Recover BUD from 20' pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just got a 7.5 mesh off of a pole 11 foot off the ground and use 24ft. extension ladder, strapped to the pole and used it a a boom to lower it down. I unhooked the actuator. and tied 2 ropes to the mount. I held the rope tight and another guy that was helping me lifted it off the pole. It was easy to lower down after that.

Rent a Condor from your local industrial rental house. Of course that may make the cost prohibitive, but you won't die pulling it down. Alternative devices include what's usually referred to as a "manlift", which might be a cheaper rental, or a scissor lift. If you do it on a ladder at 20' up, you're asking for it IMHO.

Got a line on a 12' BUD that is on a 20' pole, making the dump position 14' off the ground.

Any thoughts on getting this down without getting hurt?

first remove the accuator arm & lower the dish flat vertically

you will have to build a crane ... strap or u bolt a heavy guage pole at least 2"or better in diameter about 6'tall on your pole ... you will need it extended from your 20' pool a few inches or so ... put a pulley on the top of it & thread a rope on it ... attach the rope on the dish mount ......you will need one or two people tending to the roope on the ground... or the best thing would be a winch attached to the 20" pole near bottom... with a good crane this is a one man job....... but i recomend at lease two ....

now .. what you want to do is loosen the bolts securing the dish to the 20' pole ... loosen them to where you can freely rotate the dish ....... now the tricky part ... look at the dish ... try to see what is going to happen when it comes off the pole ...it will jump in one direction or another ... try to be out of the way ...... now ... while you are rotating .. or rocking the dish back & forth ... pull the rope & raise it off the pole ... ... just keep pulling & rotating it till it works it self off... then all you need to do is lower it to the ground

did i miss anything???????????????

View attachment 50813I got the BUD down intact. What we did was go up a ladder and tied a rope around the mount on the back side of the dish. Next, I used a grinder and cut half way around the pole. Then a buddy started pulling on the rope while I continued to cut. When it started to go I stopped cutting and let it come down to the ground like a tree. Worked great with no damage to the dish at all.

The black flies were UNBELIEVABLE. Might have crossed my mind if it was later in the year but it's been so warm they're out. The guy I got the dish from said that today was the first day they've been out.

Here's a picture of it. I don't know who makes it. I saw a partial label on it that said Canadian Western something. Has a GI orthomode LNB and corotor. The LNB nor the actuator have been hooked up in a long time. Only broke six bolts. :)

Here's the new baby before it came down:

Attachments

• IMG_0478-3.jpg
    IMG_0478-3.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Got a line on a 12' BUD that is on a 20' pole, making the dump position 14' off the ground.

Any thoughts on getting this down without getting hurt?

Hi, consider renting scaffolding. That's how I got my 10 footer down from a 25 foot high perch. Had to take it apart up in the air but the scaffolding made it safe. Hope this helps, DC

The black flies were UNBELIEVABLE. Might have crossed my mind if it was later in the year but it's been so warm they're out. The guy I got the dish from said that today was the first day they've been out.

Boy, this has been both the earliest we've EVER seen black flies here, and the worst I've ever seen them. There are a couple places near by that when you drive down the road, you think that it has started to pour down rain, then you realize that there isn't a cloud in the sky. Darn things are just overweight gnats, but they are so bad that you just can't go outside in the daytime. :eek: Luckily, they usually only last about 3 or 4 weeks. .... but then the mosquitos and deer flies come out, and they are almost as annoying.
Anyway, I was convinced that with so little snow this winter, that the black flies would all be frozen and it wouldn't be a bad season, but it didn't work that way for some reason.
Anyway, I was JUST about to do some major work on 2 of my dishes a week or so ago, but the black flies put an end to that. You just can't work outside when those guys are out. :( Even out on my boat in the middle of the lake, they make it hard to fish. Nasty little things.

just cut the pipe at ground level in a v shape and slowly walk pole and dish to the side with 2 people . Thats how I took my 12' stardish down, plus you still have a usable pole to install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)