Recordings Won't Delete

toricred

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
New Mexico
Since my second HWS received S520 I've been having problems deleting recordings when I'm done watching them. I'm watching on a Wireless Joey (can't wait to replace it with the 4K Joey). On some recordings deleting them works just fine, but on others it will act like they are deleting, but leave them on the list of recordings and not go into the Trash. I have yet to figure out how to get them to go away. I have verified that they aren't protected (I never use protection). Any ideas how to clear these recordings?

Have you noticed a similar issue on your other Hopper as well, or just this one? Have you already tried resetting your Hopper?

I haven't noticed anything on the other Hopper, but I also don't connect to it very often (probably less than 10 recordings on there at the moment). Normally the recordings on my "secondary" HWS show up in the DVR list on the main one that I connect to so I don't need to connect to the secondary. BTW this merging is awesome and I love it. I tried a reset and the recordings cleared out, but now I'm still having the problem with other recordings. It's almost like it needs to do a disk check of the file allocation table and can only do it when it resets.

I didn't pull the power. I pushed the reset button on the receiver. It's primetime now so I'll try that tomorrow. When I did the reset I heard a lot of drive activity as it came up. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing though.

I haven't noticed anything on the other Hopper, but I also don't connect to it very often (probably less than 10 recordings on there at the moment). Normally the recordings on my "secondary" HWS show up in the DVR list on the main one that I connect to so I don't need to connect to the secondary. BTW this merging is awesome and I love it. I tried a reset and the recordings cleared out, but now I'm still having the problem with other recordings. It's almost like it needs to do a disk check of the file allocation table and can only do it when it resets.
I just want to make sure you don't think the hopper and Joey have seperate recordings. The Joey is a client of the hopper, so will see everything the hopper does.

I know that the recordings are on the HWS, but thanks for checking. I just happen to be on the Joey when viewing and deleting and I thought there was a chance that it is related. One other thing I've had happening for the last couple of days that might be related is that my Joey keeps dropping the connection with the Hopper. Is there a way, certainly unsupported, to connect the wireless Joey using ethernet instead of wireless. This house seems to have a lot of problems with wireless both for the Joey and the internet.

I cycled the power (pulling the plug) on the problematic HWS tonight and it still has the problem. I do have 2 external drives attached to this Hopper and one of those is showing signs that it's dying. I'm trying to watch everything on it before it dies. Is there any chance that could be messing up the internal drive?

Get another ehd (HWS will support a 3 tb drive) and transfer everything from the drive going bad back to the HWS and then to the new ehd.

Even though it's been pointed out numerous times before you continue to post that the HWS will 'support' a 3TB drive just because you have one and it works. Once again Dish says that up to 2TB is 'supported'. Anything bigger than that is not 'supported' and will probably fail when you put too many titles on it.

Reactions: KAB
Even though it's been pointed out numerous times before you continue to post that the HWS will 'support' a 3TB drive just because you have one and it works. Once again Dish says that up to 2TB is 'supported'. Anything bigger than that is not 'supported' and will probably fail when you put too many titles on it.
Yep the bigger the drive, the bigger the risk.

I'm done arguing the point so I am going to leave this last tidbit and let it be, whatever the conversation that happens after. There is a very big difference between it will work, and it being supported. Just because it works(something like a wireless adapter on a Joey) is not supported and likely because it would not work reliably. Now something supported(such as a 2 TB EHD) is supported as it was specifically designed to work and had likely proven to work reliably regularly. The experience of a few forum members does not constitute supported and unsupported but can give insight to some to try new things.

Reactions: JSheridan and KAB
The price I paid for the 3 tb WD drive at BJ's Wholesale club was the same as a 2 tb at almost every other place, That's why I got it. If I run into the 1000 file limit, so be it.

The price I paid for the 3 tb WD drive at BJ's Wholesale club was the same as a 2 tb at almost every other place, That's why I got it. If I run into the 1000 file limit, so be it.

So please quit telling everybody that the HWS 'supports' your 3TB drive. It doesn't.

So tonight I finally got around to disconnecting the EHDs and power cycle reset. Too soon to tell if it fixed the problem. Based on recent experience I should know if it is fixed by tomorrow.

Well that didn't last. It worked fine for all of about 2 hours and then it stopped deleting recordings again. Is there a way to force a disk check on the internal drive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)