Reinstall issues! :(

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

targa9932001

Original poster
I hope someone can provide some insight as to what I'm doing wrong, I've never installed a dish before i just do home theater system setup's, PC work... etc.

So here is the scenario:

We had to have our roof re-done, so of course the satellite had to come off, all they did was un-mount the dish from the roof and disconnect the cable running from the box to the attic. I believe I have a dish 500 I'm not too sure, the only thing it says on the dish itself is "Dish network dish plus" and I believe it has three LNB's... One bigger one in the middle with two more one on each side. This is the best picture I have right now, hopefully it helps.
IMAG0319.jpg

So with that being said I've been using the dish 500 azimuth 204, elevation 47 and skew 115 that my VIP722HD receiver is displaying. I cannot get it to work at all, the signal strength is always 0 and when i select check switch I get an error, I've attached all the pictures I could take so I hope they help! What is wrong? :(

IMAG0315.jpgIMAG0316.jpgIMAG0317.jpgIMAG0318.jpgIMAG0320.jpg

Looks like you have a 1000+ When you say cable was removed from attic to box you are talking about the single cable running to your receiver, not the 4 leads coming from the dish correct? Second question is where are you located? Seems like the dish in your photo is pointing just about straight up. Not that it couldn't be right but I've never seen one at such a severe angle. If you use the dishpointer.com link at the top of the page and pick multi LNB setup and pick Dish 1000+ then supply your location verify that your Azimuth, Elevation and Skew are correct for your area, and also verify that you have the dish set at what it is telling you. Then run check switch and see if you come up with anything.

It does look like a 1000+ dish. This is the info that I got from dishpointer.com using a zip code in Garland, Texas.

Satellite: Dish 1000+ (110W, 118.7W, 119W, 129W)
Elevation: 44.7°
Azimuth (true): 217.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 213.2°

"CONN" in the check switch screen means that it is connected properly, but is not receiving signal, which means the dish is not peaked properly.

hdflsts2002: The only cable they removed was the one that is now plugged into the "Power Inserter" slot. I'm not sure if that is where it was but by what I researched I suspect it is. The only reason the dish is pointed at that angle is because I was fiddling with it and then I gave up... however that is probably because I was using Dish 500 as the dish system.

MattG: This does make more sense, but just a question, I still don't quite understand what the difference between Azimuth (true) & (magn.) are... is (magn.) the value I should use if i was using an actual compass? I am using my Android smartphone as a compass so which one should I use? Also, do I not have a Skew?

Was asking about the cable to make certain that none of the sat runs to the DPP44 were moved. So seems the only real issue is your pointing settings. Use those that Matt provided or use the Dishpointer.com link above and put your exact location in to be certain that the numbers Matt provided work for your location.

the "f output" 118 should go to the number 4 input of the switch.
I'm not sure why, but its recommended
if wires were swapped around maybe he should run a switch test after pointing (I know I would)

So I pointed the dish based on putting my exact address at dishpointer.com using dish 1000+
Elevation: 44.8°
Azimuth (true): 217.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 213.2°
Dish Skew [?]: 120.4°
arrow-r.png

But alas, I still have the same issue... I unplugged my receiver from the power outlet, then put it back in after a minute... rebooted, it ran check switch but came up with the same errors that I had before and I got the same screens as the pictures attached in my first post. I'm at a loss... what else could I try? I noticed that when at the point dish screen I don't have an option for dish 1000+... only 300, 500, and SuperDish. Does this matter at all?

Last edited:
Keep it simple...

As a DIRT said, your connections are OK, but you need to aim the dish. I would double check the mast for plumb, as an out of plumb mast makes everything impossible with the published aiming data.

Set the azimuth to the direction that is needed then move the dish in one degree increments until the signal is registered. If you don't hit it, go back the other way sweeping about a 10 degree arc. Give it a minute between moves to allow the receiver to display something.

Pointing a dish is not difficult, as long as you stick to and do the basics. I'd forget the phone compass and use the cracker jack prize version. That's all I ever needed. Use dishpointer.com too and try aiming over a reference point. Another trick is to reverse the azimuth while you walk with the compass about 100' away. Mark the spot with something like a flag or lawn mower then point the dish to that mark.

You will need a service tech out buddy. Your not going to tune in a 1000+ unless you know what your doing, especially if the roofers put the dish up half a$$. You will never get it tuned in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)