Reliability issues with 722k?

You do realize all 722 and 722K will be refurbished units. From the number of posts it looks like the consumer is the one doing the tests, if it powers up DISH is sending it out and hoping it works.

LOL! They may go as far as to put in a new/known good hard drive. Dish must get good shipping rates...

I've had my 722k for a few years and have never had any problems with it, it sits on top of my TV stand and TV is mounted to the wall, so it get's lots of ventilation.

Yeah, they def do more than power up the receiver during the testing process. The testing process is actually pretty in depth and the unit is fully functional before being put back into rotation.

Perhaps that is what is supposed to happen, but based on my personal experience with 4 refurbished 722 series and now two 722ks. I don't believe they are but IF they are their testing is woefully inadequate! If you disagree then how else do you explain my experience (mentioned in a previous post) of receiving four (yes 4!) DOA 722 before receiving a fifth that finally worked? Also my LATEST experience is with a 722k which I had for about a year when it failed to boot. Dish sent a replacement for it last week. Care to guess if it worked? Well, let me spare you the wait, the answer is NO!!! Yet another DOA refurbished unit!!! Dish had to send a tech out and he had to go back to his shop to get another. This one does work, for now. While I love Dish and the 72k, I am totally frustrated with Dish quality and find it sorely lacking! As much as I dislike Direct, I am now looking into changing for the first time in 16 or so years. Another thing that aggravates me is that Dish did not even offer any kind of deal for my down time while waiting for a new unit. Actually they did offer 90 days of their Showtime and Blockbuster package which rolls over to pay after the 90 days. WOW! Sadly, Charlie is too comfortable now and does not seem anywhere near as motivated as the early days and the Charlie Chat era.
Here’s wishing everyone a safe and Happy New year guys and I hope you all have better luck with your Dish receivers than I have!

Richard

Actually if you go online you can change what happens when the free period ends. You can select cancel the free channels. I know it does not help with the string of DOA 722s, but at least you can take the free channels they offered.

Well either way having anything that blocks or gives off heat on top of a satellite receiver is never a good idea.

I've had replacements over the years and never personally had a DOA. Do you live in a cold area? (just curious) Does your UPS / FEDEX driver appear to care about the packages he delivers? Maybe they are being tossed around or maybe they are in a cold truck or shop for a period of time which is causing issues. I'm sure getting DOAs is not fun but if you look at the amount of people who get replacements and have no problem with them, I would say your case is a corner case and most likely there has to be some other variable that has an impact, Imo.

With as many problems you have described all being power failure or DOA, it honestly makes me think maybe the problem is on your end, maybe having something to do with the power source or some other factor. That many DOAs happening to the same person but not wide spread rules out a bad batch or poor testing in my eyes. Maybe you did get that many bad recievers but to me it sounds like the issue may lie elsewhere.

Perhaps that is what is supposed to happen, but based on my personal experience with 4 refurbished 722 series and now two 722ks. I don't believe they are but IF they are their testing is woefully inadequate! If you disagree then how else do you explain my experience (mentioned in a previous post) of receiving four (yes 4!) DOA 722 before receiving a fifth that finally worked? Also my LATEST experience is with a 722k which I had for about a year when it failed to boot. Dish sent a replacement for it last week. Care to guess if it worked? Well, let me spare you the wait, the answer is NO!!! Yet another DOA refurbished unit!!! Dish had to send a tech out and he had to go back to his shop to get another. This one does work, for now. While I love Dish and the 72k, I am totally frustrated with Dish quality and find it sorely lacking! As much as I dislike Direct, I am now looking into changing for the first time in 16 or so years. Another thing that aggravates me is that Dish did not even offer any kind of deal for my down time while waiting for a new unit. Actually they did offer 90 days of their Showtime and Blockbuster package which rolls over to pay after the 90 days. WOW! Sadly, Charlie is too comfortable now and does not seem anywhere near as motivated as the early days and the Charlie Chat era.
Here’s wishing everyone a safe and Happy New year guys and I hope you all have better luck with your Dish receivers than I have!

Richard

Sometimes I get the impression like you said, Charlie does not give a damn. With the shares he owns and a looming recession I would.:confused:

That is why I purchase new receivers, no contract, no auto-pay and can cancel anytime. Like you, I have as you been a continous customer for 16 years.

Last edited:
My two 722Ks never lost any programs over the two years I have had them. But recently one experienced complete hard drive failure, so I am replacing the whole system with one Hopper and two Joeys. I wouldn't blame it on the 722K though, because hard drives fail all the time. Come to think of it... has anyone ever had success replacing a Dish hard drive with an SSD? I bet the performance would be wonderful, but the cost for the same amount of storage would be pretty high. Might improve the reliability of the unit though.

I have had my 722K purchased unit for nearly two years and it has been the most rock solid Dish DVR I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Went thru a couple plain 722's. Keep a cooling fan on mine all the time and just checked my temps and they are H 111, Low 78, Avg 96. It sits in the open on a shelf with nothing on or around it. I find it amazing how some folks always seem to have problems and others do not.

I've had replacements over the years and never personally had a DOA. Do you live in a cold area? (just curious) Does your UPS / FEDEX driver appear to care about the packages he delivers? Maybe they are being tossed around or maybe they are in a cold truck or shop for a period of time which is causing issues. I'm sure getting DOAs is not fun but if you look at the amount of people who get replacements and have no problem with them, I would say your case is a corner case and most likely there has to be some other variable that has an impact, Imo.

With as many problems you have described all being power failure or DOA, it honestly makes me think maybe the problem is on your end, maybe having something to do with the power source or some other factor. That many DOAs happening to the same person but not wide spread rules out a bad batch or poor testing in my eyes. Maybe you did get that many bad recievers but to me it sounds like the issue may lie elsewhere.

You missed the post where I stated that they sent out a tech TWICE to make sure EVERYTHING was as it should be. Everything here checked out perfectly. After the first few failures I began running everything through a computer battery backup so that my entire system including DLP TV, surround receiver and DISH are all isolated from power fluctuations and glitches. NO brownouts or noise etc. As I state previously some of the 722s AND my just replaced 722k were all DEAD ON ARRIVAL!!!!!. I believe I still have the last techs phone number if you doubt this. He wasn't too happy that he had to travel back to get another unit to replace the 722k since he didn't have one with him.

My 722 has been rock solid for a few years, but it's just starting to act up. Recorded programs will stutter and even freeze up when played back. It's in a cabinet, but the room is pretty cold this time of year. I'll check the HD diags and see what temps it's running at. Hope I don't have to replace it. I guess I should offload it's contents to an EXT HD.

Followup: Avg HD temp is 117°, highest 134°. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Thought it might have something to do with the Sling Adapter so I unplugged that and rebooted. Still stutters and freezes, only when playing back a recorded program. I can watch a live program, pause it, and watch delayed with all ff/skip/rew working fine. You'd think if the problem was the drive it would have issues while buffering as well. I know it's not a signal issue as the same recordings used to play fine (and would block/pixelate instead of stutter/freeze).

Hate to RMA it but it looks like I might have to. The WAF is not taking it very well. Stormed off to watch the 211 in the bedroom when it was acting up last night. I'm going to transfer everything to an EXT drive (if it works) and delete everything. If that doesn't do it I guess I'm playing refurb roulette.

You missed the post where I stated that they sent out a tech TWICE to make sure EVERYTHING was as it should be. Everything here checked out perfectly. After the first few failures I began running everything through a computer battery backup so that my entire system including DLP TV, surround receiver and DISH are all isolated from power fluctuations and glitches. NO brownouts or noise etc. As I state previously some of the 722s AND my just replaced 722k were all DEAD ON ARRIVAL!!!!!. I believe I still have the last techs phone number if you doubt this. He wasn't too happy that he had to travel back to get another unit to replace the 722k since he didn't have one with him.

Just to update everyone, this 722k lasted until November 2013 or three years and 8 months. I am expecting its replacement sometime today. I hope the new one lasts at least as long!

Just to update everyone, this 722k lasted until November 2013 or three years and 8 months. I am expecting its replacement sometime today. I hope the new one lasts at least as long!

Just to update, the 722k arrived and during the setup , IT DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a shock!!!!! I noticed a made in China sticker. Oh well, I think I will try a Hopper and see if it is any more reliable. :^(

Just to update, the 722k arrived and during the setup , IT DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a shock!!!!! I noticed a made in China sticker. Oh well, I think I will try a Hopper and see if it is any more reliable. :^(

Hopper is a great receiver, to me it's the best DVR out there today. That being said, it's too bad to hear about your 722, those are usually very solid!

Define it died.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)