Recording on the fly, record entire show.

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
One feature I really miss from, well every other Dish DVR they ever made, is the ability to hit the record button and select "record entire show". If I need to leave and want to record the show I am watching, I may not get back to it for some time and probably will want to watch it from the beginning when I do. Or I may want to record it because I think some one else will like it. With the hopper/joey if I hit the record button (even by accident) I am screwed. I can't cancel out, I can't select record entire show. If I then stop the recording I can't rewind back to the beginning any more, the show is lost. I know I need to rewind back to the beginning of the show and then do it, but that is a pain and shouldn't be necessary. What if I go back a little to far and end up just recording the last few minutes of the previous show?

This feature seems like such a "no brainer" feature, I don't understand why it isn't available. Dish, please, add this feature.

Brad

I also miss this feature. The last DVR that I had that would do this was the 722. When I upgraded to the 922, I was shocked to see that it did not perform this very basic function. When I upgraded to the Hopper, I asked the CS rep on the phone if the Hopper performed this function. She said yes. Well...no it doesn't. It should.

I guess I never saw this feature.. Whenever I wanted to record a show I was already watching on my 722, I would always rewind to the start of the show and then hit record.. Kinda like my Hopper does now. Guess I should have paid more attention.

What if I go back a little to far and end up just recording the last few minutes of the previous show?
That would never happen. Rewinding back into the buffer will always record from the rewind point to the end of the buffer.

I guess I never saw this feature.. Whenever I wanted to record a show I was already watching on my 722, I would always rewind to the start of the show and then hit record.. Kinda like my Hopper does now. Guess I should have paid more attention.
Me too. I never used the "Record Entire Event" option, because I wanted to always make sure the beginning didn't get cut off and I would always rewind at least 30 seconds before the start of the show. Once I got used to doing that, it became automatic and it's now just second nature.

On the VIP the options when you pick the record button depend. If the whole program is present, it will give the option to record the whole program without rewinding. If the whole program is not there it will give the option to record the remaining. There are other options also. If the Hopper does not do this it certainly should.

I had no idea that was around when I had my 722k (was it just the 722?). I do miss this feature. I think it was the only thing that I missed about Comcast. There would be times I'd be outside mowing or something, and come back in to realize there is an interesting show on.

This was removed from both the 722 and 722Ks several software updates ago. It would be great to have it back.

Who said it was removed in the 722. I've used it within the last week. Press the record button, arrow over to Options. Then if the entrie program is still in the buffer, you can select Entire Show.

Who said it was removed in the 722. I've used it within the last week. Press the record button, arrow over to Options. Then if the entrie program is still in the buffer, you can select Entire Show.

I stand corrected. It is available in "OPTIONS" but was previously a MAIN RECORD MENU option and should be reinstated as such.

Just another way of Dish inconveniencing long-time customers.

I've had the 722 for over a year now and as far as I remember, it's always been in the Options section when you hit the record button.

Wait, so let me get this straight - if 10 minutes into a show I decide "hey this is something my wife would want to watch" or "I want to keep this", I can't just hit record and have it record the whole show? I have to rewind to the beginning and then hit record? That's crazy!

What is the point of that as the standard operation? Who wants by default to record part of a show? I'm really liking Dish after coming from DTV, but learning things like this make me appreciate some of the DTV interface features I guess I assumed would be standard.

On my 722, I hot the Record button, then move to Options then move up and see a menu "Stop Recording Manually" "Extend End Time "Create Recurring Timer and "Record Entire Event". If the beginning of the event is still in the buffer, you will be able to select that and then move down to "OK" and the entire event will be recorded. Don't know if this is avaliable on the Hopper.

Can you record part of a show on DTV? I always appreciated having a choice.

Honestly, I have no idea - I never tried. To me, you can always fast forward through a fully recorded show but if it isn't recorded, there's nothing you can do on playback. It sounds like from the posts above that you can select it to record the whole show, but IMO think recording the whole show should be the default.

Beleive me, I like the Hopper setup a lot more than the DTV crap i had, but I do honestly think DTV has the edge when it comes to the GUI layout (less button presses, etc) but not performance. Those things were pigs!

I miss this feature as well and would really like to see it implemented on the Hopper. (I expressed this desire in a post a few weeks back as well.)

The Olympics are a perfect example of not wanting to record the whole show...why would I want a full 5-hour recording if I just want to record women's volleyball? I also record a lot of news stories, not the entire hour-long news program.

It may be better to have recording the whole show as the default, but it never bothered me and I've been so used to the current setup for so long. Most of the time my fully recorded shows I know about ahead of time and I have a timer for that. So when I use the record button, it's usually something I missed (whether it's a snippet or an entire program), and I just know to rewind back to the point before I want recorded. I never trusted the "Record Entire Event" anyway, as it doesn't pad the recording and sometimes it can cut off the beginning if the program starts too soon.

Last edited: