Recovering DVR Free Space?

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
How can I speed up the recovery/availability of DVR free space after moving programs to an external hard drive?

Background: The DVR on our Hopper 3 was nearly full (90+%) so I moved several dozen movies to the EHD. The movies are gone but the DVR still shows as nearly full.

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find the answer.

Thanks in advance

How can I speed up the recovery/availability of DVR free space after moving programs to an external hard drive?

Background: The DVR on our Hopper 3 was nearly full (90+%) so I moved several dozen movies to the EHD. The movies are gone but the DVR still shows as nearly full.

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find the answer.

Thanks in advance
Did you try a pull the cord reset?

The DVR was still 84% full after the power plug reboot BUT…
That may be the correct amount of DVR free space now, because I downloaded roughly 2GB of On Demand this AM after I moved the movies to the EHD yesterday PM. I’ll report back after we watch&delete the On Demand programs.

FWIW I should have paid more attention to how much disk space was used by the movies when I was moving them to the EHD. Unfortunately the DVR reports the space as a %. And the DVR->EHD transfer is reported as GB. So it isn’t obvious how many % of DVR will be freed up by transferring a given amount of GB.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe it takes a few days before the Hopper “empties the trash.”

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell
Seems to me that didn’t work. It removed the listings but did not recover the space immediately.

But it’s been a LONG time since I’ve tried it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Seems to me that didn’t work. It removed the listings but did not recover the space immediately.

But it’s been a LONG time since I’ve tried it.

In my experience recovering, or even measuring the free space is an operation shrouded in mystery and widely varied results. :biggrin

In my experience recovering, or even measuring the free space is an operation shrouded in mystery and widely varied results. :biggrin
At least now I know it’s not a “personal problem” :)

FWIW when I transferred the movies to the EHD they simply appeared on the EHD, disappeared from the DVR and did NOT show up in the Trash. Even manually emptying the trash with DVR/Trash/Options/Delete did not show them or change the DVR %.

We have quite a few timers set, but haven’t watched/deleted much Dish stuff in quite awhile. So the DVR still being 84% full is reasonable. I’ll just free up some more space by moving a bunch more to the EHD, in case we run out of stuff to stream and get desperate for something to watch :)

With my H3, I immediately see a reduction of the % of fullness when I transfer or delete recordings.

MPEG4 recordings usually yield maybe 1% per hour of programming, thusly it takes many moves and/or deletions to make an impact on % fullness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts