Go down to the "good Wife" and click on it.

You will see a new left menu. Click "series Options"

You will see a set of options. Left arrow to get into the list, then arrow

down until you see the "stop" field highlighted.

Click in the Stop field (it probably says "on time".) You will see a down

arrow appear just under the field. Use the down arrow on the controller

until you get to the amount of time you want to extend by. Click on the

field to extend the time.

Then right arrow to highlight "save changes", click on "save changes"

Click on OK, then Exit.

texasbrit using your directions leave start the way it is and I should put in stop 1.5 hours for both the Good Wife and Mentalist in and right arrow to highlight "save changes", click on "save changes"?

Yes, you need to leave start the way it is, because the program might start on time. All you are doing is adding 1.5 hours to the end of the recording to make sure the complete show records. Just follow the directions, don't change anything else.

texasbrit set it at 1 hour 30 mins for both the Good Wife and Mentalist in and right arrow to highlight "save changes", click on "save changes"?

texasbrit I got it and will do it one question if the start time for the show The Good Wife dose it automaticlly start on time ?

The recording will start at the time shown in the guide. It will run to the time shown in the guide plus the extension time (say 1.5 hours if you have selected that). So if it is a one hour program, the recording will be 2.5 hours long. Somewhere in that 2.5 hours will be the one hour program. The DVR has no way of knowing exactly when the program will actually start and finish, if the program before it overruns. That's the whole point of putting in the extension.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts