RECORDING QUESTION

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I've had my Hopper now for over two years and just now getting around to asking this question. When I bring up a Prime Time recording and click on it a menu drops down with the option to Save Series. I remember originally when you saved a series, a message remained letting you know that the show was saved. I miss this. Anyway, when I go to my recordings list and check my timers I notice that every show that I have designate to Save Series is defaulted to record new and reruns. So I have to go in and reset them to record new only. I assume that this default is automatic whenever I use the Save Series feature. Seems like a rather odd default position. Is there a way around this?

In my experience, when I use save series, it will record only new if the episode I select it from is a new episode and will record new and reruns if the episode I select it from is a rerun. This is from the guide, so how you're doing it may vary. However, if PTAT has already recorded it, the system may no longer consider it a new episode which is why you get the default of new and reruns.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Am I incorrect in thinking that If you do not hit "Save Series" in the PTAT pull down list that the shows will be discarded after a set amount of days? The new shows are starting this week and every one that I hit "Save Series" for has shown up in the category "Record new and reruns" in the timers list. Naturally all of the shows slated for PTAT now are new shows.

Am I incorrect in thinking that If you do not hit "Save Series" in the PTAT pull down list that the shows will be discarded after a set amount of days? The new shows are starting this week and every one that I hit "Save Series" for has shown up in the category "Record new and reruns" in the timers list. Naturally all of the shows slated for PTAT now are new shows.

If you do not use Save Series the PTAT shows will be deleted after 8 days. If you select the show in the PTAT folder then you will see "Record new and reruns" in the timers list because this show has already aired. You can get around this by selecting the next airing in the guide. If you won't watch all of the shows in the PTAT folder before the 8 days are up you can save individual shows to My Recordings.

Too complicated thomasjk. KISS is the name of the day. At least for me. If I select Save Series it should default to new shows only. If I want new and re runs then MAKE me select it. I'm sure that the vast majority of folks recording from PTAT do not want new and re runs. I've asked several people and they think I'm crazy for even asking.

KISS is the name of the day.

With Dish & the software programmers @ Echostar, be careful what you wish for. They have a bad habit of using "KISS" as a justification for removing options altogether, even if they were useful to and used by many, in the name of "simplifying" the UI.

Good Example is their recent removal of the 4X Trick Play speed...so that there were only three trick play speeds. God help us that we had to put up with FOUR speed options for years before that. :rolleyes: