Red Wings sign Marian Hossa... I think

Depth is the key. Wings are almost 5 lines deep with a good mix of youth mentored by veterans. Many of those veterans are destined for the Hall of Fame.

It's obvious that Hossa thinks the Red Wings are the better team, and they are right now, but the Pens offered him 5 years at 7 million a year, it's his right not to take it.

But I hope, well maybe not, gets what he wants(a ring), because if he gets seriously hurt, or doesn't perform well, he wont make the 9 million a year that Edmonton offered him.

The Pens will be fine without him, they have Crosby for five more years, Malkin for six, Staal will be signed, Fleury will be signed, Orpik just signed to make the defense strong, pieces will fall into place.

The only thing I worry about is if they sign Jagr, he's a hell of a player, but his attitude could ruin the chemistry that is already in place.

Hossa is only signed for 1 year.
I wonder who the Red Wings are about to let get away ?
The have a good mix of young and established players.

Looks like the Wings could have offered Hossa a long term contract, but have several players they need to sign next summer, including Zetterberg and Franzen, So Hossa agreed to a 1 year contract with the probablility of signing for a longer term after next summer.
Looks like he will be in Detroit for quite awhile once some other signings get done.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Hossa is only signed for 1 year.
I wonder who the Red Wings are about to let get away ?
The have a good mix of young and established players.

Looks like the Wings could have offered Hossa a long term contract, but have several players they need to sign next summer, including Zetterberg and Franzen, So Hossa agreed to a 1 year contract with the probablility of signing for a longer term after next summer.
Looks like he will be in Detroit for quite awhile once some other signings get done.

Jimbo

One question is what Dallas Drake going to do. Will he retire or keep going :confused:

Actually, the Wings had MORE than thier share of injuries THIS past year and won it all.

They struggled thru Feb. with like a 5 - 20 record (just a guess) until they got some regulars back.

That said, most of the guys they called up played very well and some of them were big contributors in the playoffs.

Jimbo

Exactly, I remember way too many times that I was watching Grand Rapids LINES on Detoit ice. Not GR players...entire lines.

They were very fortunate to get healty before / early in the playoffs, and got some great goaltending to get them there.

Great news on Hossa coming aboard :)

Don't be suprised if Kenny Holland tries to extend his contract (Hossa) mid-season. Just signing for one now doesn't mean he'll be a free agent next summer. They've done this many times, get them on board and then figure it out when the get comfortable in Hockeytown.

My only problem with signing Hossa is that the length of the contract is a wee bit short. The Wings may be a little gun shy with high-priced free agents though, given recent history.
You may remember these names:
Uwe Krupp (D)- 4 yrs. $16.4M played in all of 30 games.
Curtis Joseph (G) - 3 yrs. $24M 50-42 in the regular season.
Derian Hatcher (D) - 5 yrs. $30M played in 15 games.

My only problem with signing Hossa is that the length of the contract is a wee bit short. The Wings may be a little gun shy with high-priced free agents though, given recent history.
You may remember these names:
Uwe Krupp (D)- 4 yrs. $16.4M played in all of 30 games.
Curtis Joseph (G) - 3 yrs. $24M 50-42 in the regular season.
Derian Hatcher (D) - 5 yrs. $30M played in 15 games.

"Looks like the Wings could have offered Hossa a long term contract, but have several players they need to sign next summer, including Zetterberg and Franzen, So Hossa agreed to a 1 year contract with the probablility of signing for a longer term after next summer.
Looks like he will be in Detroit for quite awhile once some other signings get done."

Jimbo

It's obvious that Hossa thinks the Red Wings are the better team, and they are right now, but the Pens offered him 5 years at 7 million a year, it's his right not to take it.

But I hope, well maybe not, gets what he wants(a ring), because if he gets seriously hurt, or doesn't perform well, he wont make the 9 million a year that Edmonton offered him.

The Pens will be fine without him, they have Crosby for five more years, Malkin for six, Staal will be signed, Fleury will be signed, Orpik just signed to make the defense strong, pieces will fall into place.

The only thing I worry about is if they sign Jagr, he's a hell of a player, but his attitude could ruin the chemistry that is already in place.

So much for the talk of Jagr going to Pittsburgh.
Today he signed with a team from Russia.

Jimbo

I'm borderline on his HOF worthiness.

Borderline?

Are you crazy?

Let's see:

646 goals, 953 assists, 1599 points

5-time scoring champion, including 4 in a row]

Led the NHL in assists three times

Two-time 50-goal scorer

7-time NHL First All-Star team member

Countless All-Star Games

1998 Gold Medal

1999 Hart Trophy for League MVP

2 Stanley Cups

30-goals every year but his first and last

Countless highlight reel goals

And you think he is BORDERLINE?

Jagr, IMO, is a lock for the HOF.

You may have dropped the puck on that one SatinKzo. I agree with SabresRule on this one. I'm really surprised he went to Russia.

I too agree with SabresRule,
If you don't like a guy, that is not merit for him not being HOF qualified.

Q. How long do you have to be retired before the HOF comes knocking ?
Mario being the exception of course.

Jimbo

Jagr's stats are great don't get me wrong, but for me HOF is more than stats and watching Jagr over the years, he's never been much of a leader and he always seemed questionable on his desire to win over desire to pad stats. He was more of a stats guy the whole time and only went to teams where he could be opportunistic and benefit from others, not be a leader.

That to me is why he is not HOF material. Will he be in the HOF? Most certainly, but I won't agree with it.

It has nothing to do with personality, I never took note of it. I'm sure there are plenty of public relations nightmares in the HOF. I'm not surprised he went to Russia, he will be able to continue to excel there. I also can't blame him for taking the money over trying for the cup 1 more time somewhere. I also think the Rangers will be better as a team without him and they played it smart in grabbing Naslund (albeit a bit pricey), thus letting Jagr know he was free to move on and that they were not going to play the little games Jagr likes to play when it comes to negotiations.

Jagr's stats are great don't get me wrong, but for me HOF is more than stats and watching Jagr over the years, he's never been much of a leader and he always seemed questionable on his desire to win over desire to pad stats. He was more of a stats guy the whole time and only went to teams where he could be opportunistic and benefit from others, not be a leader.

That to me is why he is not HOF material.

Jagr's stats are great don't get me wrong, but for me HOF is more than stats and watching Jagr over the years, he's never been much of a leader and he always seemed questionable on his desire to win over desire to pad stats.

This is how I always looked at Mario as well, mainly a stat guy, never went out of his way to play D, lots of cherry picked goals from hanging out at the blue line.
But, I think he's a HOF 'er

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)