Status
Not open for further replies.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Red spot on screen of new Syntax. HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wierd problem with my new Syntax 50inch LcoS Projection set. They are sending me a new one, however I may return if this is something bad just about there sets. Here is what it is doing....

Within 2 days I had a big reflective red spot (changes color too) about the size of a quarter on the right lower screen. Syntax said it must be a piece of dust that settled on the reflective mirror??? Well not after a week i have 3 more smaller red reflective spots.

Hope this is just a problem with this set. Ever heard of this?

Sounds like a dust blob to me. Since more have shown up in the mean time I'd make sure to get a service contract if opening it up voids your warranty.

Thanks, They are sending a new one and it has a 2 year warrenty. But I am fearful it could be a design flaw. Dont want a repeat on new one. It has no void if opened clause. In fact from people I talk with they allow you to open to change your own bulb if you can. I am guessing dust on mirror too. Would that be an easy fix down the line'?

I'm not so sure it's dust on the mirror as dust on an LCOS chip. I'll give it a go on downloading the manual. If not I have a few contacts at Brillian.

That would be great! I apprieciate your help. I had heard good things about this set. Then they unloaded them for 995.00 so I had to add one to the rec room. really like the HD picture. The SD is so so. This LCOS looks very much like LCD to me.
The chip? What would dust do to an IC chip? I would love to know!

iceshark said:
The chip? What would dust do to an IC chip? I would love to know!

Well, I know that dust build-up on a chip can cause it to run hotter, which, besides shortening the life of a good IC, could also induce a premature failure of a defective IC.

I have also heard, that some types of dust _could_ become conductive enough to cause a short (a line of dust, or even loose solder, build on 2 pins, and cause just enough problem, even without a total short) to the component(s) to make them fail, or operate below specs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.