Redskins name controvesy

As an person of Irish heritage I demand Notre Dame change their name.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

I wonder if I could jump on that bandwagon?Cherokee,Irish,and Scottish,bloodlines.I'm thinking I could complain about several teams now.:D

Because as we all know, the only ethnic stereotypes in sports are Native Americans. Oh wait.

033393c13e6dec0fd6cc5006453fbeb5.png

Minnesota_Vikings.jpg

I think I'm supposed to be offended or something. I guess I can't be arsed to be.
Thanks for commenting without having read the original post or any of the follow-ups that specifically address these two teams.

Because as we all know, the only ethnic stereotypes in sports are Native Americans. Oh wait.

033393c13e6dec0fd6cc5006453fbeb5.png

Minnesota_Vikings.jpg

I think I'm supposed to be offended or something. I guess I can't be arsed to be.

I'm Irish-American and that Celtic could be twirling a bottle of John Jameson instead of a basketball and it wouldn't bother me in the least......stereotypes and PC be damned!! ;)

As an person of Irish heritage I demand Notre Dame change their name.

Oh, I agree. Just look at their mascot.
ND-logo.jpg

That leprechaun is obviously drunk and looking for a fight. That implies that all Irish are pugnacious, drunk midgets. Never mind how accurate it is, its damned offensive. :D

Ooh! Ooh! I know that one!!!!! Knickerbocker is an old term that essentially meant "New Yorker". It came from literature in the late 1700's, I think it was the name of the main characters in a very popular book that took in NY.

Do you know the derogatory term for a native Californian?

I will issue a challenge: Can anyone name a team whose mascot name is only a racial slur when used in any other context from the inception of the term, like Redskin?

I will issue a challenge: Can anyone name a team whose mascot name is only a racial slur when used in any other context from the inception of the term Redskin?

I disagree with the premise that the term Redskin is ONLY a racially derogatory term.

...That leprechaun is obviously drunk and looking for a fight. That implies that all Irish are pugnacious, drunk midgets. Never mind how accurate it is, its damned offensive. :D

But it's common knowledge the Irish are drunkards who love fighting...just as we Germans are warmongers who drink beer to excess and stuff meat-stuff into sausage casings. I would not be offended by the name Blitzkeggers. :)

Costa just needs to STFU and announce the game. We don't want to hear the political views of a sports commentator no matter if we agree with it or not. We tune in to watch a game, not get a lecture. Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

+1
I've grown tired of his s%^t.
Bob. You need to run for office or leave your personal views at home.
The last 3 months I've seen you personals views on the Masters, gun control and now this. Time for you to move on!!

I disagree with the premise that the term Redskin is ONLY a racially derogatory term.

Please show me where the term redskin used to describe an American Indian is NOT used as a derogatory term. It may not be meant as a derogatory term, but it is.

Once again for those that keep on MISSING THE POINT: It's the Fighting Irish, not "The drunken micks". It's the Boston Celtics, not the Potato-Heads. There are no team names such as Darkies, Wops, Guineas, Limeys, Krauts, Japs, Chinks. All the team names other than redskin has an alternate meaning or is a tribute to the people or people's culture they use as a mascot. You can keep on coming up with these false equivalencies to include the Irish or Celtics or Vikings, but from the beginning, those differences have been explained.

Do you know the derogatory term for a native Californian?

Does anyone know the answer to this? The term was derived from the Great Depression era. Keep in mind that CA is the biggest agricultural state in the country.

I will issue a challenge: Can anyone name a team whose mascot name is only a racial slur when used in any other context from the inception of the term, like Redskin?

How about the Indians?There are Indians,and then there are American Indians.

Please show me where the term redskin used to describe an American Indian is NOT used as a derogatory term. It may not be meant as a derogatory term, but it.

I didn't say it is NOT, I said it isn't only.

Does anyone know the answer to this? The term was derived from the Great Depression era. Keep in mind that CA is the biggest agricultural state in the country.

Tree hugger?:D libtard?:D

In a 2004 study, almost 90% of Native Americans polled did not find the name Redskins as being racist. This latest Redskins name extortion...er, I mean tussle, is due to litigation and paid lobbyists buying media time. I'll betcha this issue would disappear faster than than a fifth of Jim Beam on the reservation should the Redskins organization agree to share a percentage of profits from football operations and bead & trinket sales. Oops! Was that a racist statement? And here I thought it was just a joke. Anyway, this issue has more to do with a money grab than it does with racism IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)