Recording using "drive?" thru my Vizio TV?

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
On side of my Vizio Smart T.V." I have a USB port. According to a " flash drive ( portable stick) available in sizes from 1-3TB, the pack said you plug it into the USB and the smart tv can record OTA onto the drive? Seems easy enough IF my tv has the program for setting recordings. I assume I'd play back on laptop or tv...Also saw a "converter" that has HDMI pass thru that will do the same thing..(assuming the converter will use the same kind of "stick.." Seems if I were to buy at least the stick and plug in, if my tv has the smart app, 1TB is a lot of memory just for OTA. Can go as high as a 3TB stick. Also wondered if it would work for media like this. Packaging was vague but the converter (looks like a digital to analog but also allows HD with a HDMI port for tv for HD allowing you to put a stick in the slot to record and it being like a "stripped down TiVo (no sub fees, etc...) Thoughts on this? Thanks!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using the SatelliteGuys app!

You need to offer up what specific model Vizio Smart TV you're talking about at the very least.

Assuming that the program is recorded in vanilla MPEG2 doesn't seem all that reasonable given that some of the newer devices (like the Amazon Recast) don't support this.

Many smart TVs support playing of media recorded elsewhere using the USB drive and that's what you may be seeing.

Reactions: andy_horton
You need to offer up what specific model Vizio Smart TV you're talking about at the very least.

Assuming that the program is recorded in vanilla MPEG2 doesn't seem all that reasonable given that some of the newer devices (like the Amazon Recast) don't support this.

Many smart TVs support playing of media recorded elsewhere using the USB drive and that's what you may be seeing.
The tv is a 32in D series Model D32f. It has a USB port on the side. It's a yr old this month. Hope this helps

According to the Vizio Support page, the model numbers of the D32F end in either a -E1 or a -F1. Both models were offered from last year on (the manuals are both copyright 2017). Understand that when you bought a TV has very little to do with what model it is or when it was manufactured.

If you have an D32F-E1, page 45 of its manual covers the use of the USB port in detail. The E1 model is perhaps a little smarter (it can download apps) than the F1 model so the manual is larger. If you have an D32F-F1, page 38 is the place to look.

Where did you read this information you offered in the OP? What is this "pack" and what is the "converter" that you referred to and how do they relate to the TV (if at all)?

According to the Vizio Support page, the model numbers of the D32F end in either a -E1 or a -F1. Both models were offered from last year on (the manuals are both copyright 2017). Understand that when you bought a TV has very little to do with what model it is or when it was manufactured.

If you have an D32F-E1, page 45 of its manual covers the use of the USB port in detail. The E1 model is perhaps a little smarter (it can download apps) than the F1 model so the manual is larger. If you have an D32F-F1, page 38 is the place to look.

Where did you read this information you offered in the OP? What is this "pack" and what is the "converter" that you referred to and how do they relate to the TV (if at all)?
The "drives" if you will are the same that plug into a laptop to transfer pics, videos. The converter boxes, sold at Best Buy is where I saw them close to the section of hard drive dvr's, work exactly like when the digital conversion happened for older tv's. These support both digital to analog for older tv's, but also support HD via an HDMI port, but also use the little "drives" that you would plug into a laptop to download pics and video. According to the package, you may purchase 3, 16GB or 2, 32GB storage thumb drives. They also carried 1,2,3 GB thumb flash drives that connect into the converter, and the converter allows you to record ota programming, and also pause f2f or rewind and delete as the consumer sees fit. I guess it would be a cheap mans TiVo dvr...I'll refer to my Vizio guide to figure out besides pics what it's capable of handling.

Maybe you should restate your question. Better yet, explain in general terms what you hope to accomplish (i.e. "I want to record OTA programming", "I want to pause live OTA programming" or some combination).

The way I read your post, you hoped to plug in a USB flash drive into your television's USB port and transform your TV into a DVR.

If you're contemplating the purchase of a cheap (<$40) OTA tuner with DVR features, that's a completely different question and has absolutely nothing to do with your TV.

Maybe you should restate your question. Better yet, explain in general terms what you hope to accomplish (i.e. "I want to record OTA programming", "I want to pause live OTA programming" or some combination).

The way I read your post, you hoped to plug in a USB flash drive into your television's USB port and transform your TV into a DVR.

If you're contemplating the purchase of a cheap (<$40) OTA tuner with DVR features, that's a completely different question and has absolutely nothing to do with your TV.
To clarify, buying a converter box, which allows you to plug in a USB drive into the front of the converter, will allow you to record ota tv. You may then pause, few, FF and delete as wanted/needed at my leisure. The USB drives come in a 3 pack 16GB per drive, or, 2pack 32GB drives. You may also purchase 1TB, 2TB, or 3TB USB drives by themselves. On the packages you purchase that have the USB drives in them, they say they also are compatible with all Vizio smart tv's. Why this would make a difference I simply didn't know other than thinking maybe Vizio has a feature on some of their smart tv's to insert the drive if wanted into the side USB port to watch as my tv remote has all the few, FF, etc buttons and it's not a universal remote. Just the remote that came with tv. So, yes. Different questions, but same end result..I would assume I could watch thru the converter box with USB drive in its port or maybe if I chose directly into the tv's USB port.

If you can find small USB hard drives, they're typically a lot cheaper than flash drives and will last a lot longer.

You need to read the TV manual page I mentioned regarding what you can (and cannot) use the USB port for (the -E1 model is entirely useless for video content).

All modern tuners feature HDMI outputs and a few of them include composite outputs. None that I've seen feature more than one USB port and that port is tied up by the storage drive.

You don't need to speculate about OTA tuners with DVR functions. Amazon carries many different models (soon to include their own Recast DVR). I would note that most of the inexpensive ones don't offer "trick play" on live programming.

I highly recommend you read some reviews and watch some unboxings on YouTube of these tuners. They'll tell you more than you wanted to know so you don't have to resort to guessing and deriving half-baked theories about how you might accomplish what you want. Starting with how you'll provide storage or connect to the TV is going at it completely backwards.

If you can find small USB hard drives, they're typically a lot cheaper than flash drives and will last a lot longer.

You need to read the TV manual page I mentioned regarding what you can (and cannot) use the USB port for (the -E1 model is entirely useless for video content).

All modern tuners feature HDMI outputs and a few of them include composite outputs. None that I've seen feature more than one USB port and that port is tied up by the storage drive.

You don't need to speculate about OTA tuners with DVR functions. Amazon carries many different models (soon to include their own Recast DVR). I would note that most of the inexpensive ones don't offer "trick play" on live programming.

I highly recommend you read some reviews and watch some unboxings on YouTube of these tuners. They'll tell you more than you wanted to know so you don't have to resort to guessing and deriving half-baked theories about how you might accomplish what you want. Starting with how you'll provide storage or connect to the TV is going at it completely backwards.
Thanks for the info. The 19 yr old at Best Buy talked 90 miles a minute on everthing and wanted a sale. That's why I came here knowing going in I could only speculate. I'll prob in all honesty purchase a typical (major manufacturer) ota DVR. Because we all know you get what you pay for.

Doing initial research at Best Buy is suicide. Confirming your last few questions before purchase will show you how little some of the salespushers know.

YouTube is full of comparisions and expositions on many of the models. Amazon has lots of reviews that go into considerable detail and there are some reviews on cord cutter sites and Lifehacker that should be treated with a certain amount of distrust. You don't have to rely on the Smurf Shirts to do your research for you.

In the DVR business there are no "major manufacturers" as every one of them subcontracts at least the hardware. There are only well-known names and not-so-well-known names. You really do have to do your homework.