Red Wings are finally getting their new arena

Joe Louis holds 20,066 for hockey. So yes, the new arena will be about 2,000 less seats. If that means the upper deck back isn't at the same level as the row in front of them, and the stairs aren't wacky enough that you feel like you will fall to your death, than it is an upgrade.

I was in the last row of the upper bowl for a playoff game a few years ago, had to stand the entire time to see the game and walking down the stairs if someone bumped you - you were in trouble. Frankly, JLA sucks.

Joe Louis holds 20,066 for hockey. So yes, the new arena will be about 2,000 less seats. If that means the upper deck back isn't at the same level as the row in front of them, and the stairs aren't wacky enough that you feel like you will fall to your death, than it is an upgrade.

I was in the last row of the upper bowl for a playoff game a few years ago, had to stand the entire time to see the game and walking down the stairs if someone bumped you - you were in trouble. Frankly, JLA sucks.

I would agree with the steps, never liked walking those steps, walking up steps should not be that difficult nor scary :)

Well, The Joe is 34 years old and in need of a transfusion, but thats not gonna happen, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use it for addl. room for Cobo Hall once the Wings move on ...

I once had tickets, YES actual tickets to a playoff game where I ended up sitting in what WAS a closet at the top corner of the Arena, when you sat down in your seat, you were actually looking straight out, no way to look down to see the game.

I was PISSED, but found refuge by squeezing in with the SRO crowd after the 1st period.

Want to talk about steps? How many of you saw the Wings at the "Old Red Barn" AKA Olympia? That place was so steep you leaned forward to watch the game. You felt like you were going to fall to the ice from the upper deck. As for the number of seats in the new arena, I personally couldn't care less. Hockey has been out of my affordability for years now. Looks just fine on my 58" Panisonic. Still I welcome a new arena, which will be about 2 miles from my house.

Want to talk about steps? How many of you saw the Wings at the "Old Red Barn" AKA Olympia? That place was so steep you leaned forward to watch the game. You felt like you were going to fall to the ice from the upper deck. As for the number of seats in the new arena, I personally couldn't care less. Hockey has been out of my affordability for years now. Looks just fine on my 58" Panisonic. Still I welcome a new arena, which will be about 2 miles from my house.

I agree, I haven't been to a game since Yzerman retired ...
Watching it on TV is GREAT in HD.

The city is bankrupt, they shouldn't be building new stadiums.

The state board should rethink building the new arena in Detroit - at least until credible and capable non-elected and non-corrupt city management team is put in place to run the city....for the next 50-years.

The CITY is not running the arenas ...

Olympia is running it, ala Illitch enterprises.

Mr. I knows what he's doing, he and Spanos have built the majority of what is good in Detroit, now if they can get others to pitch in and continue building, maybe people would be interested in going there outside of sporting events.

Building outside of Detroit, while would help me, won't help the city at all.
All the major arenas are in the same district, so it makes sense to continue building in the same area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts