Regional Sports Package

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
When I had DTV previously, I could watch games on YES and NESN with no problem. No I get the message Not Subscribed when the games come on. Has something changed ? Got no good feedback from Tech support.

When I had DTV previously, I could watch games on YES and NESN with no problem. No I get the message Not Subscribed when the games come on. Has something changed ? Got no good feedback from Tech support.

Access to programing on Regional Sports network is based on your service address. If your service address is outside of DMA of a regional sports network you can not have access to the sporting events.

If you pay for a package that carries ALL of the regional networks the only way you will get any sporting events on the Regional Sports Networks (if you are out of that channels DMA) is if a live game goes past its scheduled end then you WILL be able to view the end of the event.

John

You will get no professional sports on those channels.....Only if you sub to MLB season ticket would it go from pregame to the game....Been like that for me for years. So if your out of market you can enjoy MLB,Soccer, NHL, and NBA if you sub to those major season tickets.

If you are speaking about MLB, NHL, NBA, or MLS content, from DAY ONE the out-of-market regional sports networks are 100% blacked out during any such events, period. The out-of-market regional sports networks ONLY provide whatever else is on such channels, which is often not much. This has not "changed" it has been the rule from DAY ONE.

The completely separate pay-per-season packages for the league, such as MLB Extra Innings, are needed to view out of market feeds of pro sports.

If you live in Frederick Maryland, your local teams are the DC and Baltimore teams, not the Yankees or Red Sox.

There are some weird caviets to how the lines are drawn, In CT we are considered to be in both NY and Boston sports markets. Most cable providers in CT will provide NBC Sports Boston in the lineup as they are in the DMA. DirecTV has decided that you need to be in the northern part of the state to get NBCSB and have replaced the southern portion with MSG. Nesn is broadcast statewide.

I now live in Southern Delaware, but I can assure you and everyone else that when I lived in Frederick MD I never was blacked out from any of the pro games on YES, NESN or any other Game SN that was not in my area. Had DTV for over 15 years. The tech guy I talked to last night about not getting YES did some clicking and YES cams on my tv. He could not figure out how it happened. He said, as many of you have in this thread, that I should not get it. If I am reading this correctly, several people are saying that if you subscribe to Extra Innings, the RSN will show the game.

I now live in Southern Delaware, but I can assure you and everyone else that when I lived in Frederick MD I never was blacked out from any of the pro games on YES, NESN or any other Game SN that was not in my area. Had DTV for over 15 years. The tech guy I talked to last night about not getting YES did some clicking and YES cams on my tv. He could not figure out how it happened. He said, as many of you have in this thread, that I should not get it. If I am reading this correctly, several people are saying that if you subscribe to Extra Innings, the RSN will show the game.
Correct, if you Sub to the E.I. package, the corresponding RSN will be available, for the game only and the pre and post game shows will be blacked out ...

If you lived in MD, you didn't watch live pro games on NESN and YES without EI. The only pro sports you can watch on the Sports Pack without the league's package is select re-airs of NHL on FS-affiliates and NESN. Many MLS re-airs are viewable, too, now that I think about it. That is it and it has been that way for YEARS.

Anybody can watch most programming on those channels with the sports pack, just not pro games and select other programming, usually directly related to the pro sports team. Re-airs of most games are not viewable, even with the respective league's package.

ESPN is blacking out select college programming now, too, on the RSNs. That content is usually found on the ESPN+ service outside of the local RSN territory. Sometimes, it is on the ECE channels above 788.

Last edited:
Correct, if you Sub to the E.I. package, the corresponding RSN will be available, for the game only and the pre and post game shows will be blacked out ...

If you have the sports pack, which is what I think the OP is talking about, you will be able to watch the pre/post games on the RSN with the EI or whatever package.

Also, DMAs are for local channels. I believe they call the zone for RSNs the "territory" for the RSN, that is how I have seen it worded.

Access to programing on Regional Sports network is based on your service address. If your service address is outside of DMA of a regional sports network you can not have access to the sporting events.

If you pay for a package that carries ALL of the regional networks the only way you will get any sporting events on the Regional Sports Networks (if you are out of that channels DMA) is if a live game goes past its scheduled end then you WILL be able to view the end of the event.

John

Several to many years ago, they changed the way the blackouts work. They are able to tell when a game goes over and the entire game is blacked out somehow. No more free 9th innings.

There are odd situations with blackout rules for certain areas, but baseball seems to have the most.

Where I live, MSG, MSG Plus, YES and SNY are my home/in market RSNs. However, my areas is claimed by five MLB teams, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays, Indians and Pirates. STO and AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh are not included in base packages for me, but with a subscription to the Sports Pack or Premier, Indians and Pirates games are in the clear, no MLB EI required, all other pro sports are blacked out on those channels.

There are odd situations with blackout rules for certain areas, but baseball seems to have the most.

Where I live, MSG, MSG Plus, YES and SNY are my home/in market RSNs. However, my areas is claimed by five MLB teams, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays, Indians and Pirates. STO and AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh are not included in base packages for me, but with a subscription to the Sports Pack or Premier, Indians and Pirates games are in the clear, no MLB EI required, all other pro sports are blacked out on those channels.

This is because the claimed territories of the MLB teams date back to the early 1970s, long before RSNs or even satellite delivered TV at all. Each team just claimed what it wanted, and rather than argue about it, they just over-lapped them, leading to places claimed by as many as six teams; and places 10 and 12 hours drive from the park being "local"

Thus, MLBEI, or its app version, "black out" every team that is in your market. And DirecTV (and everybody else) sometimes offers only some of the RSNs that are "local" in the base package. For example in addition to the actual local team, the Reds, my area is claimed by both the Indians and the Pirates. So if I wanted every game, I would need MLBEI (for the other teams) and the sports pack (to get AT&T Pittsburgh and STO) since the base package gets only FSO.

If baseball had leadership, of course, it would examine the fantastic claims of these teams, based on polls, ticket sales, local media coverage, and other factors, and then INFORM the teams that their regions had been adjusted to their actual fanbase areas and the rest had been CANCELLED.

Of couse, baseball, not having a real commissioner for over 20 years now, does nothing.

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)