Recording not in DVR list

bradleyjl

Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Here is the problem:
Timer is set to record a show for my wife m-f, 3:00-4:00. Most of the time it does, Sporadically, (about once a week) it doesn't write the show to the HD, so there is no show to watch. The history log shows the event started and finished, so it did something...or at least tried. There is no entry in the log showing that the event was deleted, so someone didn't accidently delete it.
I bitched to Dish, they sent me a new box, I hooked it up and set up the timer, and the first time it went to record, it did the same thing. So I packed their new one back in the box and sent it back to them. The only real difference between their replacement and my existing was that I had about 20 hrs of recorded movies that I wanted to watch, and wasn't too happy to be told that I had to scrap them or record them off to tape, especially to end up with a unit that did the same thing as the old one. Luckily I saw the problem on replacement before shipping my old one to them.
It seemed to be better with 2.07, but happened yesterday wiith 2.08. It is getting to be a real PIA because it seems (according to my wife) that whenever there is a "real important episode", the show doesn't record. After doing tech support all day, I really don't need a tech support call in my living room when I get home.

I dont get these units. some work great some suck. Mine has NEVER EVER missed a recording. I did have to replace my first one as a tuner went out but it never missed a recording either. I just dont get how it works great for some and sucks for others. and fo rhte record I record Stargate every day, The Screen Savers every day and south park on wednesdays. still never missed a one.

Yeah... I don't get that either... very strange... I write software for a living - and you can bet if there is a software problem... it will show up on all machines, eventually.... maybe they are using different versions of the motherboard or different chip sets (as available) in some machines... mine has never ever missed a scheduled event.

I write scripts and programs frequently for work as well... sometimes they aregue over different chips... but ya gotta think... the drivers (according to dish) are the same and what one box does all should do at some point. Mine should have been past a normal persons Failure Point long ago.

I wouldn't care if all indications didn't say that the show recorded. That at least has an explanation...It didn't record!..Sucks to be you! But when it says that it did, and doesn't.. that is a bit harder to explain.. and I have to dig myself out of the hole I dug for myself since I was the one who changed to Dish from cable.
All I wanted was music...nice relaxing music...no commercials...no grief....and this is what gets delivered.....and billed. (Don't forget to pay!) They may not give you what you ask for.. but you still have to pay for it!

I think thats what doogie and I are referring to... where it says its recording the red light comes on and it doesnt actually record. Ive heard and seen this many times and it jsut doesnt make sense why it only happens on certain boxes. its split 50/50 on the boards so I would venture a guess as to it being that way in the general use too. I wish I had an explanation for you but I dont.

On a Bi-Weekly basis I do a soft reboot. This has stifled or headed off most of the problems that some people experience. It might be worth considering doing a soft reboot as you are on your way out the door in the mornings or something like that. try that for a few days and see if it doesnt help.

Thank you.
I will give it a try. I am the first one up and out in the morning, so it should not be as much as an inconvenience as the alternative...if it helps.

Good Luck.

The reboot takes approximately 5-10 minutes FYI. so if anyone happens to try to use it during that time they shouldnt freak out.

Do I gotta baby-sit it... or will it recover on it's own. Basically you just hold the power button in for about 10 seconds and let it do it's thing... correct?

bradleyjl said:
The history log shows the event started and finished, so it did something...or at least tried. There is no entry in the log showing that the event was deleted, so someone didn't accidently delete it.
Make sure you are looking at the correct logs. There is a "Timer History Log" and a "DVR Event History Log" Two seperate things. One is accessed via the "History" button on the Timer Screen, while the other one is accessed by an identically labeled "History" button on the DVR Events Screen. Same button label, two different screens, two different logs. Just need to make sure that's clear.

In the Timer History you should see FOUR listings for a show that was successfully recorded. They will be labeled "Created", "Started", "Recorded", and "Completed" I think. I can't remember the exact words, but these are close. They may not be immediately adjacent to each other and they may not be in any particular order. If you don't find all four of these entries, I'd suppose that means your show was NOT successfully recorded. You will not be able to tell if a show was DELETED from the Timer History screen. That info is not recorded in this log.

To see what shows have been deleted you must go to the DVR Event History screen. This log will have only one type of event present (AFAIK). And that is the deletion event. If you have not deleted a show you should not see anything regarding that show listed in the DVR Event History. Once you delete the show, you will then see an entry in DVR Event History showing when you deleted the show and from which tuner. So if you find a listing for your missing show in DVR Event History, then that means you deleted it, or at least the 522 THINKS you did!

This is the way things are supposed to be logged, AFAIK. It took me a while to figure out that there were two different logs. Maybe I'm just stupid, or maybe others get confused about this as well and are overlooking clues to their missing shows.

The timers on the 522 are not perfect. Never meant to imply that!

haertig said:
In the Timer History you should see FOUR listings for a show that was successfully recorded. They will be labeled "Created", "Started", "Recorded", and "Completed" I think. I can't remember the exact words, but these are close.

When this happens, I only see two out of four of the entries. I think I get "Started" and "Completed" without the other two in the timer history. There is no record in the DVR event log for deletion of that show. I have been rebooting it a bit more often and so far it has been behaving itself. I also have been making sure to shut it down at night (as cust support recommends) although that should not be necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)