Refer-a-Friend

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NateCohen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
So I signed up for DirecTV about 2 months ago. I signed up using this website.

DIRECTV: Referral Program

Since my Mom has an account I decided to take advantage of the refer a friend offer.

On the website it says to call 1-800-507-4045 and give the DirecTV rep the account number of the existing customer.

So I call that number and I let the lady know I want to sign up and use my mom as a referral. She said no problem and asked for the account number of my moms account.

So anyway I get my first bill when I first sign up and noticed there wasn't a credit for refer a friend so I called and let them know it didn't show up and they ensured it would show up on the next bill.

Well I just got my second bill a couple weeks ago and still no credit for refer a friend. So now I call again and explain the situation. They say there's no record of refer a friend and asked what number I called.

I give them the phone number on the website and the rep tells me she's sorry, but that's not the number you call for refer a friend and the correct number is 1-866-443-8869.

I told her that's no the number advertised on the website and she once again said sorry but you need to call the correct refer a friend number.

What the hell is wrong with these reps? How can you advertise a totally different phone number on the website and then deny the credits because you call the number advertised? Am I the only one who has gone through this?

Thay did this to me 2 time .The first time I let it go but the 2nd time I told them if thay do not give if to me I will switch to cable tv. so thay gave me $10 off for 12mo`s =$120

Wow, I just had the exact same thing happen to me. No difference at all. My buddy called the number and I got a letter today stating that he didn't use the correct phone number even though they told him that he was all set. DirecTV better watch out or they might have some FTC folks looking at them very soon. I'm sure we aren't the only few people that have had this happened to. Sounds like false advertising to me.

I had the same experience with the refer a friend program. I knew we followed the proper procedure to the letter (because I had read about bad experiences on these forums). I figured no way would it happen to me.... It did. It took about a dozen emails back and forth before they issues a $10/month credit for 12 months to both our accounts. They did not call it the refer a friend credit, though. It certainly has the appearance of impropriety on their part.

This is such bull. So it has been about a month since I started this thread and I still haven't received the credit I was promised. I called again and they said they didn't see anything on my account for a credit and I called the wrong phone number.
I'm about to file a complaint to the BBB since this is complete false advertisement.
Also when I talked to a supervisor the rep said it would be about an hour to talk to one.

I'm just going to file a complaint with the BBB. I called again and they said that my request for refer a friend was denied because I went through a wrong dealer or something. I guess calling the number provided was the wrong dealer.
I hate filing a complaint but if that's the way they want to treat their customers.

Did you email Ellen at the email address Jason gave you? She and her staff are usually good at fixing these sort of things. Here it is again:

eafilipiak@directv.com

I would try it first, then file the BBB complaint if you don't get some satisfaction from her office. Let us know how it goes....

So I signed up for DirecTV about 2 months ago. I signed up using this website.

DIRECTV: Referral Program

Since my Mom has an account I decided to take advantage of the refer a friend offer.

On the website it says to call 1-800-507-4045 and give the DirecTV rep the account number of the existing customer.

So I call that number and I let the lady know I want to sign up and use my mom as a referral. She said no problem and asked for the account number of my moms account.

So anyway I get my first bill when I first sign up and noticed there wasn't a credit for refer a friend so I called and let them know it didn't show up and they ensured it would show up on the next bill.

Well I just got my second bill a couple weeks ago and still no credit for refer a friend. So now I call again and explain the situation. They say there's no record of refer a friend and asked what number I called.

I give them the phone number on the website and the rep tells me she's sorry, but that's not the number you call for refer a friend and the correct number is 1-866-443-8869.

I told her that's no the number advertised on the website and she once again said sorry but you need to call the correct refer a friend number.

What the hell is wrong with these reps? How can you advertise a totally different phone number on the website and then deny the credits because you call the number advertised? Am I the only one who has gone through this?

What a ridiculous business practice. That same number is still on their website.

It's really too bad there isn't more competition. It would be much better if Dish Network and cable had the exact same programming offerings as DTV. Competition would be good for all of us. I'm making my choice of DTV because I'm a sports fan. I want my regional sports network in full time HD as well as the option to get basically any sports package. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's hard to when you read some of the stuff they are pulling on these forums.

What a ridiculous business practice. That same number is still on their website.

It's really too bad there isn't more competition. It would be much better if Dish Network and cable had the exact same programming offerings as DTV. Competition would be good for all of us. I'm making my choice of DTV because I'm a sports fan. I want my regional sports network in full time HD as well as the option to get basically any sports package. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's hard to when you read some of the stuff they are pulling on these forums.

How would you feel about them had you not gotten into a forum like this to hear all this stuff, remember, you are in a very SMALL number of people that actually find out about this stuff, the majority of people never know this type of thing.
That said, ALL providers do these things, not just D*, if it's not one thing, it's another.

It's one thing to have fine print. Everybody does that. I think everyone now knows that you should read the fine print on everything.

I think it's a whole nother matter to intentionally dupe the very customers you are trying to attract. To clearly give you one phone number on their website only to say..... haha you called the wrong number is just plain wrong. I'd laugh my ass off if they got sued and had to pay big fines.

They expect you to live up your end of the deal but, they will try to cheat you out of their part of the agreement.

Who is answering this other phone number and why is OUR money being wasted employing them if what they're doing is bogus?

Who is answering this other phone number and why is OUR money being wasted employing them if what they're doing is bogus?

I'm sure it's one of their customer service reps. The rep may not even know the people are gonna get shafted for all we know. It's hard to say

So just to confirm the number to call for the refer a friend is 1-866-443-8869? I need to do this next week most likely and wanted to make sure it was a smooth process.

So just to confirm the number to call for the refer a friend is 1-866-443-8869? I need to do this next week most likely and wanted to make sure it was a smooth process.

It's anything but a smooth process. I got my order set up and was told I was all set. That was this afternoon. I was told the rebate was for 14 months. Call in tonight, it's only 12. Their website says lock in your price til 2011. That's clearly 13 and 1/2 months away. The rep on the phone said 14 months when I ordered. Again it's a 12 month credit. Plain and simple.

I asked them to look at the account and verify the referral. Guess what? No record of a referral. I suggest you call every night or every other night before you get installed and make sure you are getting everything they said they are giving you. Also, make sure you submit your rebates online RIGHT AWAY. If you wait til you are installed, you will then have to wait like 6-8 weeks for your rebate. Regardless of what number you call, I suggest you keep checking before you get installed to make sure it's there.

Having said that, they tell you it will take a couple of billing cycles before it shows up. Now you're two months into it, I suppose they can still say, what referral? Bottom line... I don't know if I'm gonna get screwed or not but, I'm gonna be dilligent in making sure I get it.

Blah.... my neighbor just signed up today using my account # for refer a friend. I really hope I get the credit, but if not I'll hit up stonecold for help getting it straight!

Blah.... my neighbor just signed up today using my account # for refer a friend. I really hope I get the credit, but if not I'll hit up stonecold for help getting it straight!

Tell your neighbor to call in two days and make sure the referral is on the order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts