Recording network show with PTAT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rinker97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
This has to be answered already but I sure can't find it.

If you want to record a network show during prime time and have PTAT turned on, how does it happen? Does PTAT do it's thing and then automatically copy it over? If there is a thread on it, please point me to it.

Thanks

Thanks. That's how I figured it would work. Wouldn't make sense to use another tuner to do it. Can't wait for my install Saturday.

Barry9196 said:
I can confirm that is how it works. Set your timers as normal for the shows you want to keep. They'll still record as part of PTAT but they will appear in the main DVR folder.

And not use 2 tuners? One for PATA and normal recording? Or does pata just override it snd automatically save to your Portion of the hard drive?

The only problem is that if the last show in the PTAT block runs more than 5 minutes past the end of the prime time block, then it will get cut off, even if you extend the recording timer more than 5 minutes.

If you need extended time on a show past the PTAT timer, you have to set a regular timer edited with the extra time and go to the daily schedule and restore it as it will show skipped because PTAT is already set to record it. Yes, it will use an extra tuner. If you also save the PTAT episode, you will have both in your "My Recordings" with different lengths. It all works fine with software 204, but the required "restore" and extra tuner use are a minor nuisance. (tested last night.)

Pat - That's a good catch. I was reading that extending the recording in PTAT doesn't work, but your method makes sense.

Also, i'm not 100% if the PTAT shows DO get copied to your partition if you set a timer for them. They DO show up in the user partition, but i noticed 2 weird things:
1) PTAT shows that i've set timers for DO show up in my partition, but when i watch them and keep them playing past the end of the show, it continues to the next PTAT show
2) I took a look at the info one one such recording, and on my partition, it says the file size is 0mb (or 0gb... don't remember now). I'm wondering if these are just "short-cuts" the PTAT partition and, should you not watch them w/in 8 days, maybe THEN they get copied over to your partition properly before getting deleted.

Any thoughts on this?

-d

In last night's test, I made one regular recording extended 10 minutes and restored on the "Daily Schedule" (using a tuner), and one saved version of the same show. When played from the "My Recordings" menu the regular recording with the 10 minute extension played to the end of the 10 minutes and stopped. The saved timer played on to the end of PTAT (I'll bet after the 8 days it will stop at the end of the hour). It looks like, if you wan't to see extended time beyond 11:05 PM (and/or after 8 days), you will have to set a regular timer with the extra time (using another tuner) and make sure that you restore it on the "Daily Schedule".

It is too soon to see what happens to the regular recording after 8 days if you have also saved the PTAT show. I'm not going to make that test with something important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)