Redskins name controvesy

Does anyone know the answer to this? The term was derived from the Great Depression era. Keep in mind that CA is the biggest agricultural state in the country.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Prune Picker.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

My problem is that only a few seeking their 15 mins of fame are complaining about this. I'm part Cherokee/Scottish and my grandparents and their brothers, sisters and my cousins are Cherokee, Chickasaw or Choctaw and not one of them knows anyone that objects to the name.

Redskins was originally used in reference to the tribes that painted their faces with red pigments and later was used to designate all Indian tribes.

I guess we need to change the name of our State and Universities from Oklahoma as Oklahoma is taken from the Choctaw language Okla and Humma meaning red people.

I live in the middle of what was Indian Territory. My nephews go to Union High School known as the Redskins, I grew up in Seminole, OK home of the Chieftains and 30 miles down the road you have Tecumseh,OK , home of the Tecumseh Savages. You have the Kingston, OK Redskins whose schools are nearly 60% "Native American" so I guess for the last 104 years they have been insulting themselves. The Stillwell Indians of Stillwell Public Schools in Stillwell, OK have a 70% Cherokee population, lets change their name too. Hell everyone should quit calling us Sooners, since that means we are all thief's that jumped the gun and entered Indian Territory early to stake land claims.

To 95% or more this means nothing, it's just a certain few looking for a little bit of fame, so they can go down in the history books.

The issue is "What else does it mean?"
Cracker can be used as a racial slur, or it can mean a tasty snack with cheese. Cowboy USED to be a pejorative term in the 1880s, it's not now. Redskin when accompanied with an indianhead means nothing else but a racial slur. That is the issue.

Times change, the names were started long ago and there wasn't an issue with them when they were started or they would have done something about it back then.

The world we live in needs to "Grow a Pair", anything you say now days can be construed as something else.

We currently have a generation or two that doesn't Respect anything or anyone ... (this by no means is saying everyone is this way), but you have people, that disrespect others so much that peope are shot and killed daily, there is no regard for someone elses life, unless of course it's thiers.

Watch the 11 pm news and EVERY NIGHT I hear someone has been shot, probably dead, someone has set someone elses house on fire ...
And I don't live in what most would consider a violent city.

Jay Barker local sports talk show host said this morning while visiting a school (not sure where) he noticed a lot kids wearing Washington Redskin jersey, shirts and or hats.
I forgot to mention most are Native American Indian. :)
He said they wore it with pride.
I've always wondered why some people think they are so smart that they need to speak for "others" when "others" feel exactly the opposite:)

I will repeat: names like Wizards, Giants, [insert other false equivalencies here] have OTHER meanings. None of those names arose as a pejorative for a race of people and in any other context continue to be a pejorative term. A true equivalent would be the Cleveland Darkies.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind right away. I just want you to see what it is you are defending. Because something has been around for a long time does not mean it was okay all along and suddenly became not okay. It was NEVER okay. It's just now there are enough people out there with a dissenting voice to be heard.

No, now there are just enough people out there wanting something to bitch about.

It was perfectly fine in the world when it was started.
It's a real shame this world has fallen so far as to find things like this to complain about.

http://www.newson6.com/story/23688675/native-american-group-offended-by-union-highs-use-of-redskins (OKLAHOMA)
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-meet-oneida-indian-nation-redskins-article-1.1479562
www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-meet-oneida-indian-nation-redskins-article-1.1479562
http://q13fox.com/2013/06/24/port-townsend-school-board-votes-to-change-redskins-mascot/

Schools That Have Changed Their Name From Redskins

oakpark.gif

Oak Park High School - Oak Park, MI (1990) - Knights

ISDB.gif

Idaho Deaf & Blind School - Gooding, ID (early 1990s) - Raptors

grandforks.gif

Grand Forks Central School - Grand Forks, ND (1992) - Knights

naperville.gif

Naperville High School - Naperville, IL (1992) - Redhawks

arvada.gif

Arvada High School - Arvada, CO (1993) - Bulldogs

goffstown.gif

Goffstown High School - Goffstown, NH (1994) - Grizzlies

northriver.gif

North River High School - Cosmopolis, WA (1995) - Mustangs

seneca.gif

Seneca High School - Louisville, KY (1997) - Redhawks

marist.gif

Marist High School - Chicago, IL (1997) - Redhawks

mountainempire.gif

Mountain Empire School - Pine Valley, CA (1997) - Redhawks

iowafalls.gif

Iowa Falls-Alden High School - Iowa Falls, IA (1999) - Cadets

frontier.gif

Frontier Regional School - Deerfield, MA (2000) - Red Hawks

rickards.gif

Rickards High School - Tallahassee, FL (2000) - Raiders

hiawatha.gif

Hiawatha High School - Hiawatha, KS (2001) - Red Hawks

parsippany.gif

Parsippany High School - Troy Hills, NJ (2001) - Red Hawks

scarborough.gif

Scarborough High School - Scarborough, ME (2001) - Red Storm

saranaclake.gif

Saranac Lake High School - Saranac Lake, NY (2001) - Red Storm

glenwood.gif

Glenwood High School - Chatham, IL (2001) - Titans

morris.gif

Milford High School - Highland Township, MI (2002) - Mavericks

huntley.gif

Huntley High School - Huntley, IL (2002) - Red Raiders

edmondsonwestside.gif

Edmondson-Westside School - Baltimore, MD (2002) - Redstorm

marshall.gif

Marshall High School - Marshall, MI (2005) - Redhawks

cardinalgibbons.gif

Cardinal Gibbons High School - Ft. Lauderdale, FL (2006) - Chiefs

wiscasset.gif

Wiscasset High School - Wiscasset, ME (2011) - Wolverines

colusa.gif

Colusa High School - Colusa, CA (2011) - RedHawks

redlodge.gif

Red Lodge High School - Red Lodge, MT (2011) - Rams

sanford.gif

Sanford High School - Sanford, ME (2012) - Spartans

http://www.newson6.com/story/23688675/native-american-group-offended-by-union-highs-use-of-redskins (OKLAHOMA)
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-meet-oneida-indian-nation-redskins-article-1.1479562
www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-meet-oneida-indian-nation-redskins-article-1.1479562
http://q13fox.com/2013/06/24/port-townsend-school-board-votes-to-change-redskins-mascot/

Schools That Have Changed Their Name From Redskins

oakpark.gif

Oak Park High School - Oak Park, MI (1990) - Knights

ISDB.gif

Idaho Deaf & Blind School - Gooding, ID (early 1990s) - Raptors

grandforks.gif

Grand Forks Central School - Grand Forks, ND (1992) - Knights

naperville.gif

Naperville High School - Naperville, IL (1992) - Redhawks

arvada.gif

Arvada High School - Arvada, CO (1993) - Bulldogs

goffstown.gif

Goffstown High School - Goffstown, NH (1994) - Grizzlies

northriver.gif

North River High School - Cosmopolis, WA (1995) - Mustangs

seneca.gif

Seneca High School - Louisville, KY (1997) - Redhawks

marist.gif

Marist High School - Chicago, IL (1997) - Redhawks

mountainempire.gif

Mountain Empire School - Pine Valley, CA (1997) - Redhawks

iowafalls.gif

Iowa Falls-Alden High School - Iowa Falls, IA (1999) - Cadets

frontier.gif

Frontier Regional School - Deerfield, MA (2000) - Red Hawks

rickards.gif

Rickards High School - Tallahassee, FL (2000) - Raiders

hiawatha.gif

Hiawatha High School - Hiawatha, KS (2001) - Red Hawks

parsippany.gif

Parsippany High School - Troy Hills, NJ (2001) - Red Hawks

scarborough.gif

Scarborough High School - Scarborough, ME (2001) - Red Storm

saranaclake.gif

Saranac Lake High School - Saranac Lake, NY (2001) - Red Storm

glenwood.gif

Glenwood High School - Chatham, IL (2001) - Titans

morris.gif

Milford High School - Highland Township, MI (2002) - Mavericks

huntley.gif

Huntley High School - Huntley, IL (2002) - Red Raiders

edmondsonwestside.gif

Edmondson-Westside School - Baltimore, MD (2002) - Redstorm

marshall.gif

Marshall High School - Marshall, MI (2005) - Redhawks

cardinalgibbons.gif

Cardinal Gibbons High School - Ft. Lauderdale, FL (2006) - Chiefs

wiscasset.gif

Wiscasset High School - Wiscasset, ME (2011) - Wolverines

colusa.gif

Colusa High School - Colusa, CA (2011) - RedHawks

redlodge.gif

Red Lodge High School - Red Lodge, MT (2011) - Rams

sanford.gif

Sanford High School - Sanford, ME (2012) - Spartans

Sadly, none of them should have had too.

Sadly, none of them should have had too.

Sadly, none of them had the money nor will to fight being extorted. Besides, it's High School football which will soon go away because it's too violent. Soccer players are now being required to wear headgear and the game tag is being banned. Next up: MMA fighters may only use tickle feathers.

It's simple, put it to a vote. Allow every member of every tribe take a vote. That will tell you how unimportant it really is and that there are many other things these people should be working on, than what some teams mascot is.

Miami University changed its name to Redhawks too. The world did not come to an end.

Like I said, lets ask the people of the tribes. It's not hard to take a vote, this is nothing more than a few trying to get their names in the history books. Chief Tiger is known for anything that can get his name in the news and he is trying to get elected as the new President of the NCAI National Congress of American Indians.

That's why they are going after Union, the largest school district in the State instead of going after Tecumseh, Stillwell, McCloud, Tulsa Central, Sapulpa, Broken Bow, Arapho, Bluebonnet, OC Capitol Hill, Calumet, Catoosa, Comanche, Dustin, El Reno, Marietta, Plainview and probably another 50 or so I can't think of that use Redskins or Indians as their mascot.

If the Washington logo was a potato and everyone wore spud caps and sang the potato fight song, this would not be an issue. :) I've been saying this for a decade.

There is a High School in my area who still has the Redskins as their name. Hurricane Redskins in Hurricane, WV.
I don't want it changed because then I would have to buy all new stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)