Red Wings are finally getting their new arena

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
The rumors and negotiations have been going on for months but it looks like it's official now.

"Detroit's Downtown Development Authority voted Wednesday to approve a memorandum of understanding with the Ilitch family's Olympia Development organization to build a new multipurpose arena and events center on the north end of downtown to house the family-owned Red Wings plus multiple other events."

The total estimated cost is running at $650 Million and that includes some spin-off development near the arena site for retail, parking, office space, and maybe even new housing. 56% would come from private money, 44% would be public. More info here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/wings/2013/06/19/new-detroit-red-wings-arena/2439183/

The rumors and negotiations have been going on for months but it looks like it's official now.

"Detroit's Downtown Development Authority voted Wednesday to approve a memorandum of understanding with the Ilitch family's Olympia Development organization to build a new multipurpose arena and events center on the north end of downtown to house the family-owned Red Wings plus multiple other events."

The total estimated cost is running at $650 Million and that includes some spin-off development near the arena site for retail, parking, office space, and maybe even new housing. 56% would come from private money, 44% would be public. More info here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/wings/2013/06/19/new-detroit-red-wings-arena/2439183/

Finally, they have been talking about it for many years now.
Originally, I think they were talking about doing something on the back side of the Fox Theatre, that has changed as I think it now will go in the same area as Comerica and Ford Field. That said, the Fox is only across the street from Comerica.

More info:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130619/BIZ/306190075/

Last edited:

Attachments

• New_sports_and_entertainment_complex_pos_682160001_20130619174558_640_480.JPG
    New_sports_and_entertainment_complex_pos_682160001_20130619174558_640_480.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 122
Aerial video of the new arena site: [video]http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/aerial-video-site-where-new-red-wings-arena-will-be-built/-/1719418/20639142/-/oo4bn8z/-/index.html[/video]

Site of the new arena highlighted in red. I should also mention that the arena itself will cost $450 Million. The other $200 Million will fund the development of the new entertainment district surrounding it. http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...velopment-authority-making-major-announcement

They figured they better get it passed if they want the Ilitch money involved... (should have been done years ago.)
Mr. I will hopefully be around to see the place when it opens.

I gotta say with this new arena, the new detroit-windsor bridge, and the remodeling of cobo center, Downtown Detroit is gonna look a lot better by the time 2020 rolls around.

You do have to ask though how can "bankrupt" Detroit afford to put any money into this project? I mean,Detroit is the poster child for a "failed city."

The city is, but the Sports organizations are entirely different.
Mr. Illitch has willingly spent money to allow his teams to compete and Win, Red Wings and Tigers are both well run teams normally stock with very good players.

Mr. Illitch has also spent plenty of money to BUILD Detroit, you will not find anyone in Detroit that does not appreciate what the man has done.

You do have to ask though how can "bankrupt" Detroit afford to put any money into this project? I mean,Detroit is the poster child for a "failed city."

Taxes will be passed on to us for a portion of public funding.

Will the Pistons play in there too and if so do they have to contribute to the cost?

Not at this time, one thing about the Palace (where this pistons play) its 20 years old but walking in you would think its a new arena, Bill Davidson who owned the Pistons built the arena and had a great concept for the place and if I am right no public money was used. If you are going to find anything wrong with the place it's in a area of auburn hills that there is really no business around the arena

Yes its about 19,000 with the standing room

And they are gonna have LESS Seating in the new one ?

They sold out from around '92 (when Lindstrom got there), till at least after 2006 when the Yzerman group left.

I don't know if they are still selling out of not, but if they play next year with the energy they played in the Playoffs, they will be sold out again.

And they are gonna have LESS Seating in the new one ?

They sold out from around '92 (when Lindstrom got there), till at least after 2006 when the Yzerman group left.

I don't know if they are still selling out of not, but if they play next year with the energy they played in the Playoffs, they will be sold out again.

Pretty sure I read that the new arena will have 10% less seating, probably more suites...more demand for a smaller arena thus even higher prices :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)